Companion Gasser

I’m a minimalist though, I now I only need pellets for my smoker. One machine does all my cooks with one fuel source. Watch this video about the bbq hack to see it in action. I’ll set my traeger to 350 and I do close the lid once I put my food on.
D185E158-745D-4D84-B5C1-96062B7E71F4.jpeg

French toast with my griddle hack!

As you can see from forum signature, I have a Timberline 1300. Keeping it simple, I am considering replacing an old crappy Lowe's brand gasser with something new to help out with searing, or even just the times where I don't want to crank up the T-1300 to 475 and burn through a week's worth of pellets :)

I don't need/want anything huge, so was looking at this and am curious to see if anyone had any experience with it, or other suggestions :unsure:

I was also considering a Blackstone type of grill/griddle combo, but I already have a natural gas connection, so I'd prefer to stay with that for the companion grill.

And certainly not looking to break the proverbial bank on the companion grill either ;)

I just use Grill gates, doesn't take long to get to 400f+ and and you said saves a heap of pellets. So if your old gasser is not an eye sore then keep it and get some Grill Gates.

I'm putting the big ol' Brinkman on Craigslist next week as the new sear station from Costco should arrive on Tuesday. This puppy is only 21 inches wide for cooking with the shelves folded down. That's all I need for searing. $249 if you can find it at Costco near you.

1632020737181.png

FYI - it is very easy to convert a propane grill to natural gas. Natural gas is lower pressure than propane so needs a larger orifice to produce the same heat. I drilled mine out using a size 45 drill bit to work on natural gas.

Need a new orifice to convert from natural gas to propane.

Obviously, not something everyone will be comfortable doing.

Yep, propane to nat gas requires different "jetting" and the drill trick works great. Or you can buy new jets for some grills.
Been using a griddle insert on the Weber Genesis for several years and really like it. Changes from grill to griddle in about 30 seconds. Full sear on griddle or change to grates for grill marks sear (reverse sear)
https://griddlemaster.com
I use my 1300 for everything under 225...

FYI - it is very easy to convert a propane grill to natural gas. Natural gas is lower pressure than propane so needs a larger orifice to produce the same heat. I drilled mine out using a size 45 drill bit to work on natural gas.

Just be aware that on some grills there are more differences than just the size of the orifice.

For example, the NG valves are different on my E330 than the LP valves.

Just bought this Blackstone yesterday. Wanted the larger griddle and air fryer. Going though the seasoning process now.

Attachments

• 64E813AC-CB35-4B5C-B162-CE8F1E8EB10E.jpeg
    64E813AC-CB35-4B5C-B162-CE8F1E8EB10E.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 16
Just bought this Blackstone yesterday. Wanted the larger griddle and air fryer. Going though the seasoning process now.
Saw that on the Walmart site....I like the air fryers, but the only thing (for me at least) is that Blackstone's natural gas conversion kit doesn't work on that model - maybe because of the air fryer placement.

This is what I am leaning towards...

So many choices! I am sort of mulling this as well.

Currently I am using that lodge cast iron griddle on my gas grill. It is fine most of the time and the only time I wish I had something larger is when I am making fajitas for a crowd. For those occasions I have considered getting gas grill version of the BBQ hack above:

The only thing holding me back is that these things go for around $150. But I remember last year during Black Friday sales standalone 28 inch Blackstones were going for $175. That seems like better value for your money, unless you are a minimalist like Jbolden2!

Maybe get a second griddle? They are only $30 ( usually )

Oh, and I'm not a minimalist :D

Nice!

As you can see from forum signature, I have a Timberline 1300. Keeping it simple, I am considering replacing an old crappy Lowe's brand gasser with something new to help out with searing, or even just the times where I don't want to crank up the T-1300 to 475 and burn through a week's worth of pellets :)

I don't need/want anything huge, so was looking at this and am curious to see if anyone had any experience with it, or other suggestions :unsure:

I was also considering a Blackstone type of grill/griddle combo, but I already have a natural gas connection, so I'd prefer to stay with that for the companion grill.

And certainly not looking to break the proverbial bank on the companion grill either ;)

Looking to try this soon

You made a connection with the natural gas Spirit II E-310 (not 210). The 310 I have is the propane version. It's a flexible grill that can handle a wide range of foods and is quite dependable. However, at over $500, it may be overkill if used only for searing.

Blackstone griddles are also extremely flexible and much less expensive, and they sell a natural gas conversion kit. For approximately half the price of the Weber Spirit, you can purchase a 28-inch griddle like Timmy's.

There is a third option if it is solely for searing. Butane torches are both inexpensive and effective when it comes to searing.

Last edited:

Years ago I got a used flat top griddle from a restaurant. It was natural gas and I needed to convert it to propane. I can't remember what size drill bit was needed but all I did was braze the natural gas orifice shut then drill it out to the correct size. Worked like a champ ever since.

I have an old Weber Spirit that my daughter gave me that replaced a cheap Charbroil I got from Lowes. The fire box on the Charbroil rusted through (Wasn't much thicker than a beer can). I use my Traeger to smoke meat but I find the gas grill works great for smoking chicken thighs with a smoke tube so I use it for that too. I mainly use it for steaks and hamburgers. It's a way better grill than my old one and built with better materials. I don't think you can go wrong with it, although they are proud of their replacement parts. I tried making the steak on the Traeger but I refuse to turn it up high enough to sear a steak, so I used the Weber to sear it. I wasn't that impressed with the two step method so went back to just grilling the steak on the Weber. I just feel I have more control over the cook and it's way faster. I suggest you get the ceramic grill grates, much easier to clean. Just turn it up high and wire brush it.

Latest Discussions

Back