Considering Adding Gasket to IW650 Lid

Flatlander

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
Hi all. For those who have added a gasket to the lid, did you add to all 4 sides or just the sides and top? After adding the gasket, did you need to adjust the lid hinges? I've got a package of Lava Rock. Thanks for any tips, pics or advice.

Last edited:
All four sides on my 885, and no adjustment needed. Wish I had added the gasket months ago. You won't regret it.

Thanks everyone. I'm smoking a pork butt today so will add the gasket tommorow if it warms up a bit. I'm in Florida and it's in the 40s today and tomorrow so not sure if that might be too cold to apply the gasket. The Lava Rock packaging doesn't state recommended application temps. ? Cheers

Thanks everyone. I'm smoking a pork butt today so will add the gasket tommorow if it warms up a bit. I'm in Florida and it's in the 40s today and tomorrow so not sure if that might be too cold to apply the gasket. The Lava Rock packaging doesn't state recommended application temps. ? Cheers

I think it would be in your best interest to pull the lid off to apply the gasket. It'll be easier to get the lid cleaned and get the gasket stuck on straight and cut to the right length. But 40 degrees is plenty warm to do it outside. It was single digit temps when I did mine, which was another reason I brought the lid inside to apply.

I think it would be in your best interest to pull the lid off to apply the gasket. It'll be easier to get the lid cleaned and get the gasket stuck on straight and cut to the right length. But 40 degrees is plenty warm to do it outside. It was single digit temps when I did mine, which was another reason I brought the lid inside to apply.
That's a great idea. I hadn't even considered taking the lid off. Thanks

Gasket on. Can't wait to try out the grill. Guess I'd better wait until tomorrow. Thanks all!

Why gasket and lava rocks? I'm new to the Traeger world.

Why gasket and lava rocks? I'm new to the Traeger world.
Hi there. The gasket I chose to use is made by Lava Rock. ? It's similar to the felt gasket used on ceramic cookers like the Big Green Egg. I have an Ironwood which the lid isn't as tight fitting as my Pro 575 so I opted to add a gasket around the lid to help lessen the chance of excess escaping heat or smoke around the lid. Super easy fix. (See pic). Let me know if you have any other questions.

Attachments

• IMG_20200121_173911_1.jpg
    IMG_20200121_173911_1.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 107
Thank you! I Just got the 575 a few months ago and have used it a few times. I use my welders blanket from my stick burner so I don't notice any escaping smoke. Let me ask one more question, I have not been happy with a lack of smoke taste and after 1/2 hour phone call to customer service I was told to smoke at 160 degrees, and that is the temp to get the most smoke. I saw a you tube video and someone was using a paper clip to push a button to change the smoke level, but mine does not have that option. Any better advise? Thanks again!

Thank you! I Just got the 575 a few months ago and have used it a few times. I use my welders blanket from my stick burner so I don't notice any escaping smoke. Let me ask one more question, I have not been happy with a lack of smoke taste and after 1/2 hour phone call to customer service I was told to smoke at 160 degrees, and that is the temp to get the most smoke. I saw a you tube video and someone was using a paper clip to push a button to change the smoke level, but mine does not have that option. Any better advise? Thanks again!
Get a smoke tube. Having come from a Green Egg, I missed the amount of wood smoke I could taste by using varying amounts of wood chunks. With a Traeger, "smoking" occurs from 165°-225°. Anything higher still creates smoke but you're getting into more roasting/grilling than smoking. The smoke tube is just a metal perforated cannister that's open on one end in which you load with additional pellets and using a torch light the open end and then after a few minutes you blow it out and place the smoke tube horizontally on your grate to create additional smoke. Check Amazon for smoke tube and you'll see the various types that are available. Any will do. You'll definitely create a lot of smoke for around four possibly five hours depending on the length of your smoke tube. Cheers

Get a smoke tube. Having come from a Green Egg, I missed the amount of wood smoke I could taste by using varying amounts of wood chunks. With a Traeger, "smoking" occurs from 165°-225°. Anything higher still creates smoke but you're getting into more roasting/grilling than smoking. The smoke tube is just a metal perforated cannister that's open on one end in which you load with additional pellets and using a torch light the open end and then after a few minutes you blow it out and place the smoke tube horizontally on your grate to create additional smoke. Check Amazon for smoke tube and you'll see the various types that are available. Any will do. You'll definitely create a lot of smoke for around four possibly five hours depending on the length of your smoke tube. Cheers
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help!

Hi gang. Just testing out how the gasket worked. I added it on all four sides of the lid and at start up it seems to have a bit more smoke coming out of the bottom than it did before adding the gasket. The top and sides are perfect but anything below 200° seems to have a bit more smoke coming out of the bottom. The gasket is straight and fits under the original gasket that is still in place. Are others seeing similar issues upon firing up the grill that have added the gasket on all four sides? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200121_173911.jpg
    IMG_20200121_173911.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 28
Back