DIY Ironwood Hopper Cutting Board

n_maher

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Hello there, new Traeger Ironwood 885 owner. I purchased it a few weeks ago after quite a bit of research, understanding the pros and cons of what I was getting into and so far the grill/smoker/oven has lived up to expectations. I was originally looking at the Timberline but after seeing one in a showroom and figuring that for me, the narrow front shelf was just about useless, I settled on the Ironwood. I really like the overall look of the Timberline and being a DIY guy, figured that I'd set about modifying the IW to look a little less plain black everywhere. First project - make a magnetic cutting board cover for the pellet hopper. Rather than have it be inset like on the Timberline, I decided that bigger was better and to have it overhang the hopper cover. I ordered a 17" x 12" bamboo cutting board from Amazon, along with some small but strong magnets, and started figuring out how I wanted to do things. I happen to have some fun tools in my shop, like a CNC router and a laser engraver, so it was a pretty simple affair once I'd decided on the depth of the recess and size of the overhangs. Did the machining and engraving yesterday evening and glued in the magnets tonight. For a first prototype I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

Overall
1AE191B8-48B8-439C-A626-8D73A5475C0C_1_105_c.jpeg

Magnets work
534341A1-52F8-4E0F-B472-0A57110DB764_1_105_c.jpeg

Underside (still needs finish)
1B089390-C395-49B4-BB56-40BA7C72846A_1_105_c.jpeg

Cover still fits
A689F04B-037B-4A62-8963-9351CC305F70_1_105_c.jpeg

Next up, a bottom shelf between the legs for storage, then some sort of folding front shelf. And in full disclosure, I guess technically the first mod that I did to the grill was to install LavaLock gasket material around the lid. It should have come that way from the factory.

Beautiful job on that piece, CNC router and Laser Engraver? Holy Cow!

I would set those magnets in epoxy or something to seal over the top of them as I've seen many of these plated magnets shed the plating over time and get nasty. The original has the magnets inside the wood laminations so they are invisible.

Thanks for the compliment, the plan is to let the wood finish cover the magnets which will hopefully protect them adequately but only time will tell. I'll probably make a second with a few tweaks (including fewer, larger mags if I can find flat ones) as the machine time isn't too bad. It took about an hour and a half to machine the pocket and the engraving only took 10 minutes. I may eventually make a fancier version, but for now this will certainly do.

I also think this is a way more functional size compared to the board that they put on the Timberlines. It's a great idea (removable shelf, essentially) so you can take hot food directly off the grill and then have a way to carry it somewhere, but at 9.5" X 13.5" you'd run out of room fast. This board is about as large as can comfortably fit under the cover.

:ROFLMAO:

That's not really in the works. If I end up with a spare or two through tinkering I'll offer them to the community here but I work enough as it is!

:ROFLMAO:

That's not really in the works. If I end up with a spare or two through tinkering I'll offer them to the community here but I work enough as it is!
Fair enough, thought id ask! The Traeger cutting boards are expensive up here and I wanted one for the Ironwood but not at a Traeger cost :p

Fair enough, thought id ask! The Traeger cutting boards are expensive up here and I wanted one for the Ironwood but not at a Traeger cost :p

I did look into this for you - I just shipped a friend a small item via USPS and the shipping for a 1lb item from me to Canada was $27. Yikes.

It's $33 CAD so not terrible, but everything Traeger is pricey...especially in Canada. Amazed to see $100 off the Pro Grills right now.

It's $33 CAD so not terrible, but everything Traeger is pricey...especially in Canada. Amazed to see $100 off the Pro Grills right now.
does that sale take place up here? normally they dont....

This looks great. If you do ever start selling them, let me know. I'm in Connecticut so shipping shouldn't be too much.

I make these for sale on Etsy and at hoppertoppers.com. Yours looks great!

Attachments

• 603F40C6-ABCF-449A-8A75-EB678550E924.jpeg
    603F40C6-ABCF-449A-8A75-EB678550E924.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 663220CA-06B9-4C51-AC58-8C41D33C4E9A.jpeg
    663220CA-06B9-4C51-AC58-8C41D33C4E9A.jpeg
    132.5 KB · Views: 189
OMG this is wicked!!! nice job man - are you taking orders ?

Latest Discussions

Back