Can’t win

alphasig293

Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
I have issues with the hopper on #2 opening without rubbing. I’ve already adjusted the lid.
I have attached pictures of #1 which has no issues compared to #2. Surprisingly, the right side of the packaging was damaged too.

Attachments

• E64B388F-3CD2-4B05-9FAF-4184257A68EC.jpeg
    E64B388F-3CD2-4B05-9FAF-4184257A68EC.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 132
  • 9BFE5F55-A1CC-4184-BFA6-274255FC3141.jpeg
    9BFE5F55-A1CC-4184-BFA6-274255FC3141.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 104
  • 5A645477-6121-43CF-BF81-7018390C3C23.jpeg
    5A645477-6121-43CF-BF81-7018390C3C23.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 05DD8104-1D52-4941-94A5-BAC3366326AE.jpeg
    05DD8104-1D52-4941-94A5-BAC3366326AE.jpeg
    148.3 KB · Views: 98
I picked up my grill from my local ACE hardware, it was the heaviest box I've ever wrestled out of my car. I had to open the box and take out everything I could in order to get it in the house to assemble, and it took two people to stand it up!

It's a real bummer because with this heavy a box, if it's dropped, like yours BOTH look to be, then it's easy to see why they are getting bent. Unfortunately, the grill is such heavy gage steel that once it's bent, it's game over.

I wonder if you could swap the #1 pellet hopper with #2? The grill is pretty well designed for servicing, I checked mine and it looks like a 20-30min job, especially if they are new and clean.

Three's a charm, seems to be the line for your future, so sorry man!

They replaced my 850 with a 1300
Awesome! I'm assuming that this one is straight?

Now, be very careful seasoning the new grill, I would not exceed 400-450 for a while, to really let the paint cure. This is based on some paint issues reported on new grills after high temps.

Last edited:
Yep! No issues

Attachments

• 8617AD6F-DE05-426A-A040-E7C47BB98867.jpeg
    8617AD6F-DE05-426A-A040-E7C47BB98867.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 36
I have issues with the hopper on #2 opening without rubbing. I’ve already adjusted the lid.
I have attached pictures of #1 which has no issues compared to #2. Surprisingly, the right side of the packaging was damaged too.
Hi Alphasig, did Treager send you a replacement grill without requiring you to send back the original? I just received my first grill (Costco/Century 885) a couple days ago and it had a deformed barrel (got crushed in shipment I supposed). Customer service is replacing the grill but they told me I have to box it back up for a return shipment before they’ll replace. Just curious to know how you were able to hold onto the first grill.

Hi Alphasig, did Treager send you a replacement grill without requiring you to send back the original? I just received my first grill (Costco/Century 885) a couple days ago and it had a deformed barrel (got crushed in shipment I supposed). Customer service is replacing the grill but they told me I have to box it back up for a return shipment before they’ll replace. Just curious to know how you were able to hold onto the first grill.

YES YOU DO have to return it.
Same thing happened to me, shipped from Home Depot it showed up drum deformed... Weeks went by till I finally found out Traeger was NOT sending me a new drum like they said they would, and that I had to wait for a 3rd party Co. to pick mine up before they would ship my new one.

Boxed it up, took it back to Home Depot, told Traeger THNX but never mind, bought a new one from ABT, free shipping and $50 off. 5 days later I was grilling.

Take it back to Costco and get another one. From what i understand Costco is pretty good at taking the grills back without to much hassle. There are posts on the site about people returning them.

YES YOU DO have to return it.
Same thing happened to me, shipped from Home Depot it showed up drum deformed...

Posting this update in case anybody else has a damaged Traeger and has issues. A replacement century arrived about three weeks after my initial phone call. Evidently it would have been sooner but units were on back order due to Covid. Approximately two weeks after receiving the replacement unit, I received a call from the third-party freight company. They were very kind and picked the damaged unit as is – I didn’t even have to disassemble or box it up. To their credit Treager completely took care of my damaged grill and I was able to perform several cooks on it while waiting for the new grill to arrive.

I purchased a CostCo Century 885 on 4 DEC2020 that got here on 19JAN2021. I did the initial burn-in on 22 JAN2021. I posted the frustration with the Traeger temperature probes during the first cook of a small flat slab brisket. I was busy chasing the temperatures comparing Traeger to my Thermoworks Signals 4 probe device. The left side is the hot side as that is where the chimney is.

Yesterday, for my second cook, I cooked a CostCo pack of St Louis ribs. I had never bought ribs before and found out I be would cooking three racks. I placed them long ways in line with the grill body. The third unit was too long so I put it tan angle (later I cut it in half). This time I had three air probes on the center line of the grill. The left one was about four inches in as was the right one with one in the middle. I also had the 4th in a custom mounted bracket beside the Traeger probe.

There was at least a 20 degree variance from probe 4 and Traeger air probe. There was over a 40 degree increase in air temperature from right to left. I screwed the rain hat down nearly level with the top of the smoke pipe trying the throttle the escaping air to get an even temp in the grill. That did bring the right temp up some but still too much temp variance. I was flipping the racks left to right and moving the two to swap with the single that by now was cut in half so we had a full and half in each row.

I studied the design with all the parts out while cleaning the grill. The fire pot is about dead center and all combustion air comes down the square box with the auger inside and the air comes into the fire pot. The air goes up against a deflector but with the chimney at one end, air takes the path of least resistance and heads to the left. There is little incentive for the hot air to go to the right.

Thus for the Traeger probe to register 165 degrees on the right end, the left end, in my limited experience, could be 40 degrees hotter. Unless the meat is moved often, the left end gets cremated and the right side is under cooked.

A pain in the backside of course for a 12 hour cook if one has to sit there flipping the meat all night..

So I looked at a Timberline 1300 today. It appears that the "long flue opening" is on the back of the box. So there could be an even flow of air around the meat on the grill. If there is any temperature variance, one would think it would be front to back versus left to right like in the Century 885.

So has anyone with a multi probe temperature monitor done any temp tests to determine the hot spots on a 1300? Has anyone had a rack of ribs cool on one end and burnt on the other?

As the shipping box is long gone, the CostCo return option may not exist. But we do spend a lot at CostCo there could be some Goodwill to resolve the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_4417.JPG
    IMG_4417.JPG
    254.9 KB · Views: 13
The Timberline's also run hotter on the left but not hugely so. For long low cooks I've not found it to be a problem. I place briskets on the middle rack with the point on the left.

A pain in the backside of course for a 12 hour cook if one has to sit there flipping the meat all night..

If you wanna see a loaded grill and low worry about temp difference, ask Timmy how many times he's flipped his meat!!!

Ummm wait, I mean ask him how often he... ummm turns his meat over.

Okay here, I'll do it, HEY TIMMY, do you turn your ribs??

If you wanna see a loaded grill and low worry about temp difference, ask Timmy how many times he's flipped his meat!!!

Ummm wait, I mean ask him how often he... ummm turns his meat over.

Okay here, I'll do it, HEY TIMMY, do you turn your ribs??
When I remember to, I put them back on WHEN I wrap in reverse order. If I forget, NO.

I NEVER "flip" ANY meat I cook.20210306_111015.jpg
and I cook alot of different meats when I cook.

Edit: Chickens are not pictured in this photo.
Edit: I LOVE MY PRO 780!

Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back