Calibrating Meat Probe

renocylist

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Just purchased an Ironwood 650. For my first Tri-Tip tried to use the meat probe but the probe would only register 140 degrees and would basically stay there. Verifying with a regular thermometer, I could see the internal temp was 118 ultimately rising to 138-140 degrees. Using my handheld thermometer I was able to monitor the progress so all was good, but bummed that the meat probe did not work correctly.

I tried to calibrate the meat probe, being careful to follow the instructions, both from the manual as well as advice from YouTube. Submerged in an Ice bath, the coldest I could get the probe to read was 50 degree (after 1 min).

I called Traeger and the rep tried to tell me that this was correct. When I challenged her that my handheld thermometer registered the water at 32 degree, she tried to explain the Traeger thermometer worked differently and they shouldn't be compared. WTH ?

When you calibrate your meat probe, are you able to get the probe to register 32 degrees ?

Hi. What firmware are you running?

V01.01.01

Just picked a new/replacement probe from my dealer. Same result. Probe will only get to 49/50 degrees when in an ice bath.

I have the same grill and the same problem. Traeger sent me a new probe but it didn’t solve the issue. Now they are sending me a new controller.

I have the same grill and the same problem. Traeger sent me a new probe but it didn’t solve the issue. Now they are sending me a new controller.

This is the first time I've seen the Ironwood have that problem. Let us know if the new controller fixes it. How long did they say it would take before it arrives?

This is the first time I've seen the Ironwood have that problem. Let us know if the new controller fixes it. How long did they say it would take before it arrives?
Probably a week. 2-3 days to process order and 3-4 days to ship. Yesterday they said I was on the old firmware so I let it try to update all night. Today I called and they said I'm on the current firmware (even though there was no update). Apparently v01.01.01 is current for this model. I've had 4 conversations with customer service and they seem to have different answers each time. I'm worried that the new controller won't solve the issue. Stay tuned!

Mine is having the same issue! Brand new ironwood 885 built by the re-seller, Almost ate some raw chicken yesterday. So I tried to calibrate the probe. First attempt ice water was in the 70's, second attempt (after googling a proper ice bath), 54 degrees in pure ice, little water.

For whatever reason, I can only get it into the 50's. Keep me posted if the controller fixes it, I'll call and request the same.

For now ill use my inkbird bluetooth remote, it served me well on my previous Pro 22.

Guys,
I had the same problem....
I did the ice bath calibration and it took me 7 times to get it to calibrate properly.
I do not totally trust the probe, I just use it as a guide.
I bought a ThermaPen Mk4!
I use the ThermaPen to compare, and since my calibration the probe is now much closer.

Update. Just installed new D2 controller (firmware v01.01.01). Was able to calibrate probe to 34degrees. Close enough. Adjusted with probe offset. Trying with a Tri-tip tonight but so far so good. Thanks Traeger.

Similar to renocyclist, I too received my new controller. Did the calibration and it was spot on at 35 degrees. My Thermapen Mk4 read 34 degrees, so I'm a happy Traeger Ironwood 885 owner once again. They must have had a batch of bad controllers installed in some units.

FYI, the controller is easy to install. Just unplug each connector one at a time and plug it into the new controller so you know where they go. Also, the current firmware for the 885 is v01.01.01. Different models have different firmware, so don't let Traeger customer service tell you otherwise, as they did to me in one of my calls. Some of their agents are excellent, while some seem as if it is their first day and don't really know what they're doing.

An ice bath for calibration purposed should be cracked ice packed into a container with just enough water to make it fluid. Then stir like crazy. Try it a few times and you'll get the feel. Follow the above directions and depending on the stir you'll get a surprising temp swing. Stop stirring and it drifts up. Any decent quick response thermometer should get you close to 32 deg. (+ - 2 degF) I just ordered a new Mk4 thermapen because it's nice to have a thermometer that's consistent and accurate. I was going to buy a thermapop but what the heck it's only money o_O. My current digitals are older than some members here
So far as the Traeger calibration routine you're stuck with the ice bath. Plug an electric kettle in and immerse the tip of the probe when it hits a rolling boil. That way you'll get a true span and piece of mind that the probe is indeed accurate at the temps you can actually use. 32 deg F is useless but 212 deg F is closer to the actual temp you want to measure.

Last edited:
Similar to renocyclist, I too received my new controller. Did the calibration and it was spot on at 35 degrees. My Thermapen Mk4 read 34 degrees, so I'm a happy Traeger Ironwood 885 owner once again. They must have had a batch of bad controllers installed in some units.

FYI, the controller is easy to install. Just unplug each connector one at a time and plug it into the new controller so you know where they go. Also, the current firmware for the 885 is v01.01.01. Different models have different firmware, so don't let Traeger customer service tell you otherwise, as they did to me in one of my calls. Some of their agents are excellent, while some seem as if it is their first day and don't really know what they're doing.
It's the nature of the beast, new logic controllers are usually rushed to market before they're ready. Thy'll eventually get it right, what bothers me is the outright fibs. I'm adult enough tp acfept that they have to get it right and it may take a few tries. So long as they try, I'm OK. Every fool has an imagination and the answers I'm getting are covering a very broad spectrum, you don't lie to a loyal customer. Traeger users are loyal to a fault and pretty savvy as well.

Looks like I now have a failed probe, am getting Probe ERR message. Tried calibrating that didn't help, I was getting a read of 2F for a while on room temperature meat, then back to the Probe ERR message. Will be calling Traeger again on Tuesday.

I have been having the same issue. I called support and they are sending me new probe.

I have been having the same issue. I called support and they are sending me new probe.

Someone else had suggested that moisture may have screwed it up and that drying it might resolve, but no such luck for me. Calling them to see if they will send me a replacement.

Update; just called and after 3 mins on hold their phone system tells me I need a long distance code to dial that number... I assume they have overflow dialing to another location and screwed it up. Unreal.

Latest Discussions

Back