Calibrating Meat Probe

renocylist

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Just purchased an Ironwood 650. For my first Tri-Tip tried to use the meat probe but the probe would only register 140 degrees and would basically stay there. Verifying with a regular thermometer, I could see the internal temp was 118 ultimately rising to 138-140 degrees. Using my handheld thermometer I was able to monitor the progress so all was good, but bummed that the meat probe did not work correctly.

I tried to calibrate the meat probe, being careful to follow the instructions, both from the manual as well as advice from YouTube. Submerged in an Ice bath, the coldest I could get the probe to read was 50 degree (after 1 min).

I called Traeger and the rep tried to tell me that this was correct. When I challenged her that my handheld thermometer registered the water at 32 degree, she tried to explain the Traeger thermometer worked differently and they shouldn't be compared. WTH ?

When you calibrate your meat probe, are you able to get the probe to register 32 degrees ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renocylist

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
V01.01.01

Just picked a new/replacement probe from my dealer. Same result. Probe will only get to 49/50 degrees when in an ice bath.

Daverthal

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
I have the same grill and the same problem. Traeger sent me a new probe but it didn’t solve the issue. Now they are sending me a new controller.

primeone

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I have the same grill and the same problem. Traeger sent me a new probe but it didn’t solve the issue. Now they are sending me a new controller.
This is the first time I've seen the Ironwood have that problem. Let us know if the new controller fixes it. How long did they say it would take before it arrives?

Daverthal

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
This is the first time I've seen the Ironwood have that problem. Let us know if the new controller fixes it. How long did they say it would take before it arrives?
Probably a week. 2-3 days to process order and 3-4 days to ship. Yesterday they said I was on the old firmware so I let it try to update all night. Today I called and they said I'm on the current firmware (even though there was no update). Apparently v01.01.01 is current for this model. I've had 4 conversations with customer service and they seem to have different answers each time. I'm worried that the new controller won't solve the issue. Stay tuned!

BarricadeGT

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Mine is having the same issue! Brand new ironwood 885 built by the re-seller, Almost ate some raw chicken yesterday. So I tried to calibrate the probe. First attempt ice water was in the 70's, second attempt (after googling a proper ice bath), 54 degrees in pure ice, little water.

For whatever reason, I can only get it into the 50's. Keep me posted if the controller fixes it, I'll call and request the same.

For now ill use my inkbird bluetooth remote, it served me well on my previous Pro 22.

Buck98

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Guys,
I had the same problem....
I did the ice bath calibration and it took me 7 times to get it to calibrate properly.
I do not totally trust the probe, I just use it as a guide.
I bought a ThermaPen Mk4!
I use the ThermaPen to compare, and since my calibration the probe is now much closer.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

renocylist

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Update. Just installed new D2 controller (firmware v01.01.01). Was able to calibrate probe to 34degrees. Close enough. Adjusted with probe offset. Trying with a Tri-tip tonight but so far so good. Thanks Traeger.

Daverthal

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885
Similar to renocyclist, I too received my new controller. Did the calibration and it was spot on at 35 degrees. My Thermapen Mk4 read 34 degrees, so I'm a happy Traeger Ironwood 885 owner once again. They must have had a batch of bad controllers installed in some units.

FYI, the controller is easy to install. Just unplug each connector one at a time and plug it into the new controller so you know where they go. Also, the current firmware for the 885 is v01.01.01. Different models have different firmware, so don't let Traeger customer service tell you otherwise, as they did to me in one of my calls. Some of their agents are excellent, while some seem as if it is their first day and don't really know what they're doing.

Beaser

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
An ice bath for calibration purposed should be cracked ice packed into a container with just enough water to make it fluid. Then stir like crazy. Try it a few times and you'll get the feel. Follow the above directions and depending on the stir you'll get a surprising temp swing. Stop stirring and it drifts up. Any decent quick response thermometer should get you close to 32 deg. (+ - 2 degF) I just ordered a new Mk4 thermapen because it's nice to have a thermometer that's consistent and accurate. I was going to buy a thermapop but what the heck it's only money o_O. My current digitals are older than some members here
So far as the Traeger calibration routine you're stuck with the ice bath. Plug an electric kettle in and immerse the tip of the probe when it hits a rolling boil. That way you'll get a true span and piece of mind that the probe is indeed accurate at the temps you can actually use. 32 deg F is useless but 212 deg F is closer to the actual temp you want to measure.

Last edited:

Beaser

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Similar to renocyclist, I too received my new controller. Did the calibration and it was spot on at 35 degrees. My Thermapen Mk4 read 34 degrees, so I'm a happy Traeger Ironwood 885 owner once again. They must have had a batch of bad controllers installed in some units.

