BRISKET TASTE LIKE A ROAST

Xrjonser

Reaction score
Grill
Eastwood 22inch
I have a pro 22 series
I have gad it for 5 months i did my first Brisket I followed a recipie on treagor website pretty much to a tee
When done it tasted like a pot roast it did not have that brisket flavor at all.
I was very disappointed specially spending 54 dollars. I could have gotten the same results with a 15 dollar roast in a crockpot?

I used treagors coffee rub. Let it set over nite
Smoked it for 6 hrs at 225. I used the gormet blend pellets
After 6 hours I did not wrap it in foil I put it in a tin pan and placed foil over the top. And let it cook till temp at 204. Took it out and let it set for an hour.

I have not had very good luck using Traeger pellets. They are super mild and those pellets in particular are mostly wood filler and flavoring oils and are going to be very mild. I would try experimenting with some real wood pellets like lumberjack, bbq delight, or cooking pellets. Also, I feel like, and this is just an opinion, anytime you wrap you are basically putting it in a crockpot. I don’t wrap my meats at all and if I absolutely must use butcher paper that breaths and still lets smoke in.

Just a thought, by looking at your picture...
It looks like you may have removed to much fat. There should be about a 1/4” layer of fat on the backside.

It was about 10 hrs all together. But I still think I cooked it to fast.

When done it tasted like a pot roast it did not have that brisket flavor at all.
I was very disappointed specially spending 54 dollars. I could have gotten the same results with a 15 dollar roast in a crockpot?
Essentially you did pot roast the brisket by cooking it in the aluminum pan with liquid and covering it. I agree with Buck98 and B4tn , for a brisket you need a more aggressive flavour (spice and pellet choice) and you need some fat. I'm no expert on cooking them on a smoker but I sure enjoy eating them and Pot Roast too.

Don't sell yourself short, a crockpot wouldn't give you the flavour you got from your creative efforts.

A little background on the popular grill cuisine, brisket, ribs, chicken wings (and others). These were the cuts that no one wanted so they were cheap but "po" folks came up with ways to make them tasty, so the price went up and now the less fortunates can't even afford a sniff. Every culture out there has their own version of spectacular food from lesser cuts. I haven't figured out how to smoke steak and kidney pud yet o_O. I would't pay the price for a brisket, rather spend it on a rib eye or beef tenderloin. I looked at the price for brisket in Costco last week, ouch!

You are absolutely correct. Learn from mistakes right?
I will do another one but not any time soon
Yes it was good. We did eat it but yes quite spendy for a Roast!

I have a pro 22 series
I have gad it for 5 months i did my first Brisket I followed a recipie on treagor website pretty much to a tee

As others have said, I would recommend trying different pellets and wrapping with butcher paper. I still have yet to achieve the results I want, but I feel like I'm getting closer every cook.

I myself have had the same issue with Traeger recipes. I like to use a very simple recipe from Franklin. Works awesome taste great and I use oak pellets.

Good luck.

I do mine at 12 hours wrap it at six with butcher paper as shown! Awesome!

What other seasonings did you use with your coffee rub? I find that salt, plenty of pepper and garlic powder give it a great flavor. I almost always use the hickory pellets. I have tried the gourmet blend is a bit mild. Also try using a smoke tube is a good addition.

I used nothing else. Just the coffee rub. And pepper.
I will try again. And use hickory pellets

Latest Discussions

Back