Cooking times for pork shoulder?

merylnet

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Hi everyone. I'm a Traeger newbie. I got a Pro575 about 2 months ago. Happy, but everything seems to take a lot longer than any recipe says it will (whether a traeger recipe or from a BBQ website).
For instance: I have tried 4 pork shoulders, bone in, at different times. I set the temp for 225 and I shoot for meat internal temp of 195 - 205. Whether I do a 7 lb shoulder or a 10 lb shoulder, it takes 26 - 28 hours to get to 195. Is that normal? All the guidance I've found says 2 hours per lb. Mine takes a lot longer than that, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I don't like to crutch it.
Another example - last night, I grilled thick short rib burgers. Started with room temperature patties. Traeger site says 4 minutes per side at 500. It took 8 minutes per side to get to 145 degrees in the center of the patties.
What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any advice!

Have you checked the internal temp of your grill, with an independent thermometer? The controller readout can quite often by off.

Yes, I stuck the meat probe in there, propped up on some tin foil. The probe read is close to what the digital display says (within 2 or 3 degrees).

I like to cook my pork shoulders at 250. I just did a 12lb this morning. Put it on at 4:30A, wrapped at 160 and cooked until IT of 204. I just pulled it at 12:30P.

I like to cook my pork shoulders at 250. I just did a 12lb this morning. Put it on at 4:30A, wrapped at 160 and cooked until IT of 204. I just pulled it at 12:30P.
Thanks. How long would it take if you didn't wrap it? Doesn't the foil mess with the bark?

Thanks. How long would it take if you didn't wrap it? Doesn't the foil mess with the bark?
Not sure because I have never not wrapped. I want to try just have been scared. I know you should definitely spritz if not going to wrap. In your original post you mention it takes over 20 hours? That just seems way far off for a standard size pork shoulder.

I have never had any issues with the bark. Could always wrap in butcher paper so it helps release the steam.
One thing I have learned is everybody does it differently and you just have to figure out what’s best for you!! Hope this info helps you!

Hi everyone. I'm a Traeger newbie. I got a Pro575 about 2 months ago. Happy, but everything seems to take a lot longer than any recipe says it will (whether a traeger recipe or from a BBQ website).
For instance: I have tried 4 pork shoulders, bone in, at different times. I set the temp for 225 and I shoot for meat internal temp of 195 - 205. Whether I do a 7 lb shoulder or a 10 lb shoulder, it takes 26 - 28 hours to get to 195. Is that normal? All the guidance I've found says 2 hours per lb. Mine takes a lot longer than that, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I don't like to crutch it.
Another example - last night, I grilled thick short rib burgers. Started with room temperature patties. Traeger site says 4 minutes per side at 500. It took 8 minutes per side to get to 145 degrees in the center of the patties.
What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any advice!
I cook mine around 220ish, but only do either an 8lb no bone butt or 5lb bone in. The 5s can take me about 10hrs, while the 8 runs anywhere from 12-15. I hardly ever wrap it because I like the bark. However, if time crunched I wrap around 160ish crank the smoker to 275 and finish it off that way. If you do that method no reason you shouldn’t be done in 8 hrs or so.

(note: I’ve fool (foil haha) wrapped and cranked to 325f before because improper planning on my part and the meat was still amazing. Just not a nice bark...image attached after shredding with this foolish timing mistake)

Attachments

• FED5760E-783D-499D-9AF1-8AD4F6D99904.jpeg
    FED5760E-783D-499D-9AF1-8AD4F6D99904.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 47
I have just finished cooking a Boston Butt (Shoulder), it was 11 lb. with bone. I wiped mustard all over the butt and covered with my best rub. I injected a mixture of 1 cup apple juice, 1 cup water and 1/2 cup brown sugar.
In the Traeger at 250F for 3 hours untouched. I then spayed the butt with apple juice every hour until an internal of 200F. I then mopped on a Tonkatsu sauce and turned up the temp to 300F to get the glaze set. When internal was 203F it was out and wrapped in foil and a towel and put into a pre heated cooler for an hour. Worked out great.

Attachments

• IMG_1092.jpeg
    IMG_1092.jpeg
    321.5 KB · Views: 42
We recently did 14.8 lbs of Pork Shoulder (2 pieces) ... dry rubbed ... started at 170 degrees for 2 hours ... then 230 degrees for the remainder ... lid closed throughout except for final 90m when probes were moved around to check IT ... 17.5 Hours total cooking time ... +90m for rest ...

Yes, I stuck the meat probe in there, propped up on some tin foil. The probe read is close to what the digital display says (within 2 or 3 degrees).
On my Pro575, I've learned that I need to set all of the temp's higher than than the recipes call for. If not I'm doing career cooks for everything I put in there. I thought, like you, that something was wrong or I was totally screwing things up, but it was just a matter of setting the cook temps higher. Then most everything seemed to fit the times I was expecting. I adjusted most temps by about 25-30 degrees depending on the length of the cook. Might give that a try.

Back