Difference between priming auger an starting up.

Renegade626

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger tailgater
In order for me to start up the traeger do I have to prime the auger every time? Or can I just set the temp on the controller an hit ignite to start it up? Thanks in advance.

After you prime it once it is good to go every time. UNLESS you purge and clean the auger tube, then you will have to prime the auger again.

After you prime it once it is good to go every time. UNLESS you purge and clean the auger tube, then you will have to prime the auger again.
Oooo ok thanks a lot. That’s what I was thinking to myself why would I have to prime it everytime if there’s pellets in the auger still.

Although, if you vacuum the pellets out of the firepot while cleaning. You will have to put back in what you vacuumed out. I just take out of the hopper to do this.

Although, if you vacuum the pellets out of the firepot while cleaning. You will have to put back in what you vacuumed out. I just take out of the hopper to do this.

I don't even do that, it just takes the "ignite" cycle a little longer but it still works without adding pellets back.
But either way don't hurt nothing.

I don't even do that, it just takes the "ignite" cycle a little longer but it still works without adding pellets back.
But either way don't hurt nothing.
Same with me. There’s always enough in the “pipe” to get things going

I clear the augur and vacuum out the augur shaft (as well as the fire pot) every couple months or so. I’ve had trouble with dust build up interfering with ignition. After clearing and vacuuming the augur shaft and fire pot the augur must be primed.

I clear the augur and vacuum out the augur shaft (as well as the fire pot) every couple months or so. I’ve had trouble with dust build up interfering with ignition. After clearing and vacuuming the augur shaft and fire pot the augur must be primed.

I bought this to cure that... https://www.oklahomajoes.com/pellet-bucket-kit (shop around for the best price, I only paid that $25)

Traeger pellets are the worst for dust

Good idea Slim. You like this better than the Traeger buckets?

I use it only to sift... I use HD buckets for storage. Sift before you add to the hopper.
I've done a test with that, half full of Traeger pellets, half full of bear mountain... Traeger left a serious amount of dust in the bottom compared to Bear Mountain, (and I suspect a lot of other brands are also less dusty too)

Back