Cannot Connect new Silverton 620

Mikeonthelake

Reaction score
Grill
Silverton 620
My new Costco Silverton 620 was delivered this past Wednesday. I moved it up to my place on the lake yesterday, then moved the box to my front deck this morning and assembled it. Tried to connect to the internet and ran into problems. My WiFi router only has 2.4 ghz and is about 10 feet away from where I have the grill.

I've an android LG V60 and the app could not connect to the grill after I entered my WiFi password. Tried multiple times and then called Traeger customer service. The very friendly CS person walked me through multiple steps, but no go. I even stole my wife's Samsung Note 8 and tried with her phone, but no luck. He told me to do what I've pasted below and sent me an email with instructions. I'm seasoning the grill now and will cook some chicken afterwards, and then will follow his suggestions. My question is this. He told me when I do the reset the D2 controller will connect to the Traeger satellite network and look for the update he is having pushed down to my grill and will update the controller in about 3 hours. Does this sound correct? The controller is not connected to my WiFi network and I don't think the controller can connect to a satellite network without being connected to my WiFi network. I asked him about this and he told me it is in the troubleshooting article he was reading. I asked hom if he could send that to me, or send me a screenshot and he said it was proprietary information and could not be sent. My software version is 2.00.00. Thanks!

This is ______ with Traeger Grills sending you this email to provide the instructions to factory reset your controller.

Resolution:
  • If controller firmware is V2.00.01 or later go to MENU > SETTINGS > ABOUT GRILL. Hold the IGNITE button for 10-15s to restart the grill. NOTE: Some later FW versions will also forget network and reset certificates. Some earlier FW versions will just reset the grill.

Please reach out to us if you are still having this issue after resetting the grill's controller.

Satellite connection? That’s a first. Traeger is going to have to send you a replacement controller. Just ask for it now. 2.00.00 is a dud.

Satellite connection? That’s a first. Traeger is going to have to send you a replacement controller. Just ask for it now. 2.00.00 is a dud.
Thanks! He did tell me if it did not update overnight it was a hardware issue and they would send me a new controller. After 40 years of working in high tech electronics mfg at a fairly high level, my gut tells me these grills don't connect to satellites. He was trying to be helpful and I could tell he believed what he was saying, so I did not call him out on it too much. It's Saturday and I'm at the lake, so I try not to be a jerk..:)

Chicken is cooking now and looking good. Will be a late dinner, but that's OK.

I purchased the 620 in May and a couple of observations with the wifi connection and phone. 1. Wont work on 5g network so both phone and traeger need to be on the 2.4 network. 2. I have an android phone and have problems with keeping the connection. For long cooks, will end up force closing app and restart after an hour or so and phone will synch up again. However on my Apple iPad, I have no issues with connections so seems to work better with the apple ios.

Thanks! He did tell me if it did not update overnight it was a hardware issue and they would send me a new controller. After 40 years of working in high tech electronics mfg at a fairly high level, my gut tells me these grills don't connect to satellites. He was trying to be helpful and I could tell he believed what he was saying, so I did not call him out on it too much. It's Saturday and I'm at the lake, so I try not to be a jerk..:)

If you cannot connect to the Traeger Cloud back-end (running on AWS - Amazon Web Services ... no satellites involved :) ), the WiFIRE Controller cannot be updated to Firmware version 02.00.01 ... as was pointed out above, lots of "challenges" getting Firmware 02.00.00 connected (this is from the January 2020 release) ... highly likely that Traeger Customer Service will need to send you a replacement controller to get things working if you are unable to get it connected to your Home Wi-Fi Network ...

Here is a post from a Traeger Dealer outlining the "new/updated" deadline (used to be before June 1st, 2020) for getting WiFIRE Controllers connected and updated before they are cut-off ... https://www.woodardmercantile.com/traeger-wifire-update/

I will add some info below to consider:

==========

First step in troubleshooting issues with WiFIRE: One thing to verify on your end is the need to use separate network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless frequencies - depending on what WiFi Router/Access Point you use, as well as what mobile device you are using to run the app on, it may be a requirement ... when the network names are the same, and if your mobile device supports 5GHz, the mobile device will by default attach to the 5GHz frequency, while the Grill is connected on the 2.4GHz frequency, resulting in no connection between the App and the Grill ... giving one of the wireless network frequencies a different name allows you to "force" the mobile device to attach to the 2.4GHz network and successfully connect ...

