Directly replace Traeger ele161 with Traeger ele162 ?

trevpipes

Reaction score
Grill
silverton 620 & Camp chef se/24 w/ sear box, Traeger 22 w/ hillbilly sear station
Hi fellas,
I am new here and I came with a question. I have had a little Traeger 20 or 22 for a while and I liked it so much when a friend had a 620 for sale, I got it. My little 20 or 22 had the super smoke setting, very upsetting the Silverton 620 does not. Looking through the internet, I think I found them. It appears that I have the Traeger D2 Controller, ELE161 . The one I think I need is Traeger D2 Controller ELE262 . Is this correct ? Is it a direct replacement ?

Also, I have only found 1 place on the internet that sells them and they are out. Is there anywhere else that sells them, and hopefully cheaper too ?

Thanks so much for helping the new guy,
-trevor

I noticed the crickets on your post. I'd love to add the super smoke to my Silverton 610, so I'm watching for any replies. ;)

I am going to get rid of the smoker and buy something else soon. Seems bullshit that Traeger would take away features (super smoke) that are available on their basic cheaper models to make the highest priced Silverton 820 look better then the Silverton 620. Camp chef is a cheap smoker, but with all the add-ons and possibilities for expansion and their new PID controller, that is the route I am going, plus they have the side sear box that finishes off the prime rib perfectly, traeger has nothing like this.

even if I want to replace the damn controller, it costs $ 350 to replace. I will sell my Traeger 620 for 400, and just be done with them (except for my 20 or 22, I can always count on that little buddy, and if I can fit it in there, it always turns out great !!)

Last edited:
Sounds reasonable. I have to admit that I've been disappointed with the low or complete lack of smoke flavoring on some of my meats. I bought the Turkey pellets (for $30, mind you; came with a brine mix I could have made myself), then smoked a turkey for about six hours; couldn't taste any smoke in the bird. While I'm enjoying the new toy, I've been a little disappointed with the results.

I believe I'll find a way to communicate this with Costco. I don't understand why they don't just sell the same models as the Traeger dealers - including ones with super smoke!

I 100% agree, I cooked 8 or 9 prime ribs for family and my general contractors I work for, and they turned out beautifully, I like to put it on the smoke, or super smoke setting for a couple hours before cooking, then it is saturated with that smoke flavor when you are done, even after a reverse sear. I just tried some basic chicken thighs that way last night, best I've ever eaten by far, I had no idea chicken could taste that way. I put on the super smoke setting for an hour and a half, then brought up to temp 350 until they were done around 170. Phenomenal !! Probably I am doing something wrong, smoking/grilling this way, but I love how that stuff tastes. I haven't really screwed any meat up that way (dried out), but even if I had, that smoky taste seems would more than make up for it. The only prime rib I could not even taste the smoke was on that silverton 620 with no super smoke setting. Im spoiled now, that smoky taste is addictive !!

Btw, yes, I think mine was originally from Costco too. Generally Costco is really on the ball with the best products and brands, must have been they just missed this, doubt they would just want to not have that smoke feature on a pellet grill.

Last edited:
I hear you, but I am real particular to my smoking foods. No thanks on the pellet tube, used them before on a bbq, just not for me. Guess I didnt know the difference between a pellet grill and a pellet smoker at the time. And yes I was extremely disappointed with the 620, like I said, I like the smoke flavor and without it, the 620 is 100% worthless to me.

I didnt mean for the extreme reaction, probably because I was eating a chicken thigh off that smoked chicken from last night, damn was it good !!

Last edited:
No thanks on the pellet tube, used them before on a bbq,

Well they work pretty freaking good in a Traeger but suit yourself, we all here have regular smokers also, and I've been smoking meat for 20 years before I got a Traeger so I know what "smoke flavor" you are talking about but I like it when my wife says the meals off my Traeger are the best she's ever had, that makes it worth it.

I agree. I haven't done much smoking up until the last couple of years, except when I was a kid we smoked up tons of barracuda & fish we caught, but that was mostly brined and into that cheap tin little chef smoker, totally different animal. Yea, I appreciate your help, was just looking at the Traeger recipes, then the comments became more helpful on the recipes, then evolution migrated me here and also to the camp chef forum. Both equally really cool sites, so helpful on both brands. glad I found you guys

I'm pretty new to the smoking game; just grilled prior to buying the Silverton 620. I've never heard of a smoking tube. Where can I find that? I've invested in this grill, and if I can get the smoke flavor I want by buying a $20 product I'm game to try it.

Duh - sorry. Overlooked it. I thought it was part of your footer. Thanks!

Where to you place it within the Traeger? Also, I've read posts about other Traeger owners having problems keeping the smoking tube lit. I guess I'll have to experiment with placement to ensure it gets enough oxygen.

Duh - sorry. Overlooked it. I thought it was part of your footer. Thanks!

Where to you place it within the Traeger? Also, I've read posts about other Traeger owners having problems keeping the smoking tube lit. I guess I'll have to experiment with placement to ensure it gets enough oxygen.
Hi Dave, you can get them at lowes, or amazon, Home Depot too, although they may only have the smoking chip box, not the tubes at Home Depot Someone else would tell you better where to put it, I only used in bbq.

Sounds reasonable. I have to admit that I've been disappointed with the low or complete lack of smoke flavoring on some of my meats. I bought the Turkey pellets (for $30, mind you; came with a brine mix I could have made myself), then smoked a turkey for about six hours; couldn't taste any smoke in the bird. While I'm enjoying the new toy, I've been a little disappointed with the results.

I believe I'll find a way to communicate this with Costco. I don't understand why they don't just sell the same models as the Traeger dealers - including ones with super smoke!
Mine used to give a great smoked flavor but suddenly stopped
and just think a $20 smoking tube can give you all the smoke you need on a Traeger ... WOW, these are some extreme reactions I say.

My Traeger stopped giving smoke flavor so resorted to a pellet tube. I love the smoke it imparts, but there is thick, sticky residue remaining that is impossible to clean. Any solutions?

but there is thick, sticky residue remaining that is impossible to clean. Any solutions?

Burn it with a torch... that is basically creosote and the only way to rid it is to burn it till it's hard and just flakes off...

I'm gonna try to put mine in my gas grill and crank it up, covered with an AL pan, that should burn it off...

Back