Coating/cap?

iamhungus

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I’ve had the grill for about 3 months, multiple cooks no issues. I did notice today that I seem to have more ash than normal so I decided to clean it today during commercials for the Super Bowl. I hit this sensor thing with my grate cleaner by accident. The coating/cap that was the sensor flew off and there’s no way it’s getting back on.

Questions:
1. What is it?
2. Did I break it?
3. If I broke it, how do I fix it?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1F9988DC-F28A-45E4-83DD-C87EDCE420F7.jpeg
    1F9988DC-F28A-45E4-83DD-C87EDCE420F7.jpeg
    167.1 KB · Views: 510
1. Its the rtd which sends temp signal to the controller.
2.Yes it is broke.
3. Some ppl put high temp epoxy or JB weld.
4. Call Traeger CS.

2.Yes it is broke.
4. Call Traeger CS. If under warranty.
It may work temporarily.

2.Yes it is broke.
4. Call Traeger CS.
Thank you for the great info and quick response. I definitely need to be more careful next time. The replacement process looks more involved than when I initially set it up! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Thanks again for the help a few weeks ago. I received the part from Traeger CS in about a week. I finally got around to fixing it yesterday.

I wish I could say it was an easy fix, it was extremely hard to remove the screws, which led to one completely stripped screw. There was also a missing step from the otherwise helpful video, and then on re-installation, two screws (not stripped) won't completely seat and continue to spin. They can't be tightened or taken out. If the thermocouple breaks again, I won't be able to replace it because I won't be able to remove that panel. Frustrating process to say the least.

Nice. So we should be able to get the job done in under 3 minutes like the video. 🤣
Hahaha. I wish. Including the time on the phone with customer service (was trying to see if they could send replacement screws...they can't. They weren't 100% sure, but I think they are 1/4 20 3/8 length screws for the heat shield) a trip to Ace, a trip to Home Depot, the job clocked in at just under 5 hours. I'm more worried about the constantly turning screws if there's an additional problem that requires me to get behind the top heat shield. Oh well. It used to cook well, now I'll see how she does with the new RTD. :unsure:

Thanks again for the help a few weeks ago. I received the part from Traeger CS in about a week. I finally got around to fixing it yesterday.

I wish I could say it was an easy fix, it was extremely hard to remove the screws, which led to one completely stripped screw. There was also a missing step from the otherwise helpful video, and then on re-installation, two screws (not stripped) won't completely seat and continue to spin. They can't be tightened or taken out. If the thermocouple breaks again, I won't be able to replace it because I won't be able to remove that panel. Frustrating process to say the least.

How much time did it take to do the job? I'm looking at the same thing. Mine is in the same shape and I get a 30 to 40 degree difference from what the D2 says and what my Fireboard says with the probes in the same location.

D2 vs FireBoard.jpg

Same issue here. I knocked a piece of ceramic off yesterday. Those screws holding the thermocouple won't budge. I may have ruined the Phillips heads. I have had some luck using vise grips on the screw heads before. I'd like to try to install some kind of protection first. Does anyone know if the side wall can be drilled? I was thinking of installing self tapping screws for some kind of shield.

I coated mine with JB Weld. It still had most of the ceramic coating so I just patched the chipped part. I'll have to run a test soon to compare with the Fireboard.

I coated mine with JB Weld. It still had most of the ceramic coating so I just patched the chipped part. I'll have to run a test soon to compare with the Fireboard.

Got a pic of it after coating? My new sensor arrived today. Don't know when I will get to changing it out.

Got a pic of it after coating? My new sensor arrived today. Don't know when I will get to changing it out.
Here's the pic. I circled the spot that was chipped off.
Traeger RTD_LI.jpg

Latest Discussions

Back