Cleaning the new 2023 Ironwood/Timberline series

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
2023 Ironwood-L
One disappointment I've had with the new Ironwood is the cleaning process. I was under the assumption that it would require less maintenance than the old Ironwood, considering the design that allows ash to fall into the grease bucket beneath the grill. However, this hasn't quite worked as expected. There is still a lot of of ash that never seems to make it. Here's what my grill looks like after 3 fairly hi-temp quick cooks (burgers, pizza, salmon)

2023-traeger-ironwood-cleanup.jpeg

Traeger also doesn't offer a liner or recommend using foil on the drip tray making it harder to clean.

Any tips or suggestions?

Your photo looks exactly like my Timberline that I just cleaned this morning after a monumentally long brisket cook. I attribute the long cook to the low temperature reading from the Traeger sensor, which was sometimes as much as 40 degrees cooler than indicated. I used an ambient probe from my BBQ Guru Ultra Q for comparison. Yesterday I ordered a Fire Board Pro and when it arrives tomorrow I plan to install 3 ambient probes in the pit and will base future cooks on those readings.Still loving my new Traeger though.

One disappointment I've had with the new Ironwood is the cleaning process. I was under the assumption that it would require less maintenance than the old Ironwood, considering the design that allows ash to fall into the grease bucket beneath the grill. However, this hasn't quite worked as expected. There is still a lot of of ash that never seems to make it. Here's what my grill looks like after 3 fairly hi-temp quick cooks (burgers, pizza, salmon)

View attachment 21128

Traeger also doesn't offer a liner or recommend using foil on the drip tray making it harder to clean.

Any tips or suggestions?
Thanks for the pic. Now I know that the ash from the fire box doesn't drop into the externally removable cup like the Camp Chef. Darn. Heck. Guess I buy a new camp chef and not a newer a Traeger. Thanks.

Thanks for the pic. Now I know that the ash from the fire box doesn't drop into the externally removable cup like the Camp Chef. Darn. Heck. Guess I buy a new camp chef and not a newer a Traeger. Thanks.

This complaint wouldn't keep me from buying the grill again. The other features and build quality more then make up for it.

It takes 30 secs to shop vac that handful of dust, that’s at least 4 times less the time it took you to log in to this website and and type your comments. If you estimate the length of time you spent on 3 cooks then 30 seconds shop vac is really amazing.
I’m coming from a life long background with charcoal. In comparison charcoal grills takes a life time to cook. It’ll take longer to clean up the mess you may make in a side kitchen cooking the same things.

Back