CAN NOT OBTAIN A SMOKE RING ON MY BRISKET

Hello everyone and thank you for helping me out here.
I have been cooking briskets for many years on my offset smoker.
I do a lot if cooking for the church and have cooked as many as 14 briskets at one time and have never had a problem with obtaining a smoke ring.
I purchased my new Traeger Ironwood 885 in May 2021 and since then I have cooked 4 briskets.
The reason I purchased a Traeger is that I needed something a little bit more easy on my body as cooking for 12- 15 hours would just wear me out.
I have tried everything (Water Pan, Super Smoke at 210 degrees, prepping my brisket the night before and place it cold inside the Traeger, Very light on the Rub, Using Traeger Oak or Hickory Pellets))

Any advice would be great please as I miss not seeing the smoke ring and more of the smoky flavor in my brisket

Thank you
David
I've never had a problem getting a solid 1/4" or more smoke ring on my briskets. Consider using a smoker tube. I was never satisfied with enough smoke flavor with my Traeger until someone suggested the pellet tube. I also put my brisket (or anything else I want to have a heavier smoke flavor) on the grill earlier than recommended. I put it on the grill right away so when the initial smoke starts the meat is really getting engulfed with all that smoke. Good luck, don't give up on it because it will give a great smoke ring.

I've never had a problem getting a solid 1/4" or more smoke ring on my briskets. Consider using a smoker tube. I was never satisfied with enough smoke flavor with my Traeger until someone suggested the pellet tube. I also put my brisket (or anything else I want to have a heavier smoke flavor) on the grill earlier than recommended. I put it on the grill right away so when the initial smoke starts the meat is really getting engulfed with all that smoke. Good luck, don't give up on it because it will give a great smoke ring.
Dang! I just ordered me a "LIZZQ Premium Pellet Smoker Tube 12 inches" on Amazon for $12. I use a Treager. I'll be smoking a Pork Butt / Shoulder this weekend. I'm looking forward to enhancing my smoking experience.

I have Mesquite and Costco's Treager Blend. The tube will give me more opportunity to add different woods to what is in the hopper. One full tube lasts up to 5.5hrs? Cool!

I do a lot if cooking for the church and have cooked as many as 14 briskets at one time and have never had a problem with obtaining a smoke ring.
I purchased my new Traeger Ironwood 885 in May 2021 and since then I have cooked 4 briskets.
The reason I purchased a Traeger is that I needed something a little bit more easy on my body as cooking for 12- 15 hours would just wear me out.
I have tried everything (Water Pan, Super Smoke at 210 degrees, prepping my brisket the night before and place it cold inside the Traeger, Very light on the Rub, Using Traeger Oak or Hickory Pellets))

Any advice would be great please as I miss not seeing the smoke ring and more of the smoky flavor in my brisket

Thank you
David
Hi David:
I switched from offset to the Traeger like you and, although the meat coming off the Traeger has been good, it never had the depth of Smokey flavor my old smoker provided. The answer for me has been a smoke tube. Theyre available on Amazon for $12 - $25 or from Home Depot for $25 +/-. Good videos are on YouTube for their use.
i bought a $13 one from Amazon and it has added a lot of smoke flavor to my meat and has also enhanced the smoke ring significantly.
I hope this helps.
Blessings!

Hi David:
I switched from offset to the Traeger like you and, although the meat coming off the Traeger has been good, it never had the depth of Smokey flavor my old smoker provided. The answer for me has been a smoke tube. Theyre available on Amazon for $12 - $25 or from Home Depot for $25 +/-. Good videos are on YouTube for their use.
i bought a $13 one from Amazon and it has added a lot of smoke flavor to my meat and has also enhanced the smoke ring significantly.
I hope this helps.
Blessings!

Do one better, add wood chips to your tube with pellets... bourbon barrel chips are an awesome flavor

Smoke tubes definitely work. I did a packer fat side up a few weeks ago and placed it on the top shelf of my IW650. I filled the tube with hickory pellets, lit it, and stood it on the lower shelf leaning on the top shelf until it was time to wrap. I got a very decent smoke ring. But, I think Matt Pittman said in his brisket series "you can't taste smoke ring". To me it's a sign of a job well done.

I'm really glad everyone was able to help and you got what you're looking for.

I didn't read everyone's comments, but what's always worked for me is letting the brisket rest 2 hours before putting it on the smoker and allowing it to dry a bit with the rub on it. After a couple hours on the smoker at 180deg super smoke I spritz it hourly or every two hours depending on if I'm awake. All done fat side down. Smoke and keep smoking until you've got the bark you want. Usually 160-165-ish then wrap in paper to allow the bark to continue to form fat side up at 225deg. Start to probe around 195-200deg every 30min until tender.

I think a lot of ring is due to the pellets as well. I typically use Cabela's Competition Blend. It's never let me down and I always get a smoke ring.

Here's some of my best and worst briskets. Every single time I tried a different rub which is why they look different but the process was always the same. Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_0768.jpeg
    IMG_0768.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9976.jpeg
    IMG_9976.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8832.jpeg
    IMG_8832.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6872.jpeg
    IMG_6872.jpeg
    186.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_7211.jpeg
    IMG_7211.jpeg
    207.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 89783235-E059-4ECF-BA71-B461339DC09F.jpg
    89783235-E059-4ECF-BA71-B461339DC09F.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 78DE2FD0-E553-49CD-9518-B12E8BD7AC3B.jpg
    78DE2FD0-E553-49CD-9518-B12E8BD7AC3B.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 10

Thank you
David
Just remember David that the smoke ring has no extra taste, it is just an appearance that looks good. Lot of smokers are obsessed with having a good smoke ring or it is a failure, it is not.

Latest Discussions

Back