Cooking 8 "ribs" in Traeger rack

Switz

Reaction score
Grill
Century 885 w/ front shelf & pellet level
Given the range of temperatures over the length (let to right) of the Traeger Grill mentioned by many users, I wonder if anyone turns the full rack of ribs 180 degrees every so often so the two end racks are cooked about the same?

Given the range of temperatures over the length (let to right) of the Traeger Grill mentioned by many users, I wonder if anyone turns the full rack of ribs 180 degrees every so often so the two end racks are cooked about the same?
I don’t, but I don’t like to use “rib racks” either.

I've used my rib rack twice. Each time when I wrapped, I turned the rack so all the ribs were opposite of when I started. They came out great both times.

Got my first ever package of St Louis ribs at CostCo yesterday. Found out there are three pieces. So I had planed with two to put them in the middle long ways left to right with an air temp probe between the two rows of ribs and dead center.

Putting three rows side by side in the middle would be too wide. So I guess two on the right (cooler end) and one to the left (hotter end) and rotate positions every hour for the three hour cook? If I leave a meat probe out and just use a spot check with a Thermapen, I could put a probe at each end and one in the middle. I have one with the bracket attached so the tip is almost touching the Traeger air temp probe.

Any suggestions appreciated.

If it were me, I’d just put a probe in the middle. I don’t usually rotate them though. I just wrap them as they get ready. Usually around 3 hours at 225, or 2 1/2 hours at 250.

In the photo below, the left side is the hottest in my Century 885. I finally decided to cut the left rack in half so they can line up in two rows.

Temp probe I mounted on the right wall beside the Traeger ambient probe is now showing 170 degrees while the Traeger is reporting 188 degrees. The right on the grill probe is showing 173, the middle is showing 175 and the right is showing 194. The two long pieces are at about 120 and the now two small pieces are round 140.

The way I read the "plan"for the meat was to cook three hours and since the desired temp setting was 185, I presumed the meat would be close to that temp. Way short. At the 3 hour mark, the meat comes off into foil with BBQ sauce and honey with grill getting to 225 degrees for a 2 hour window. Meat then comes out of foil with more BBQ sauce and put back to caramelize the sauce.

I have swapped ends on the long slices and recently put short pieces on the right of the longer pieces.

At this rate of meat temp rise, we got lots more hours to go in step one.

There is a 15 mph breeze blowing and it is 79 degrees outside.

Any suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_4417.JPG
    IMG_4417.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 26
I wrap ribs, according to the way they look, not some set amount of time. I don’t think there is any way those ribs will be ready to wrap in three hours, when cooked at 185. I usually cook my ribs at 225 straight through, and that will usually take around 6 hours to get them done the way I like them.

Back