Costco’s Century 885

Dcgunman

Reaction score
Grill
Century 885
Don’t see a specific thread for Century grills (only Silverton). And I suppose Costco’s Century grills are similar to the Ironwood 885? Besides all the negative post here and on Facebooks Traeger sites on the controller box and temp probe being far off how is the Century 885? With a brand new Silverton 620 on the way from Traeger direct, to replace my 2 week old 620 (see my post on the thread Traeger Problems, Issues, Help) I am going to return the 620 to Costco for the Century 885. I love the 620. Sure there is the meat temp probe issue not being correct, but that can be calibrated. There is a small design flaw with the 620 grills. And also with the Silverton 810’s. Again see my post over in Problems/Issues/Help. At least I think it could potentially be a fire/safety issue in the future. I could easily fix it by 2 screws or a metal angled piece covering the gap. But when I started cooking on the 620 grill I am thinking I need a larger grill. So this Tuesday when my 620 replacement arrives (still in the box), before I inbox it and assemble it I am going to take it back to Costco and exchange it for the larger Century 885. So I’m asking any thoughts on the 885? Whether the Ironwood or Century? Are they both identical?

I have an IronWood 885 and it's definitelly a big beast. I don't have experience with Century. I do like the IW885. It got all the space that I need and have cooked 2 briskets, 2 sitting chickens, 3 ribs, etc at a time with spenty of space for water tray. BTW please notice that left side then to be a bit hotter that the right side. It's mostly noticeable at higher temperatures.

Attachments

• StLouisBackRibs_5_23_2021.jpg
    StLouisBackRibs_5_23_2021.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 45
Hi, new to the forum. 1st post. Has anyone found a thermal blanket that actually fits the Century 885? Looking at a Z Grills that is “36 wide, unsure if it’s long enough. Thoughts?

Ironwoods are back side, down draft exhaust. No stack. They also have an upgraded controller I believe. Imo, the big box store models are downgraded in general to hit certain attractive price points. They may do things like throw on some useless ”gingerbread“, but the central parts of the box store cookers are generally of lesser quality or features. You get what you pay for.

Was just gifted a Century 885. Have not cooked on it yet only seasoned. I'm an old offset purest but starting to get too old and impatient to tend a fire all night. Looking forward to trying something new. I'll let you know how things go.

Was just gifted a Century 885. Have not cooked on it yet only seasoned. I'm an old offset purest but starting to get too old and impatient to tend a fire all night. Looking forward to trying something new. I'll let you know how things go.

Welcome. It's different, but be patient. Convenience factor is huge with pellet grills. I was and old ceramic grill snob, but learned how to cook great meals on a pellet grill and enjoy the convenience and the level of control they have.

Be sure to post any questions here. Loads of experience and folks that like to help.

Thanks. Been cooking on an offset for close to 40 years. First cook yesterday on the Traeger was definitely different but felt like it was successful. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I'll be around.
finallydone02262022.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a first time pellet grill owner, just bought the Century 885 thinking it was an Ironwood and didn't realize until afterward what the differences are (no downdraft, pellet sensor or double sidewalls). Haven't put it together yet but am going to give it a try knowing I can always return it to Costco but am hopeful I'll be happy considering it's still a Traeger. Looks like good results in the picture! Any major +/-'s to the Century?

I recently bought my C885 and have been pleased!!! I do wish I had the Super Smoke mode BUT for the 500-600 price difference I don’t know if it’s worth it. I’ve made a bunch of different meals…. Pork loin at 350, ribs at 225, reverse seared steaks, and whole chickens at 165 then 350. Everything was amazing I’m extremely pleased! I will say the smoke flavor isn’t as strong as my stick burner. And to sear my steaks I used my propane grill that gets to 650 but other than that the flavor and convenience is unmatched! I recently did some minor improvements to mine, I added some lava lock felt liners to the lid 1/8th thick horizontally and 1/16th thick vertically when lid is open. And I added the lava lock silicone gel to The washers for the handle and all around the smoke stack attachment points. This improved seal paired with my A-Maze pellet smoke system makes the camber way more Smokey than the ironwood 855 with the super smoke on. So if you want good smoke on the century you can get it. You just have to put a small amount of work into and enjoy saving $500!

0C9DD831-9544-4BBB-82E0-2BE4460A98DA.jpeg

Back