I call my IoT-based device Wireless Networks...
idIoT
idIoT 5GHz
...to support this specific scenario

Additional troubleshooting scenarios and information listed here:
https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-controllers
https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-troubleshooting

WiFIRE Troubleshooting Wizard: http://wizard.web.traegergrills.io/wifire/welcome

==========

Failed / Hung Setup of WiFIRE | Airplane Mode Workaround

ISSUE: Multiple people have reported that the initial setup of WiFIRE will fail/hang before completion ... this is due to the App device defaulting back to the "preferred" 5GHz Wireless Network after handing off the necessary 2.4GHz Wireless Network information to the Grill (Network Name (SSID), Encryption Type, Password). The App Device MUST reconnect back to the 2.4GHz Home Wireless Network in order for the setup process to successfully complete.

WORKAROUND: The best way to eliminate the failed/hung setup state for WiFIRE is to first put your App Device into Airplane Mode, then manually turn Wi-Fi back on, then "forget" the 5GHz Wi-Fi network, then connect to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and start the setup process from the beginning ... this eliminates any potential issues with regards to the App Device reconnecting back to the wrong (i.e. 5GHz) Home Wi-Fi Network during the setup process ... once the setup process has successfully completed, you can take the App Device out of Airplane Mode, and reconnect to the 5GHz Wireless network on your App Device (if desired) ...

==========

Below is a listing of troubleshooting/reset steps that have worked for some folks:

01) Factory Reset WiFIRE Controller
02) Manually select Forget Network on the WiFIRE Controller - confirm that the WiFIRE Controller is now displaying Traeger-XXXX as the SSID: value
03) Remove Grill from App (if App Device = Android, purge App Cache as well)
04) Power Off Grill
05) Delete App from App Device
06) Power Off App Device
07) Power On Grill
08) Power On App Device
09) Install App from AppStore / Google Play
10) OPTIONAL - go into the web portal or App of your Router / Wireless Access Point and turn off the 5GHz radio ...
11) Go into Settings on App Device and put into Airplane Mode

11a) Manually turn on Wi-Fi on App Device
11b) Forget any/all Home Wi-Fi Network SSIDs to prevent the App Device from reconnecting to the preferred (i.e. 5GHz radio) when switching back from the internal network of the WiFIRE Controller (Traeger-XXXX) prior to the setup/pairing process successfully completing ...

12) Connect App Device to Home Wi-Fi Network (2.4GHz radio / SSID)
13) Open App and perform Add a Grill setup/pairing
14) Upon completion of setup/pairing (after Grill has been named and you can control Temp/Timer via the App) ... if you had previously done Step 10), go back into web portal or App of your Router / Wireless Access Point and re-enable 5GHz radio ... finally, take App Device out of Airplane Mode ...

Let us know if this works ... :)

Last edited:
If you cannot connect to the Traeger Cloud back-end (running on AWS - Amazon Web Services ... no satellites involved :) ), the WiFIRE Controller cannot be updated to Firmware version 02.00.01 ... as was pointed out above, lots of "challenges" getting Firmware 02.00.00 connected (this is from the January 2020 release) ... highly likely that Traeger Customer Service will need to send you a replacement controller to get things working if you are unable to get it connected to your Home Wi-Fi Network ...

Here is a post from a Traeger Dealer outlining the "new/updated" deadline (used to be before June 1st, 2020) for getting WiFIRE Controllers connected and updated before they are cut-off ... https://www.woodardmercantile.com/traeger-wifire-update/

I will add some info below to consider:

==========

First step in troubleshooting issues with WiFIRE: One thing to verify on your end is the need to use separate network names (SSIDs) for the 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wireless frequencies - depending on what WiFi Router/Access Point you use, as well as what mobile device you are using to run the app on, it may be a requirement ... when the network names are the same, and if your mobile device supports 5GHz, the mobile device will by default attach to the 5GHz frequency, while the Grill is connected on the 2.4GHz frequency, resulting in no connection between the App and the Grill ... giving one of the wireless network frequencies a different name allows you to "force" the mobile device to attach to the 2.4GHz network and successfully connect ...

I call my IoT-based device Wireless Networks...
idIoT
idIoT 5GHz
...to support this specific scenario

Additional troubleshooting scenarios and information listed here:
https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-controllers
https://www.traegergrills.com/support/wifire-troubleshooting

WiFIRE Troubleshooting Wizard: http://wizard.web.traegergrills.io/wifire/welcome

==========

Failed / Hung Setup of WiFIRE | Airplane Mode Workaround

ISSUE: Multiple people have reported that the initial setup of WiFIRE will fail/hang before completion ... this is due to the App device defaulting back to the "preferred" 5GHz Wireless Network after handing off the necessary 2.4GHz Wireless Network information to the Grill (Network Name (SSID), Encryption Type, Password). The App Device MUST reconnect back to the 2.4GHz Home Wireless Network in order for the setup process to successfully complete.

