Considering purchasing ironwood 650 or 885

Jd76

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I'm considering buying the ironwood 650 or 885. I hear good and bad reviews from easy to use/best meals ever to difficulty achieving certain temps and the LCD not functioning properly, frustrating, etc. Curious of feedback on whether your traeger purchase was worth it. Thanks in advance.

I bought the Timberline 850 which is the upgraded version of the Ironwood 650.
I preferred the stainless steel grates and the extra insulation.

As for the Ironwood 650 vs 885...
Do you need all that room?
The 885 will go through more pellets to preheat and maintain temp. How much I can’t tell you. I just cooked a pork shoulder for pulled pork and 18 burgers and still had room left over.

I’ve only had mine a short while and absolutely love it!

I'm considering buying the ironwood 650 or 885. I hear good and bad reviews from easy to use/best meals ever to difficulty achieving certain temps and the LCD not functioning properly, frustrating, etc. Curious of feedback on whether your traeger purchase was worth it. Thanks in advance.

I was originally going to get the 650 but realized I could fit the 885 so went with the 885. No issues and it has cooked some of the best BBQ ive ever made. The 885 to me is very efficient. A load of pellets lasts a long long time. Did a brisket for 14 hours and still had some left over. Personally I think if you have the room get the 885. You'll want to extra room trust me, and for $200 more it's a no-brainer.

Does Jonny Apple Seed hill still exist in Fort Wayne?

Seed

I'm a happy Ironwood 885 owner, still on my honeymoon. :)

This is my 4th Traeger. No stack, larger capacity, taller interior, and the way the smoke circulates convinced me. Happy Camper, yes I am.

I bought the Timberline 850 which is the upgraded version of the Ironwood 650.
I preferred the stainless steel grates and the extra insulation.

As for the Ironwood 650 vs 885...
Do you need all that room?
The 885 will go through more pellets to preheat and maintain temp. How much I can’t tell you. I just cooked a pork shoulder for pulled pork and 18 burgers and still had room left over.

I’ve only had mine a short while and absolutely love it!
Thank you for the feedback.

I was originally going to get the 650 but realized I could fit the 885 so went with the 885. No issues and it has cooked some of the best BBQ ive ever made. The 885 to me is very efficient. A load of pellets lasts a long long time. Did a brisket for 14 hours and still had some left over. Personally I think if you have the room get the 885. You'll want to extra room trust me, and for $200 more it's a no-brainer.

Does Jonny Apple Seed hill still exist in Fort Wayne?

Seed
Thanks for the feedback. Yes Johnny appleseed is still there.

I was in the same boat as you. I went with the 885 and don't regret it one bit.

Just got the Ironwood 650 and I absolutely love it so far compared to the Pro series 575. Yesterday threw a pork shoulder on the grill before going out on Lake Erie to get some limits of walleye, timing all worked out perfectly! Checked on the temperature from the lake, got back with our limits and wrapped the pork up in some foil and started to clean the fish. By the time we got the boat cleaned up and the fish cleaned up it was time to eat some delicious pulled pork. Only regret I had was I didn't take a picture before everyone started eating it, heard a lot of "this is the best pulled pork I've ever had" from the family and friends I had over.

Have had an 885 for about 2 months. LOVE THIS THING. That sums it up. Seems the temp issues have all resolved with the new updates. It’s efficient too. Smoked a butt last weekend for 12 hours, and have grilled on it 4 times since all from the same hopper fill (a 20lb bag). The BBQ was perfect.

Last smoke I ran around town getting my boat ready for the lake, had lunch with my son, and washed my truck - all while watching the cook on my app. That’s the main reason I bought it.

Regarding space, keep in mind they get 885 by adding in the upper rack too. It’s not as big as you’d think. I recommend checking one out in person before you buy. The 885 is big don’t get me wrong, but if I need to run ribs for a family cookout I’m ready, and it’s not too big that it eats fuel or takes up too much space.

Best grill I’ve ever owned.

I have an ironwood 650. Was upgraded from pro 575 and I love it. Works great. Temps are spot on. It’s only me and the wife and there is plenty of room for us.

I have the Ironwood 650 and it's performed well so far. If you take the plunge, I'd get some "Grillgrates" aftermarket grill grates to use as a bottom rack. Great for searing and getting grill marks.

Back