Costco’s Silverton 620/820 issue

Dcgunman

Reaction score
Grill
Century 885
I’ve posted this over in the Facebook Rookie forum already.
I purchased the Silverton 620 at Costco almost 2 weeks ago. Got it home and assembled it and seasoned the grill per instructions. Over the weekend I used it 5 times. Monday I cleaned it. While cleaning the grill I noticed one of the four wing screws holding the HotPot was missing. No big deal. The 3 screws was secure. Then I noticed the inside aluminum siding (underneath the HotPot & Drip tray was held on to the front and back by 1 screw in the middle (front and back). So the it wasn’t up flush against the grill frame. I had a 1/8” to 1/4”gap on the right side. I could push it flush against the frame but it would go back to a gap once I let go.
So I called the T CS the next day about the missing screw. She was glad to send me the missing screw. While on the phone I mentioned about the (possible design flaw) on the inside aluminum lining. She put me on video chat with my phone so she could see what I was talking about. After 10 minutes with her she put me on hold and showed tech support. She came back 5 minutes later and said they will send me a new 620. They (and I) think this could be a fire issue later on down the line with grease flowing down the side (inside between the aluminum siding and the actual grill frame). There is no way to get to this to clean it up unless you take apart the HotPot/ignitor & the 2 screws holding the underneath/side lining.

Do you think that is a design flaw that could be in all 620s?

My 620 is only 1 week old & has only been cooked on 1 time because of constant rain.

Should be able to get a 2nd cook by this Friday or Saturday.

Will have to check that out before I fire it up again.

Traeger sure seems to quickly replace grills instead of fixing them.

Do you think that is a design flaw that could be in all 620s?

My 620 is only 1 week old & has only been cooked on 1 time because of constant rain.

Should be able to get a 2nd cook by this Friday or Saturday.

Will have to check that out before I fire it up again.

Traeger sure seems to quickly replace grills instead of fixing them.
I’m saying this could possibly be a design flaw. I’m not one to if it or not. Just my opinion. The 620 & 885 at Costco had the same issue yesterday when we stopped in. A couple of people over on FB page said the same. Their had the small gap. Which could easily be fixed by tapping 2 screws on both sides. When my replacement shows up tomorrow I’m taking it straight to Costco and exchange it for the 885 grill. Not because of the issue. because I want the bigger 885 grill.

I’m saying this could possibly be a design flaw. I’m not one to if it or not. Just my opinion. The 620 & 885 at Costco had the same issue yesterday when we stopped in. A couple of people over on FB page said the same. Their had the small gap. Which could easily be fixed by tapping 2 screws on both sides. When my replacement shows up tomorrow I’m taking it straight to Costco and exchange it for the 885 grill. Not because of the issue. because I want the bigger 885 grill.
I have the Pro575 and would like a bigger grill. This one was free though so I’m rolling with it for now

I’ve posted this over in the Facebook Rookie forum already.
I purchased the Silverton 620 at Costco almost 2 weeks ago. Got it home and assembled it and seasoned the grill per instructions. Over the weekend I used it 5 times. Monday I cleaned it. While cleaning the grill I noticed one of the four wing screws holding the HotPot was missing. No big deal. The 3 screws was secure. Then I noticed the inside aluminum siding (underneath the HotPot & Drip tray was held on to the front and back by 1 screw in the middle (front and back). So the it wasn’t up flush against the grill frame. I had a 1/8” to 1/4”gap on the right side. I could push it flush against the frame but it would go back to a gap once I let go.
So I called the T CS the next day about the missing screw. She was glad to send me the missing screw. While on the phone I mentioned about the (possible design flaw) on the inside aluminum lining. She put me on video chat with my phone so she could see what I was talking about. After 10 minutes with her she put me on hold and showed tech support. She came back 5 minutes later and said they will send me a new 620. They (and I) think this could be a fire issue later on down the line with grease flowing down the side (inside between the aluminum siding and the actual grill frame). There is no way to get to this to clean it up unless you take apart the HotPot/ignitor & the 2 screws holding the underneath/side lining.

I checked my Silverton 620 today & could not see that design flaw. (See photo).

My 620 was manufactured in March 2021.
Do you know when your 620 was manufactured?

Is it possible Traeger actually fixed that flaw in subsequent manufacture runs?

IMG_4349.JPG

Welcome to the “free” club! My grill was given to me as well.

But “free” has cost me a whole lotta $$ in accessories! Ain’t nothing free! 😄
You should see my Amazon cart

I checked my Silverton 620 today & could not see that design flaw. (See photo).

My 620 was manufactured in March 2021.
Do you know when your 620 was manufactured?

Is it possible Traeger actually fixed that flaw in subsequent manufacture runs?

View attachment 6547
Is this the right side of the grill looking down inside?
Edit: Is that where the auger is located going to the left to the HotPot?

Yes it is
on your photo its the bottom (which is the front of the 620). There should be 1 screw in the middle securing that metal piece to the side. on my right side is where the small gap is. I throw my photo on here.

Yes it is
If you look at my photo on #1 your looking at it the top is your grills right side. My photo on the right is the front of the grill looking down inside. I just took a photo of my grill shooting sideways. The 620 and 810 grills at Costco had the same gaps when I was there a few days ago.

If you look at my photo on #1 your looking at it the top is your grills right side. My photo on the right is the front of the grill looking down inside. I just took a photo of my grill shooting sideways. The 620 and 810 grills at Costco had the same gaps when I was there a few days ago.

So your gap was along the front of the Grill? Inside behind & along the front shelf?

Was there also a gap along the back?

The front & back panels are indeed held by just 1 screw in the middle of each.
Both panels have some movement because of that single screw - but both of my panels did not have an obvious gap. I will recheck just to be sure.

THANKS for the info

So your gap was along the front of the Grill? Inside behind & along the front shelf?

Was there also a gap along the back?

The front & back panels are indeed held by just 1 screw in the middle of each.
Both panels have some movement because of that single screw - but both of my panels did not have an obvious gap. I will recheck just to be sure.

THANKS for the info
Yes front of the grill. Back is okay. With the one screw in the middle I have movement. But the right side has an obvious gap. Not a big gap. Bu t (IMO) over time grease could get inside and run down to the bottom. If you dont pay attention to this you might have a grease build up and eventually a grease fire? I dont know. But you never know. So the T CS lady took the video she did on my grill and took it to service tech and came bck and said yes it could possibly be a safety issue. Said she'd send me a new grill which I got on Tuesday and imediately took back to Costco for the upgrade to the Century 885. I was happy with the 620. But happier with the bigger grill.

Latest Discussions

Back