WORKAROUND: The best way to eliminate the failed/hung setup state for WiFIRE is to first put your App Device into Airplane Mode, then manually turn Wi-Fi back on, then "forget" the 5GHz Wi-Fi network, then connect to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network and start the setup process from the beginning ... this eliminates any potential issues with regards to the App Device reconnecting back to the wrong (i.e. 5GHz) Home Wi-Fi Network during the setup process ... once the setup process has successfully completed, you can take the App Device out of Airplane Mode, and reconnect to the 5GHz Wireless network on your App Device (if desired) ...

==========

Below is a listing of troubleshooting/reset steps that have worked for some folks:

01) Factory Reset WiFIRE Controller
02) Manually select Forget Network on the WiFIRE Controller - confirm that the WiFIRE Controller is now displaying Traeger-XXXX as the SSID: value
03) Remove Grill from App (if App Device = Android, purge App Cache as well)
04) Power Off Grill
05) Delete App from App Device
06) Power Off App Device
07) Power On Grill
08) Power On App Device
09) Install App from AppStore / Google Play
10) OPTIONAL - go into the web portal or App of your Router / Wireless Access Point and turn off the 5GHz radio ...
11) Go into Settings on App Device and put into Airplane Mode

11a) Manually turn on Wi-Fi on App Device
11b) Forget any/all Home Wi-Fi Network SSIDs to prevent the App Device from reconnecting to the preferred (i.e. 5GHz radio) when switching back from the internal network of the WiFIRE Controller (Traeger-XXXX) prior to the setup/pairing process successfully completing ...

12) Connect App Device to Home Wi-Fi Network (2.4GHz radio / SSID)
13) Open App and perform Add a Grill setup/pairing
14) Upon completion of setup/pairing (after Grill has been named and you can control Temp/Timer via the App) ... if you had previously done Step 10), go back into web portal or App of your Router / Wireless Access Point and re-enable 5GHz radio ... finally, take App Device out of Airplane Mode ...

Let us know if this works ... :)
Hey Thanks! There's a lot to unpack here but I only have a 2.4 ghz signal on my Wifi at the lake.

Chicken came out OK. I rushed it, so it was nothing special.

As expected, software did not update overnight. Spent another hour on the phone with Traeger CS this morning. More troubleshooting with same errors. They won't replace the controller and want to bump up to next tier of support. I'm frustrated now and can't waste more of my time on this. Going to disassemble it now, box it back up and return it to Costco.

What a shame. I really was looking forward to using this grill and wanted to like it. This will end up being a lot of effort on my part with nothing to show for it.

Chicken came out OK. I rushed it, so it was nothing special.

As expected, software did not update overnight. Spent another hour on the phone with Traeger CS this morning. More troubleshooting with same errors. They won't replace the controller and want to bump up to next tier of support. I'm frustrated now and can't waste more of my time on this. Going to disassemble it now, box it back up and return it to Costco.

What a shame. I really was looking forward to using this grill and wanted to like it. This will end up being a lot of effort on my part with nothing to show for it.

If you end up buying another one, ask if they’ll let you plug it in. That way you can see if it’s running the 02.00.00 firmware before you take it home. If it’s something older or newer, you should be good to go.

If you end up buying another one, ask if they’ll let you plug it in. That way you can see if it’s running the 02.00.00 firmware before you take it home. If it’s something older or newer, you should be good to go.
Returned the 620 to Costco today. My local Costco has no grills at all and I did not want to order another 620 online. Too much work to get it up to the lake and assemble it and then run into problems. I may order a Rec Tec 590 this week.

Returned the 620 to Costco today. My local Costco has no grills at all and I did not want to order another 620 online. Too much work to get it up to the lake and assemble it and then run into problems. I may order a Rec Tec 590 this week.
Sucks on having to do the return on the grill. Like the direction you may head in for the replacement. Please give a review of that here in comparison to what the Traeger was. I know you didn't get a lot of time with the Traeger, but first impressions are helpful too.
I am already looking into the future as to where my next step will be in a grill

Connection Success!!

I went thru all the online suggestions, then ended up calling support and going thru all their suggestions to no avail. I was trying to connect my grill with my Android Phone. They said they would have to reset my UUID and would take a few business days. I received an email thanking me for my patience AND they had one other suggestion...TRY IT FROM ANOTHER DEVICE/PHONE. I picked up my wife's iPhone, loaded the app, then added the grill...dang! IT WORKED!

I went back to my Android (Galaxy S8) opened the app and there was my grill displaying current status. Don't know why the Android phone would not work, but the iPhone did. If you are having trouble, grab someone's iPhone and connect the grill. Afterwards you can delete the Traeger app from their iPhone.

Back