C'mon Traeger....5ghz is here now. time to update

Many products, like Ring Cameras, Irrigation Controllers, Water and Power Meters all strictly use 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi, not because it's old tech, but because it's the better frequency choice for longest range.

5Ghz is much faster, but has much shorter range. These products don't need speed, they need signal strength to reach their more remote home locations.

Be careful what you ask for.

Piggy backing onto RemE's post above regarding longest range ... 802.11n was the first widely available use of 5GHz Wi-Fi and dates back to 2009 ... more info below:

The goal for all IoT-device vendors is to reach the widest possible customer base "out-of-the-box" ... that means targeting the most widely implemented Wi-Fi Standard possible ... the following table is a quick summary of the timeline of the "major" releases with regards to Wi-Fi that have been widely adopted by the industry:

Predominant Wi-Fi Network Standards in use today ...
802.11b - circa 2000 - 2.4GHz - 11Mb/sec max data rate​
802.11g - circa 2003 - 2.4GHz - 54Mb/sec max data rate​
802.11n (aka Wi-Fi 4) - circa 2009 - 2.4GHz & 5GHz - 600Mb/sec max data rate​
802.11ac (aka Wi-Fi 5) - circa 2013 - 2.4GHz & 5GHz - 600Mb/sec max data rate​
+ wider channels & more streams & higher-order modulation & addition of MU-MIMO​
+ Mesh Networks starting to become available 2017+​
802.11ax (aka Wi-Fi 6) - circa 2019/2020 - 2.4GHz & 5GHz​
+ goal is to provide 4x the throughput of 802.11ac​
+ OFDMA introduced for multiplexing​

What's Next?
Wi-Fi 6E (leveraging 6GHz band) is coming as an extension to the 802.11ax standard ...​
802.11be (presumed to be called Wi-Fi 7) - coming in 2024?​

Given the above, almost all IoT-device vendors implement Wi-Fi via a chipset that supports 802.11b/g/n, as that will reach the widest possible customer base, thus creating the requirement for connecting the IoT-device to a 2.4GHz Wireless Network ...

What causes "challenges" with the Traeger implementation is that the Setup/Pairing process via the App requires the App Device to stay connected to the same 2.4GHz radio as the WiFIRE Controller through completion in order to successfully setup/pair the WiFIRE Controller back to the Traeger Cloud back-end ...

Many products, like Ring Cameras, Irrigation Controllers, Water and Power Meters all strictly use 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi, not because it's old tech, but because it's the better frequency choice for longest range.

5Ghz is much faster, but has much shorter range. These products don't need speed, they need signal strength to reach their more remote home locations.

Be careful what you ask for.

I had a mesh point 5 feet away from my Traeger and it would not connect on a 2.4 network. So, I upgraded to the widest range available....my neighbor across the street gets a full strength 100mb/s download speed on my network. Still nothing.

I had a mesh point 5 feet away from my Traeger and it would not connect on a 2.4 network. So, I upgraded to the widest range available....my neighbor across the street gets a full strength 100mb/s download speed on my network. Still nothing.

Are you sure it is the WiFIRE Controller not connecting to your 2.4GHz Radio and not the App Device defaulting/switching to its preferred radio (i.e. 5GHz) during the setup process? That being said, depending on who's Mesh Network product you are using, you may find it necessary to disable the 5GHz radio long enough to run through setup and complete, and then you can re-enable the 5GHz radio ...

I have the Linksys Velop mesh system. Traeger connects to it fine. I always get a "Fair" signal but don't ever lose connection.

I had a switch in a closet right next to the grill so I tossed a cheap $50 2.4Ghz only access point in there. I see -24db "excellent" signal.

That said, my current controller has a radio problem in that the signal strength drops about 10 min after the grill is running to about -70db. The previous controller was rock solid for a year so I know it's just a bad radio in this one. So far, Traeger is 3 calls and 8 weeks into replacing this one, not sure why.

Are you sure it is the WiFIRE Controller not connecting to your 2.4GHz Radio and not the App Device defaulting/switching to its preferred radio (i.e. 5GHz) during the setup process? That being said, depending on who's Mesh Network product you are using, you may find it necessary to disable the 5GHz radio long enough to run through setup and complete, and then you can re-enable the 5GHz radio ...

Thank you!

Latest Discussions

Back