Check this out (searing related)

Would you find this type of improved searing grate useful?

• Heck yeah!

• Not so much.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Traegernator

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Hi fellow Traeger-fans! I'm new to this forum and wanted to share something I've been working on as a personal pet-project with this community:

I like a good seared rib eye steak and never could quite obtain what I wanted with real grill marks and deep maillard reaction on on my Traeger Pro (Gen 1) and then later on my upgraded Ironwood 650. I've tried the reverse sear method with the stock porcelain grilling grates and the result is tasty, but more like a broiled steak with smokiness. I wanted more, so I set about finding a new way. The result, is a new type of grilling grate that harnesses very high heat without blocking air flow.

Here is the result of the new and improved grilling grate on a stock Traeger Ironwood 650 with aluminum drip pan liner and NO grill press, finished in 15 minutes flat:

IMG_1524.jpeg

and here is the same thing with the stock Traeger porcelain grates on a stock Traeger Ironwood 650 with aluminum drip pan liner and NO grill press:

IMG_0579.jpeg

and here is the result of a supercharged version of the new and improved grilling grate on a stock Traeger Ironwood 650 with aluminum drip pan liner and NO grill press (note, it harnesses immense heat -- perhaps too much in this particular example):

IMG_0572.jpeg

The above rib eye was grilled to 135˚F center in 12-minutes flat.

There is ZERO cast-iron in these improved grates, so no rusting, no special handling, and no seasoning required whatsoever. Am I onto something here or is this a waste of time? What say ye?

Last edited:
Looks like you finally discovered Grillgrates. They definitely help any grill they are on, including gas grills

Last edited:
The real Grillgrates... yes
Aluminum is King

I know you weren't using aluminum, that's my point.

Great sear, but I have given up on searing on a Traeger as you go through pellets like crazy and it takes time to get to temp and then unless your Traeger is absolutely clean, it WILL catch fire and burn off some of the grease. I use the Traeger to reverse sear. Meat get a smoke bath for about 50 minutes and then I fire up the old gasser and in 10 minutes, it's at 800 degrees. 60 seconds a side and meat is ready.

Seared Wagyu London Broil.jpg

Great sear, but I have given up on searing on a Traeger as you go through pellets like crazy and it takes time to get to temp and then unless your Traeger is absolutely clean, it WILL catch fire and burn off some of the grease. I use the Traeger to reverse sear. Meat get a smoke bath for about 50 minutes and then I fire up the old gasser and in 10 minutes, it's at 800 degrees. 60 seconds a side and meat is ready.

View attachment 7121

BOOM!!!! (y) (y) (y) (y) U R DA MAN GM

You guys cook steak on a Traeger?

Since I bought a Weber Kettle this summer that is all I've used. Heat coals and put them on one side of the grill only to cook indirect heat, move over coals for a good sear, sit back and enjoy!

Even before this, I would reverse sear the steak starting in the Traeger and sear using the gasser in a cast iron skillet with a little tallow add.

Many ways to skin that cow!

Steaks? Who can afford steak? I gotta save up just to by briskets!

Plus, it shouldn't take owning two grills to get the job done -- I get that it works really well for you, but how does Traeger feel about their "Traegerhood" having to go over to the "Weberhood" to finish their steaks off?
Well, for most of us Traeger is not our first grill and if a long time BBQer, then you usually have multiple smokers/grills.
But as you said above, "to each his own". For me, I was never under the impression Traeger was the 'end all', cuz none of my smokers really are.

Sometimes it's up to the consumer to do their research and homework before such a purchase, sorry but that's just wise shopping.

BTW, you have never said in this whole thread what "grate" you are even talking about.

Back