Considering Ironwood 650 Purchase

Lsuee

Reaction score
I started my search with thinking I would purchase the 575 Pro, but am now settled on the Ironwood 650. I've read a lot about issues with previous versions of the drive and firmware causing issues. I figured I'd buy the 650 from Traeger under the assumption that I would get the latest version of all elements, but they are currently sold out. Is there a way that I can ensure I get the latest-and-greatest version from local stores without having them build and power the grill up to check?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Inventory turns can/will vary by dealer and location ... back in June, it appeared as though a subset of new owners were getting grills delivered to them from local dealers that were manufactured 6-11 months prior and had "vintage" firmware installed ... this issue has not been reported much lately, so hopefully what is currently available to purchase is running Firmware 02.00.01 at a minimum, as that is the most stable version of Firmware prior to the August 2020 release (02.01.03) ... getting the Firmware updated from 02.00.01 -> 02.01.03 should go smoothly, and may occur during your initial setup/pairing of WiFIRE ...

The Config Version update (second part of the update process) is the piece that can take anywhere from 12+ Hours to upwards of 2 weeks - patience is your only option (you need to leave the grill powered on continuously until the Config Version updates to 06.009) ...

Some folks have reported receiving Ironwood 650s with 02.00.01 | 06.009 pre-installed, but they can come with 02.00.01 | 06.008 (supports 500 degrees), or 02.00.00 | 06.007 (does not support 500 degrees until the Config Version is 06.008 or later) ... it is very doubtful at this point in time that you would receive a unit with 02.00.00 | 06.007, unless it was manufactured in Q4CY19 - you can verify the MFG Date via the attached photo example ...

Let us know what versions you have pre-installed after you unbox and do your initial power-up ...

EDIT: Adding two Traeger webpage references for you to bookmark:
Traeger WiFIRE® Status
WiFIRE Connection Problems: Start Here

Attachments

• Traeger | Determine MFG Date.png
    Traeger | Determine MFG Date.png
    1 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Inventory turns can/will vary by dealer and location ... back in June, it appeared as though a subset of new owners were getting grills delivered to them from local dealers that were manufactured 6-11 months prior and had "vintage" firmware installed ... this issue has not been reported much lately, so hopefully what is currently available to purchase is running Firmware 02.00.01 at a minimum, as that is the most stable version of Firmware prior to the August 2020 release (02.01.03) ... getting the Firmware updated from 02.00.01 -> 02.01.03 should go smoothly, and may occur during your initial setup/pairing of WiFIRE ...

The Config Version update (second part of the update process) is the piece that can take anywhere from 12+ Hours to upwards of 2 weeks - patience is your only option (you need to leave the grill powered on continuously until the Config Version updates to 06.009) ...

Some folks have reported receiving Ironwood 650s with 02.00.01 | 06.009 pre-installed, but they can come with 02.00.01 | 06.008 (supports 500 degrees), or 02.00.00 | 06.007 (does not support 500 degrees until the Config Version is 06.008 or later) ... it is very doubtful at this point in time that you would receive a unit with 02.00.00 | 06.007, unless it was manufactured in Q4CY19 - you can verify the MFG Date via the attached photo example ...

Let us know what versions you have pre-installed after you unbox and do your initial power-up ...

EDIT: Adding two Traeger webpage references for you to bookmark:
Traeger WiFIRE® Status
WiFIRE Connection Problems: Start Here

Wow, fantastic reply. Thanks! One follow-up question...

It sounds like it doesn't really matter which version I get as it can be updated to the latest firmware and config as long as I have patience and leave it plugged in. Is this correct?

It sounds like it doesn't really matter which version I get as it can be updated to the latest firmware and config as long as I have patience and leave it plugged in. Is this correct?

Yes - correct ... version 02.00.00 of the Firmware can be troublesome to get connected (it has a BUG that impacted a subset of users that was corrected with 02.00.01), so that is the only caveat relative to any "ease" of upgrading concerns ... the BUG did not impact everyone in terms of being a blocker, but for those that were negatively impacted, it almost always required a replacement controller be sent out by Traeger to resolve ... given the number of grills Traeger has sold the past few months, unless a dealer has been following LIFO vs FIFO inventory methods, the grills manufactured in 2019 should all be sold by now :) ...

Yes, no mater what you receive, it can be brought up to current version. Even if you somehow got a really old one, Traeger would send you a new controller with updateable firmware.

Back