Costco Traeger 885 Century little smoke, should I order a Costco 810 Silverton

tracker99

Reaction score
Grill
Costco 885 Century
My Costco Traeger 885 Century has very little smoke, should I order a Costco 810 Silverton with Super Smoke?

All of my friends have older Traegers. 5-7 years old. Thus I bought a Costco Traeger 885 Century. Theirs all smoke great and they were much cheaper. Very little smoke generated on my new Traeger. May as well cook in the regular oven.

Should I order a Costco 810 Silverton or go with another brand?

Anyone have experience yet with the Costco 810 Silverton?

Has Traeger lost their edge?

Is there a brand that performs better than a Traeger?

I have called Traeger twice about this problem and as soon as I say Costco they literally hang up on me.

Thanks for your advice.

Had an older Traeger, loved it. Never any issues with it at all. Gave me a little side business. I was getting a little larger so I figured I would step up my game, sold the old one and upgraded to the 750 Pro. MISTAKE... Almost no smoke, paid extra for this outdoor oven. I read about the blue smoke it put out, and just thought Trager knows what is right. I was wrong. Why do the cheaper units still have a smoke option on the controller, and the more expensive units have a Super Smoke option? I had to buy a smoke tube, and it helped a little but not much. I lost 2 customers because they were disappointed in the way the ribs tasted, and now I am not cooking for anyone else till I get this figured out. I did contact Traeger, with no return call back to me. I used to be one of their biggest supporters in the past, but losing faith in them by the day. I am also going to use a different pellet and see if that helps with the flavor, and maybe I can get a smoke ring which is something the last cooks of ribs I did were lacking.

Isaiah, I just ordered the Silverton 810, can you tell me the dimensions of it? Also, what are you loving about the 810 versus others? Thanks in advance if you can help!!

It's pretty big. At least bigger than my old Junior Elite 20, haha! 56" wide x 28" deep x 46" tall.

As for what I love about the 810, I love just about everything about it. Again, I'm coming from a Junior Elite 20.
  • Larger hopper can hold an entire bag of pellets
  • Pellet hopper clean out (once you figure out how to change them out effectively)
  • Large grilling surface with a top shelf
  • Ability to reach entire grill surface (because the lid opens up all the way)
  • The storage under the grill
  • WiFIRE
  • 500 degrees
  • Super Smoke
  • The grease bucket inside the cabinet
  • Much more even cooking temp throughout a cook
I'm a big fan and have had nothing but great experiences so far.

It's pretty big. At least bigger than my old Junior Elite 20, haha! 56" wide x 28" deep x 46" tall.

As for what I love about the 810, I love just about everything about it. Again, I'm coming from a Junior Elite 20.
  • Larger hopper can hold an entire bag of pellets
  • Pellet hopper clean out (once you figure out how to change them out effectively)
  • Large grilling surface with a top shelf
  • Ability to reach entire grill surface (because the lid opens up all the way)
  • The storage under the grill
  • WiFIRE
  • 500 degrees
  • Super Smoke
  • The grease bucket inside the cabinet
  • Much more even cooking temp throughout a cook
I'm a big fan and have had nothing but great experiences so far.
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.
I bought the Silverton 620 and it pissed me off that it doesn’t have the super smoke option. Other than that, it’s been pretty good. I was looking at the manual and looked like it had the super smoke but then realized it wasn’t on my model number even though initially it was on the app when I installed it but then it disappeared. I went ahead and purchased the 810 for the super smoke option and bigger size. Waiting for it to come in……I ordered it last week on Wednesday and still haven’t heard anything about it shipping. Once I get word on delivery, I will send back the 620. How long did it take to deliver yours once you ordered it? Also I saw your comment about the tray liner… You have to order it with traeger over the phone?

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it.
I bought the Silverton 620 and it pissed me off that it doesn’t have the super smoke option. Other than that, it’s been pretty good. I was looking at the manual and looked like it had the super smoke but then realized it wasn’t on my model number even though initially it was on the app when I installed it but then it disappeared. I went ahead and purchased the 810 for the super smoke option and bigger size. Waiting for it to come in……I ordered it last week on Wednesday and still haven’t heard anything about it shipping. Once I get word on delivery, I will send back the 620. How long did it take to deliver yours once you ordered it? Also I saw your comment about the tray liner… You have to order it with traeger over the phone?
Took just over 3 weeks from the day I ordered to the day it was delivered.

And yes, order the liners direct from Traeger for the time being. Give them the BAC597 number and have them assign your grill to your account so they can find it easier in the future. Takes about a week for them to arrive but the grill comes with 3 so plan accordingly.

My Costco Traeger 885 Century has very little smoke, should I order a Costco 810 Silverton with Super Smoke?

All of my friends have older Traegers. 5-7 years old. Thus I bought a Costco Traeger 885 Century. Theirs all smoke great and they were much cheaper. Very little smoke generated on my new Traeger. May as well cook in the regular oven.

Should I order a Costco 810 Silverton or go with another brand?

Anyone have experience yet with the Costco 810 Silverton?

Has Traeger lost their edge?

Is there a brand that performs better than a Traeger?

I have called Traeger twice about this problem and as soon as I say Costco they literally hang up on me.

Thanks for your advice.
I wouldn’t buy from Costco or Home Depot if you can afford to. They partnered with Traeger and set a price point. This came at a cost of different materials and setup so they aren’t exactly the same as a unit you’d buy at Ace Hardware or directly from Traeger.

FYI I called Trager before buying and they confirmed Ace is the place or their website for the most authentic version.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t buy from Costco or Home Depot if you can afford to. They partnered with Traeger and set a price point. This cane at a cost of different materials and setup so they aren’t exCtly the dame as a unit you’d buy at Ace Hardware or directly from Traeger.

FYI I called Trager before buying and they confirmed Ace is the place or their website for the most authentic version.
I’d be hard-pressed to find where my Silverton isn’t as good as any other grill they offer.

I’d be hard-pressed to find where my Silverton isn’t as good as any other grill they offer.
Not sure, I just know it’s not quite apples to apples compared to their website or Ace in regards to the Ironwood. Plus that specific one is an extra $600, why not buy a larger pellet grill like an ironwood 885 for the money?

or in other words, what does spending the extra money on a Silverton gain you? I think my Costco was selling them for almost $1400, but you can get an ironwood 885 for less.

Back