Companion Gasser

TheGrumpyGriller

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 1300
As you can see from forum signature, I have a Timberline 1300. Keeping it simple, I am considering replacing an old crappy Lowe's brand gasser with something new to help out with searing, or even just the times where I don't want to crank up the T-1300 to 475 and burn through a week's worth of pellets :)

I don't need/want anything huge, so was looking at this and am curious to see if anyone had any experience with it, or other suggestions :unsure:

I was also considering a Blackstone type of grill/griddle combo, but I already have a natural gas connection, so I'd prefer to stay with that for the companion grill.

And certainly not looking to break the proverbial bank on the companion grill either ;)

Last edited:
Not a lot of space but for a few steaks, burgers, etc it looks like a good choice. I thought of adding a Blackstone but for now I just use a cast iron griddle on my Weber gasser and it works wonderful.

You linked to the natural gas Spirit II E-310 (not 210). I have the propane version of the 310. It is a versatile grill for a variety of dishes and very reliable. But at over $500 it may be an overkill if it is just for searing.

The Blackstone griddles are also quite versatile and a lot cheaper and Blackstone sells a natural gas conversion kit. You can get a 28 inch griddle, like what Timmy has, for about half the price of the Weber Spirit.

If it is only for searing, there is a third option. Butane torches are very cheap and very effective for searing.

You linked to the natural gas Spirit II E-310 (not 210). I have the propane version of the 310. It is a versatile grill for a variety of dishes and very reliable. But at over $500 it may be an overkill if it is just for searing.

The Blackstone griddles are also quite versatile and a lot cheaper and Blackstone sells a natural gas conversion kit. You can get a 28 inch griddle, like what Timmy has, for about half the price of the Weber Spirit.

If it is only for searing, there is a third option. Butane torches are very cheap and very effective for searing.
Hadn't thought about the torch option...have those for the smoke tubes. The Blackstone option so far seems to be a reasonable solution, but then I'd have to decide on a griddle only or the combo griddle/grill :)

I have a Traeger accompanied by a small Blackstone and love that combo. I threw out my gasser and haven't touch my charcoal cooker since adding the Traeger and Blackstone to the family.

this spring I picked up a used Genesis E 330 and I use it for all sorts of quick and fast and hot cooks.

It rarely cooks meat unless I'm reverse searing, and I have a lodge cast iron griddle that fits nicely in half of the area.

It has three burners plus a sear burner and I can get it up over 600F for making pizza.

I can find these in the $250 range in good condition out here. in New York the rust on the frame may be an issue.

good luck.

reverse searing tri tip after smoking it. I cut it in half on the seam so I can pull off the thinner end earlier than the fatter end. I'm also cooking mushrooms on the CI pan, warming the pyrex and cooking pasta for the kiddos.

20210620_190422.jpg

This is blurry, but I baked some panko crust pork chops. Kids wanted a change, it was 103 degrees out and I wasn't going to turn on oven on inside with the A/C going.

20210613_192644.jpg

I cook pizza on the gasser with double stacked pizza stones. gets the pizza up to the heat, and shields the crust from direct fire of the burners.

20210531_200048.jpg

600F with the two pizza stones in.

20210531_200005.jpg

Last edited:
this spring I picked up a used Genesis E 330 and I use it for all sorts of quick and fast and hot cooks.

It rarely cooks meat unless I'm reverse searing, and I have a lodge cast iron griddle that fits nicely in half of the area.

It has three burners plus a sear burner and I can get it up over 600F for making pizza.

I can find these in the $250 range in good condition out here. in New York the rust on the frame may be an issue.

good luck.

reverse searing tri tip after smoking it. I cut it in half on the seam so I can pull off the thinner end earlier than the fatter end. I'm also cooking mushrooms on the CI pan, warming the pyrex and cooking pasta for the kiddos.

View attachment 7187

This is blurry, but I baked some panko crust pork chops. Kids wanted a change, it was 103 degrees out and I wasn't going to turn on oven on inside with the A/C going.

View attachment 7188

I cook pizza on the gasser with double stacked pizza stones. gets the pizza up to the heat, and shields the crust from direct fire of the burners.

View attachment 7189

600F with the two pizza stones in.

View attachment 7190

I have the same grill but bronze.

https://www.amazon.com/BBQ-Hack-Gri...1&keywords=Griddle+hack&qid=1631815938&sr=8-3

I’ve only used this a few times so far but it’s been an awesome hack to turn my Ironwood 650 into a black stone. You can search bbq hack griddle on YouTube and see it in action.
I do plan on getting something like that, but I am trying to go the route where I can crank up a gasser for searing (and reverse searing) as well as occasionally being able to do smash burgers and some other things that generally do better at high temps. Ideally, I'd like to keep the T1300 for low-and-slow to medium-and-not-too-fast cooks.

I figured something like this would be good to drop on the T-1300, whatever gasser I get, or in a worst-case, range top.

I do plan on getting something like that, but I am trying to go the route where I can crank up a gasser for searing (and reverse searing) as well as occasionally being able to do smash burgers and some other things that generally do better at high temps. Ideally, I'd like to keep the T1300 for low-and-slow to medium-and-not-too-fast cooks.

I figured something like this would be good to drop on the T-1300, whatever gasser I get, or in a worst-case, range top.

I’m a minimalist though, I now I only need pellets for my smoker. One machine does all my cooks with one fuel source. Watch this video about the bbq hack to see it in action. I’ll set my traeger to 350 and I do close the lid once I put my food on.

Last edited:
So many choices! I am sort of mulling this as well.

Currently I am using that lodge cast iron griddle on my gas grill. It is fine most of the time and the only time I wish I had something larger is when I am making fajitas for a crowd. For those occasions I have considered getting gas grill version of the BBQ hack above:

The only thing holding me back is that these things go for around $150. But I remember last year during Black Friday sales standalone 28 inch Blackstones were going for $175. That seems like better value for your money, unless you are a minimalist like Jbolden2!

Back