Corned Beef and Pastrami

RustyJake

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Bought another brisket at $3.99/lb today.
So i started to make pastrami with it because I used up the last of what I made the last time
Will make the corned beef stage first from scratch, and then finish it as pastrami
Trying a dry brined corn beef this time
20220515_143708.jpg20220515_143657.jpg20220515_142734.jpg

The expandable vacuum bags sure make the storage in the fridge for a week easier and cleaner

Last edited:
How much does your weigh? How much pink did you use?

I picked up a brisket on the same sale. Cut 3lbs of the flat off to make MSM. Started the dry brine this morning. 2.7lbs flat/3.78g of pink. (1.4g/lb)

How much does your weigh? How much pink did you use?
My packer was 18lbs, trimmed about 3 lbs of fat off. I used 21 gms of pink salt. The recipe was 7.5 gms for 5 lbs of meat, I basically made a triple batch of the rub recipe in the link in my post.
Last time I did it, I did a wet brine.

I picked up a brisket on the same sale. Cut 3lbs of the flat off to make MSM. Started the dry brine this morning. 2.7lbs flat/3.78g of pink. (1.4g/lb)
It was a toss up between MSM and Pastrami. But figured I best replace the Pastrami I just finished.
MSM will be next, before the end of summer.
Looking forward to see how yours turns out. I need to convince myself it is okay to do smaller portions. I just like to make it and have it in the freezer. Doing a 5 LB piece would definitely be a lot easier

My packer was 18lbs, trimmed about 3 lbs of fat off. I used 21 gms of pink salt. The recipe was 7.5 gms for 5 lbs of meat, I basically made a triple batch of the rub recipe in the link in my post.
Last time I did it, I did a wet brine.
So, do you also know how many days in the frig??? cuz that does vary with thickness, kinda

So, do you also know how many days in the frig??? cuz that does vary with thickness, kinda
This recipe calls for 7 days. Most of the brining is usually 7-10 days. The key is flipping it at least once a day. I haven't adjusted the time based on thickness in the past. I found that if I am diligent about flipping it was fully brined right through (my previous MSM cooks were all dry brined for 10 days). I don't know if I will go 7 or 10 days on this one. This isn't any thicker than a pork or beef roast. Square inches of surface area is larger, but in reality this one is may 4" at it's thickest part.
The key after the brine is to follow the soak and rinsing properly, or it'll be too salty.
There are some rule of thumbs for brining times

Last edited:
Yeah, I've read those... I was just wondering if you were shooting for that 10 day time... but you're right, it's about thickness and calculating as a flat instead of a round

I’m probably buying a used “Dexter” or slicer tomorrow in preparation of my Montreal smoked meat. Hopefully my Kijiji deal goes through.
Interested to hear what you get and how it works.the new models at Cabela's have the blades on more of an angle. That may help a bit.

My parents had that one for years and LOVED it. Cuts well and cleans very easily. For their occasional use it performed well.
I made the mistake of borrowing from my mom......yeah, I broke it. ☹️ if it's in good shape you shouldn't be disappointed with it
Awesome, thanks for the info.

Latest Discussions

Back