Pellets Charcoal Pellets vs Wood Pellets

Dcgunman

Reaction score
Grill
Century 885
I’m new to this wood pellet grilling technique. Very happy and satisfied so far. The last 30+ years I’ve used a gas grill. 2 Weber’s. Still have both. But before I purchased my 620 (now a 885) I smoked twice with a charcoal Brinkman cheap O. And both times my pork shoulder came out excellent with that charcoal flavor I was missing for so many years. The main reason I went with Traeger was because it is user friendly. I don’t have to tend to it and feed it charcoals and wood every 20-30 minutes like the Brinkman. Set it and forget it. Right?
So looking into the different pellet brands and flavor I noticed Pit Boss has 100% charcoal flavor pellets. Is this something new in the wood pellets? Then I saw a post, not here, about Royal Oak has a brand new 100% charcoal pellets coming soon. I’ve seen a few other brands with charcoal blended with wood pellets. Is there other brands out there that carry 100% charcoal pellets? Has anyone here used charcoal pellets and how does it compare? Do you get that charcoal smell and flavor? I’ve seen a couple reviews on YouTube. But I’d like to here from you guys. I don’t trust some of the YouTubers 100%. I use YouTube as a guide. Thx.

There was a post here a few months ago where someone tried those pellets and had some auger jams. I bought a bag but was afraid to use them after that.

I’ll see if I can find it or search “charcoal pellets” and see if it pops up.

I believe the consensus was to use them as a mix or in a smoke tube.

There was a post here a few months ago where someone tried those pellets and had some auger jams. I bought a bag but was afraid to use them after that.

I’ll see if I can find it or search “charcoal pellets” and see if it pops up.

I believe the consensus was to use them as a mix or in a smoke tube.
I did a quick search on charcoal here but didn’t see anything. I may have missed it. would like to see before I try using charcoal pellets. I wouldn’t think anything bad could happen using charcoal on a Traeger. But you never know.

I did a quick search on charcoal here but didn’t see anything. I may have missed it. would like to see before I try using charcoal pellets. I wouldn’t think anything bad could happen using charcoal on a Traeger. But you never know.
I believe it's this thread. Look in the post before this one, though.

I believe it's this thread. Look in the post before this one, though.

Thx for this link. So reading this maybe a smoke tube is the way to go if you want to use PB charcoal pellets? Or mix the charcoal with the wood pellets in the hopper box? I haven’t found any charcoal pellets yet. Just online. But I’m kinda curious on the new Royal Oak charcoal pellets? Are they any different than the Pit Boss? Also if other pellet grills are okay taking the charcoal pellets in their auger why is the Traeger having problems? If pellets are the issue here? This is why I don’t trust the YouTube videos 100%.

Thx for this link. So reading this maybe a smoke tube is the way to go if you want to use PB charcoal pellets? Or mix the charcoal with the wood pellets in the hopper box? I haven’t found any charcoal pellets yet. Just online. But I’m kinda curious on the new Royal Oak charcoal pellets? Are they any different than the Pit Boss? Also if other pellet grills are okay taking the charcoal pellets in their auger why is the Traeger having problems? If pellets are the issue here? This is why I don’t trust the YouTube videos 100%.

I still would just save the charcoal ones for the tube if me.... They are hard, some hard as a rock, that's all it takes to jam that auger. I'm just saying it's not worth the risk for me.

I've used Jack Daniels pellets and they've been awesome!

I saw these at my local H-E-B today. Anyone try them?

1628643909405.png

Here's my local H-E-B pellet selection. B&B Mesquite, Hickory, Pecan, & Post Oak. Traeger Signature & Mesquite, and Royal Oak Charcoal. I still buy 40# B&B Championship Blend for $14.99 at Buc-ees's and Academy though.

1628644016178.png

I saw these at my local H-E-B today. Anyone try them?

View attachment 6833

Here's my local H-E-B pellet selection. B&B Mesquite, Hickory, Pecan, & Post Oak. Traeger Signature & Mesquite, and Royal Oak Charcoal. I still buy 40# B&B Championship Blend for $14.99 at Buc-ees's and Academy though.

View attachment 6834
I justgot those delivered yesterday but haven't had a chance to use them. Advertisement said burns hotter, no clogs & gave a list of grills/smokers they're supposed to be compatible with, including Traeger.

I justgot those delivered yesterday but haven't had a chance to use them. Advertisement said burns hotter, no clogs & gave a list of grills/smokers they're supposed to be compatible with, including Traeger.
Good luck. Please let us know how they do in your T grill. I am looking for a bag to try. But I might try them in my smoke tube instead of the pellet box. So it would be a combination with wood pellets.

Any Feedback on the Jack Daniels Charcoal Pellets? PU a bag today to run in my smoker tube.....

Finished up a Tri Tip tonight... Can’t say I picked up much of a charcoal taste in the Tri Tip.. It did put out a favorable charcoal smell the longer it burned in the tube.. I will say that it lasted noticeably longer smoking in the tube than other brands Bear Mt., Traeger, the Tip was excellent!

Back