Brisket questions

76mako23

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
Hey everyone. Did a brisket today and it was an improvement but not where I want it. This time around I used Matt Pitmans 275 degree method.

Using the Treager meat probe it register 175 around the middle of the flat pretty fast ( 4 or 5 hours in) when I moved the probe to another spot on the flat it registered closer to 160 so I let it go till I got more consistent readings of 165 in the flat.

I then wrapped in butcher paper and let it go till most areas read 203-205 and felt tender. I pulled it off kept it wrapped and let it rest in the cooler with a towel under and over it for 3 hours.

When I sliced it (against the grain) it looked good and was juicy but I could tell parts felt dry. I cooked fat up so the rendering fat was running all over but the meat itself kinda seemed dry if that makes sense. As soon as we ate the rest kinda dried out too. Not sure where I messed up but any pointers would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

853A2441-7A02-42A8-BDF5-FF6EEA169CD6.jpeg

Attachments

• 07FB31AB-7B39-4247-9396-A59EE1CD7E3D.jpeg
    07FB31AB-7B39-4247-9396-A59EE1CD7E3D.jpeg
    428.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 46BBE5DD-F76D-40A3-A301-B204D6D9CC70.jpeg
    46BBE5DD-F76D-40A3-A301-B204D6D9CC70.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 23
My method is to smoke at 175 for 3 hours, then bump it to 225. When internal temp reaches 170, I wrap in butcher paper till it reaches 200 internal.

This is with a large foil pan with a gallon of water in it in the beginning. The water evaporates, but then the foil pan catches the drippings.

The end result is a fork tender, juicy brisket. The very lean parts (depending on how you trimmed your brisket) will not be as juicy as the thicker, fatter part of the brisket. This is normal.

My method is to smoke at 175 for 3 hours, then bump it to 225. When internal temp reaches 170, I wrap in butcher paper till it reaches 200 internal.

This is with a large foil pan with a gallon of water in it in the beginning. The water evaporates, but then the foil pan catches the drippings.

The end result is a fork tender, juicy brisket. The very lean parts (depending on how you trimmed your brisket) will not be as juicy as the thicker, fatter part of the brisket. This is normal.
Thank you! About how long does this method take? Where do you put the foil pan? There isn’t any clearance between my grate and the slanted drip pan. Thank you.

If you don't have a second shelf, you may have space for a loaf pan like this filled with water on one side. I'd put it on the hot side of the Traeger.

1609423139125.png

My briskets take about 15 hours. Here's how I do it. Does your Traeger have a second shelf in it?

View attachment 3675
I may try this tonight, Grillmeister. Should make cleanup easier?
Doing my second brisket ever and a little nervous. Thinking about starting at about 1 am, 190F until about 17FF or so, wrap and then raise temp to ~250F until 200F. Guests coming over tomorrow at 6pm. My brisket is on the larger side, about 18 pounds. I bought a larger one because Mad Scientist said choose one that has a thicker flat near the end, to prevent the flat from drying out.

Trying to process all of this info :)

If you have folks coming over I would look at Matt Pitmans weekday Brisket method. It should get done early then it will keep warm and rest up to 4 hrs... that way all works out and no crisis...

Doing my second brisket ever and a little nervous. Thinking about starting at about 1 am, 190F until about 17FF or so, wrap and then raise temp to ~250F until 200F. Guests coming over tomorrow at 6pm. My brisket is on the larger side, about 18 pounds. I bought a larger one because Mad Scientist said choose one that has a thicker flat near the end, to prevent the flat from drying out.

I know what you mean. I watch video after video. My wife LOVES brisket and she LOVES it if good fat and bark. I’ve done 3 so far. 2 on the BGE and one on the Treager. Steady improvement each time but something is missing.

That one's great. Also watched Matt Pittman's streamed video (a little over an hour long) that was also good.

My brisket yesterday came out better than my first one, but the flat was still a little dry after pulling it off at 205 and resting for 2 hours. I may try buying just the flat and seeing if it can get it more tender.

That one's great. Also watched Matt Pittman's streamed video (a little over an hour long) that was also good.

My brisket yesterday came out better than my first one, but the flat was still a little dry after pulling it off at 205 and resting for 2 hours. I may try buying just the flat and seeing if it can get it more tender.
inject it if you want it more moist. I've found unless you're really paying for a very well marbled brisket, injecting really helps!

I buy cheap foil pans from the dollar store and they fit well between the bottom grate and heat deflector/drip pan! however, the Ironwood 885 has 2 different lower grate positions so it allows a bit more room below the grate....

inject it if you want it more moist. I've found unless you're really paying for a very well marbled brisket, injecting really helps!

I buy cheap foil pans from the dollar store and they fit well between the bottom grate and heat deflector/drip pan! however, the Ironwood 885 has 2 different lower grate positions so it allows a bit more room below the grate....
Thanks jp. The brisket I purchased was a prime from Costco. I've considered injecting, but haven't seen it done in any of the videos, so I thought it was "optional".

How are using the drip pans? To catch juice, or filled with water as a moisture source?

Thanks jp. The brisket I purchased was a prime from Costco. I've considered injecting, but haven't seen it done in any of the videos, so I thought it was "optional".

How are using the drip pans? To catch juice, or filled with water as a moisture source?
I tried it as a water pan, didn't make much of a difference from what I can tell. Moving forward I would treat it like a foil liner if I ran out of foil lol. Foil pan would be better used for burnt ends or pork shoulders for a complete covering.

Latest Discussions

Back