Confused on how to do a steak

Ron M

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I bought a Timberline 850 in Jan 2018. Since then I have wasted a lot of money trying to do steaks on this machine -Finally gave up -- tired of dry, tasteless cardboard end products, so I have used use a gas grill the last three years. There are dozens of Traeger recipes, on line, all different I have all the books from Traeger with even more recipes. . I tried some of those recipes and was extremely disappointed. Yesterday I talked to a rep selling Traeger at Costco and he said 500 degrees and use the temp probe. Don't need to flip. I tried that before to no success. Looks like aged white meat on the outside when all said and done. The only thing I have done successfully is make jerky, but anything else will be ruined. I tried reverse searing on a gas grill in combination with the Traeger. Talk about a convoluted process. Why bother with the Traeger if I am going to incorporate a gas grill or a kitchen oven. Just plain frustrated.

I have never cooked a steak start to finish on my Pro 780. I personally don’t think Traeger is the right tool for it.

I’ve done the reverse sear several times and have had good results. I’ve used gas, black stone and charcoal for the high heat and don’t mind the two step process.

But I mostly just use charcoal for steaks, black stone for smash burgers, and leave the Traeger for low and slow cooks.

I heat mine to 450 and place them right in the center. I flip every 5 min to get some grill marks and when they feel “firmed up” I will probe to meet 135-140 and take off. Always juicy and med rare. If I want the outside seared a little more I crank the BBQ up to 500 or more and take off smoker @ 130 and put on BBQ for a couple minutes each side.

I have not tried the reverse sear (BBQ and then smoker) yet, as I like the smoke that gets in. Will have to on some cheaper steaks one day!!!

Worth a try maybe?

Last edited:
I heat mine to 450 and place them right in the center. I flip every 5 min to get some grill marks and when they feel “firmed up” I will probe to meet 135-140 and take off. Always juicy and med rare. If I want the outside seared a little more I crank the BBQ up to 500 or more and take off smoker @ 130 and put on BBQ for a couple minutes each side.

I have not tried the reverse sear (BBQ and then smoker) yet, as I like the smoke that gets in. Will have to on some cheaper steaks one day!!!

Worth a try maybe?
Reverse searing would be cooking it lower in something the pellet grill or even an oven before cranking up the heat to >500 and searing it

My approach is to purposely salt the steak and put uncovered on a rack in the refrigerator for one or two (max) days. I Traeger the steak at 180* to 125* IT, then into a cast iron skillet I’ve been heating in the oven to 500*F for about 30 minutes and transferred to the stove top over a large burner on High heat. Sear the steak for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes per side for the sear.
Note: a cast iron skillet after being heated to 500* for thirty minutes can wreak havoc on a non-heat-protected hand…I was told by my friend, Lefty.

Attachments

• 6307979E-3D33-44B7-B088-07E8B2695635.jpeg
    6307979E-3D33-44B7-B088-07E8B2695635.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
So I only do steaks on my Traeger. Must be 1.5-2” and reverse sear…. I mean, why wouldn’t you do a thick steak?!?!?

Smoke at 180-225° super smoke until internal is 115deg. Then pull the steak off and set to the side. Crank the Traeger up to 500deg. Once it’s at temp put that caveman steak on and flip every 90-120sec until the internal temp is 127-130deg. Take off and tent with foil. Sometimes I use butter too but not necessary. They come out perfect every single time

Attachments

• 80D88D53-A22E-4447-A269-2C4D09748FC3.jpeg
    80D88D53-A22E-4447-A269-2C4D09748FC3.jpeg
    226.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 183C4A69-DB60-4B14-A15E-E0A1A1828FB8.jpeg
    183C4A69-DB60-4B14-A15E-E0A1A1828FB8.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 2F4A9363-C5A6-4510-BD5C-540593EB245B.jpeg
    2F4A9363-C5A6-4510-BD5C-540593EB245B.jpeg
    256.8 KB · Views: 84
  • D347A0BF-BE8C-4855-9AC0-AC4A8501680A.jpeg
    D347A0BF-BE8C-4855-9AC0-AC4A8501680A.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 82
  • C771D2D5-DDC8-4A66-9259-DED8220905E7.jpeg
    C771D2D5-DDC8-4A66-9259-DED8220905E7.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 78
Hey Ron,
I'm with you bro, I struggled too, but now am having success.

I do the traeger and then the reverse sear with cast iron skillet, for a nice result.

Typically do a 2" thick rib eye, slow cooked on the Traeger @ 225F along with 2 smoke tubes, takes about 45 minutes.
When the middle hits 225F (using a Therma Pen, not traeger probe which is worthless), take off and do both sides for a minute in red hot cast iron skillet. Works every time.

Grillgrates is a great solution for grilling. With Grillgrates on I turn my 575 to 450-500 and put in a probe to monitor inside temp. And yes, I do flip.

My approach is to purposely salt the steak and put uncovered on a rack in the refrigerator for one or two (max) days. I Traeger the steak at 180* to 125* IT, then into a cast iron skillet I’ve been heating in the oven to 500*F for about 30 minutes and transferred to the stove top over a large burner on High heat. Sear the steak for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes per side for the sear.
This is my approach also, except I use my gas grill for the sear. Question for salting in advance (also known as dry brining)...do you also add salt to the meat during the cooking process, either using salt directly or in a rub?

This is my approach also, except I use my gas grill for the sear. Question for salting in advance (also known as dry brining)...do you also add salt to the meat during the cooking process, either using salt directly or in a rub?
I don’t usually salt beyond the dry brining, but during the quick sear, I often baste with butter, garlic, and rosemary or thyme.

I'm not sure what made you think a smoker, which is a slow cooker, was the right tool for steaks in the first place. There is a reason steak houses flame-broil their steaks.

I'm not sure what made you think a smoker, which is a slow cooker, was the right tool for steaks in the first place. There is a reason steak houses flame-broil their steaks.
Lots of people really enjoy the reverse sear method. Low heat to smoke it first, then high heat to sear it. It's not my cup of tea, but it is for lots of others.

I cook everything on my treager. Let me say, Treager really should have or incorporate the Grillgrates into half the unit. This is a much for cooking any meats. I preheat to 350. Take my steaks out about a hour or so before grilling. While I’m pre heating I make my mixture of smoke chips and Treager pellets into my smoking tube, light that sucker for a minute, blow out and stick into my pre heated Treager. Lots of smoke and the Grillgrates are hot. Please the ribeyes on the Grillgrates and turn every 6-7 minutes until they got to 145 or touch ready (you either know what a med rate steak feels like or you don’t) I also don’t use the probe(s). I have a quick temp thermometer. When I flip the steaks, I place them on the Grillgrate where I haven’t had anything, get a great sizzle. And just keep doing that until they are ready to take off and put foil over them on a non paper plate for at least 10 minutes. Then serve. Best steaks ever. Oh I forgot, while they are sitting out a hour beforehand I salt and pepper them generously. Sometimes I throw some Treager seasoning on them as well. Now I took this time to write all of this out, you owe it to yourself and family? To try this. Bite the bullet and buy the Grillgrates made for your Treager. A instant read thermometer and a smoke tube. Also I don’t think I wrote it, I put a layer of smoking chips, a few pellets and then repeat until full. I have two smoking tubes I got from Amazon a 6” and 12” for long smokes. The extra smoke is key for burgers, steaks and chicken. Good luck! 👍🏼

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back