Did a bad thing... Went and looked at Tragers...

Improved700

Reaction score
Grill
Currently gas. Looking to upgrade
Long time grill user. Mainly propane, and charcoal with a Weber's and cheap kamado grills. Been looking to jump into a pellet grill and dump my rotted our propane grill that gets replaced every 2 years or so.

Family of 3. Wife is not a huge fan of "smoky" taste. She likes steaks, chops, burgers and brats. I love a good slow cooked brisket, ribs, turkey. Also enjoy making jerky and snack sticks and sausage from venison.

Been looking online at the Pro 575 and Pro 780. The 780 seems quite big for what I would use/need. Also looked online at the Costco Silverton 620, as the larger one is no longer available.
Did a very bad thing tonight and went to Scheels Sports, where they have them all. The Pro, Ironwood and Timberline. While I assume the Pro 575 will do what I need, and last a good long time, I cannot get over the bulk and feel of the Timberline. The thing is a beast and built like a tank.

While I am not really in the mood to drop $1800 on a Timberline 850, it's hard to not like it over the Pro. To compound my dilemma, they have what appears to be a "demo" model. It's been cooked on no doubt, and has a hopper full of pellets, however not sure about temp probe, manuals and the like. This demo model is marked down to $1399, and has been on the floor since July 2020.

So now, I am at a crossroads on what to do. The Pro 575 is $800 the Pro 780 is $1000. Part of me want's to talk to the store/department manager and try to negotiate some on the Timberline 850, and see if I can get it down. Offer them $1000 and see what they say. If that were to happen (which is doubtful) I would pick that up in a heartbeat. If negotiation is not possible, it's still a great price for a top of the line unit, and reduces the delta to $600 between the Pro 575 and the Timber 850.

So, my question to the Trager Nation, will the Pro 575 do the trick? Hold out for the Costco Roadshow that will be in my area in a couple weeks, or try and negotiate on the demo unit? If the demo unit, what shouldI be looking for to make sure I have what I need.

Thanks and look forward to joining the Trager Nation !!!
Kevin in Wisconsin

I started with a Costco Sliverton 810, then turned it in and went with a Timberline... The Timberline is far more grill than the Costco offering. If you can get a good deal,, I would go with it....

I just got the Timberline 1300 last weekend. I was hesitant about shelling out that kind of money on a gril. Now, I am glad I did! Go with the Timberline. It is a hell of a deal as a demo.

Steeleshark2... Congratulations on joining the Timberline Club, the 1300 is a hell of a Grill and even better if you can buy a Demo unit (any bugs should have been worked out...).

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the input. Going to try and negotiate a little on the demo unit this Sunday I'll update with the results!

Someone may be able to correct me, but it looks like the Timberline has insulated construction. If you are in Wisconsin, that may provide some benefit. I have the Pro 575 and am enjoying it, but I haven't yet used it in the cold.

The Timberline is double walled, but not insulated by default (see RemE’s covid project for insulation instructions). I have followed his instructions and my unit stays cool even at high temps.
Now my lid stays at around 100 when the grill is set at 450+ for over an hour. Side walls are cool to the touch.
‘various installation photos are on the thread. Additionally the unit burns fewer pellets than before.

Well, smoke only happens below 225 degrees, any temp above that is wood fired. Mother-in-law issues exactly like that. Just get the one you want, if you change your mind in 5 years, that's ok too
My timberline 1300 uses about the same amount of pellets as my tailgater

My Timberline 1300 is in use at least 3 times a week! Never a problem!

Long time grill user. Mainly propane, and charcoal with a Weber's and cheap kamado grills. Been looking to jump into a pellet grill and dump my rotted our propane grill that gets replaced every 2 years or so.

Family of 3. Wife is not a huge fan of "smoky" taste. She likes steaks, chops, burgers and brats. I love a good slow cooked brisket, ribs, turkey. Also enjoy making jerky and snack sticks and sausage from venison.

Been looking online at the Pro 575 and Pro 780. The 780 seems quite big for what I would use/need. Also looked online at the Costco Silverton 620, as the larger one is no longer available.
Did a very bad thing tonight and went to Scheels Sports, where they have them all. The Pro, Ironwood and Timberline. While I assume the Pro 575 will do what I need, and last a good long time, I cannot get over the bulk and feel of the Timberline. The thing is a beast and built like a tank.

While I am not really in the mood to drop $1800 on a Timberline 850, it's hard to not like it over the Pro. To compound my dilemma, they have what appears to be a "demo" model. It's been cooked on no doubt, and has a hopper full of pellets, however not sure about temp probe, manuals and the like. This demo model is marked down to $1399, and has been on the floor since July 2020.

So now, I am at a crossroads on what to do. The Pro 575 is $800 the Pro 780 is $1000. Part of me want's to talk to the store/department manager and try to negotiate some on the Timberline 850, and see if I can get it down. Offer them $1000 and see what they say. If that were to happen (which is doubtful) I would pick that up in a heartbeat. If negotiation is not possible, it's still a great price for a top of the line unit, and reduces the delta to $600 between the Pro 575 and the Timber 850.

So, my question to the Trager Nation, will the Pro 575 do the trick? Hold out for the Costco Roadshow that will be in my area in a couple weeks, or try and negotiate on the demo unit? If the demo unit, what shouldI be looking for to make sure I have what I need.

Thanks and look forward to joining the Trager Nation !!!
Kevin in Wisconsin
I have the Timberline 850 and live in the mountains in NC and am smoking a Boston Butt now in 23 degree weather. Temp is constant, pellet use is about the same as if warmer..this Timberline is great. I also would listen to the previous post and bookmark RemE..

Latest Discussions

Back