Crazy Temps on Ironwood 885

GrillMeister

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Century 22, BGEx2, GMG Davey Crockett
Is anyone having crazy temps on their Ironwood?

Smoked some wings & thighs today and then bumped it to 350 for crisping. It almost got to 400 degrees when the set temp was 350. WTF?

It's possible the barrel RTD is messed up which gives the feedback of actual temp inside the cooking barrel back to the d2 controller.

What did it do after that, did you let it run its course? It might have just blown by the finish line then come back down. Quite often when I change temps it takes a while for it to settle in, sometimes it overruns the setting and other times it stops short but it works its way in before too long.

I'm guessing when I say it may be common for the unit to overshoot the target temp a) at startup and b) during a huge target temperature change but then descend and stabilize within a few minutes. I say this because it's not uncommon for my unit to overshoot x% during the PH cycle but I don't fret because it smooths-out rather quickly.

Did yours stay at 390+, or did it come back down to 350 within a few minutes?

I had bumped the temp from 220 to 350 to crisp the skin. It has been doing fine till then. I went to check on it about 30 minutes later and found it at this temp. Strange.

I had bumped the temp from 220 to 350 to crisp the skin. It has been doing fine till then. I went to check on it about 30 minutes later and found it at this temp. Strange.

I do expect when I ramp up the temp that it would overshoot for a short period of time before settling in, however not for a long time frame. I find up here in Canada at -6C with a breeze when I set it at 275 it will modulate between 265 and 285 which is to be expected when it is cooler and without a blanket. Are you in a cooler climate? If not the RTD could b a bit flakey. Test run it again and watch it. Cheers.

Strange, I've had that happen before and I lifted the lid a little to let the temp drop slowly. Once it hit 350, it stabilized. When is the last time you cleaned out the fire pot? What pellets were you using?

I clean every couple of a cooks. I've been using B&B pellets for years without issue. I think I'll do some more testing with a MEATER probe as that will give me a real time graph of the temp spikes vs set temp. Thanks.

Latest Discussions

Back