FYI, the controller is easy to install. Just unplug each connector one at a time and plug it into the new controller so you know where they go. Also, the current firmware for the 885 is v01.01.01. Different models have different firmware, so don't let Traeger customer service tell you otherwise, as they did to me in one of my calls. Some of their agents are excellent, while some seem as if it is their first day and don't really know what they're doing.
It's the nature of the beast, new logic controllers are usually rushed to market before they're ready. Thy'll eventually get it right, what bothers me is the outright fibs. I'm adult enough tp acfept that they have to get it right and it may take a few tries. So long as they try, I'm OK. Every fool has an imagination and the answers I'm getting are covering a very broad spectrum, you don't lie to a loyal customer. Traeger users are loyal to a fault and pretty savvy as well.

pkitch

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Looks like I now have a failed probe, am getting Probe ERR message. Tried calibrating that didn't help, I was getting a read of 2F for a while on room temperature meat, then back to the Probe ERR message. Will be calling Traeger again on Tuesday.

r0graham

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I have been having the same issue. I called support and they are sending me new probe.

pkitch

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I have been having the same issue. I called support and they are sending me new probe.
Someone else had suggested that moisture may have screwed it up and that drying it might resolve, but no such luck for me. Calling them to see if they will send me a replacement.

Update; just called and after 3 mins on hold their phone system tells me I need a long distance code to dial that number... I assume they have overflow dialing to another location and screwed it up. Unreal.

pkitch

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
Someone else had suggested that moisture may have screwed it up and that drying it might resolve, but no such luck for me. Calling them to see if they will send me a replacement.

Update; just called and after 3 mins on hold their phone system tells me I need a long distance code to dial that number... I assume they have overflow dialing to another location and screwed it up. Unreal.
Update: I tried a re-calibration again having given a couple more days to dry-out (It was out in the rain) and it does now appear to be working OK!

Beaser

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
I keep all of my probes in a zip lock baggy with about a cup of white rice. (weber and traeger) . Haven't had a probe issue in the past year.

Mike & Sherry Fultz

Reaction score
Grill
Century 34
WOW! This is concerning to say the least. I just purchased a Century 34 from Costco and have only used it once. I have been wanting a Traeger grill for years and to read all of this is alarming. Displays are wrong! Meat Probe is wrong! Pellets wont funnel correctly! I am wondering if they are just a piece of crap and have a great marketing team. I have been using an Extra Large Big Green Egg for years and absolutely love it. Its just a lot more work and needs more attention. This is why I wanted to buy a Traeger. I also just noticed that my Century does NOT have a P timer adjustment for ambient temperature adjustments or temperature adjustments. I guess time will tell but after reading all of the forum posts about temperature control it may just be a garage emblem.

Beaser

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 650
The beauty of buying from Costco is the liberal return policy, that said what issues are you having? Most of the major issues being discussed are with the new D2 Wifi controller. I've heard nothing but good reviews about your unit.

So far as the probes are concerned, the Traegers and most of the competition are type K thermocouples in a steel 90 degree capsule. The Traeger probes are no better or worse than others (type K) My Weber bluetooth probe set is the same type K with a slightly larger jack. My Omega HH-22 is a 2 channel type j or K thermocouple with a few test features it can read pretty much any type j or k thermocouple. l used to make up my own probes with type K wire and before I started a test (I was a troubleshooter for large refrigeration systems manufacturer I'd always check accuracy using ice bath or boiling water).

What we're doing with smokers and pellet grills requires more monitoring than a home kitchen oven. With the cost of product and time spent it's always a good idea to be able to count on your tools. Thermocouples and other probe technologies are head and shoulders above cheap bimetal oven thermometers. Do what I do, I wipe the probe and wire. Coil; them and put em in a zip lock with a cup of uncooked white rice. It dries up any water in the capsule. Consider that the probe tip is in the meat at a temp considerable lower than the grill inside cooking temp (steak 37-150 degF, grill temp 225-450 deg). Migration happens, vapour from the hot end of the capsule will condense in the cooler part of the capsule in the meat.

What is wrong with your display? If it isn't right order a new one, you have 3 years of liberal parts replacement. The RTD's on those models is very accurate.

You mention pellet feed, what are your issues. There are enough people here that live and breath BBQ, someone will have an answer

So far as a P setting, that's very over rated. I live in Canada and it was a help in the fall and winter but in South Carolina it shouldn't be necessary. I had it and I played with it. It's the nature of the beast, I'm a nerd (techie)

I apologise for being so anal about probe accuracy. In my job as a Refrigeration Manufacturers Field Rep I had to go nose to nose with a few health departments about product and supply air temps. It usually wound up that I'd prove their equipment was inaccurate. I also felt it was my job to help the customer and their contractors get the most out of their equipment. That's why I have such disdain for $3.99 bimetal thermometers.

Last edited: