Beef Brisket Grades & Prices

Parrothead1809

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780
I'm gearing up for a brisket smoke next weekend. Just the immediate family of 4, but the (adult) kids will take (and we can always freeze) left overs. I really wanted a full packer, and not just the flat. So I was aiming for a 10-pounder, plus or minus.

Our local butcher who always has great stuff, but is pricey quoted me $15.89/lb ! He touts only PRIME and poo-poos Waygu (probably because he doesn't carry it) so he was ruled out quickly. I'm not dropping close to $160 for a 10# brisket. No way.

Local groceries want ~$9.99/lb, and only have choice cuts (which I'm not at all against). However they mostly showed flats only. I did find one packer that was 9#, but I didn't really like the looks of it, so I passed.

Then I walk into CostCo. fearing they would only have huge ones. Most were well over 15#; they even had a 22# beast! I picked through and found one just under 12#. It's labeled as "Prime" and is only $3.99/lb ?!?! First I thought they just slapped the "Prime" sticker on it, but the cryovac is imprinted with "Prime" as well. Are there different grades of "Prime" or is "Prime" consistent no matter where you buy it? I have to imagine CostCo sells a boat load of these and it looked good. It is a little bigger then what I wanted, but once I trim it down, I should end up with more of what I was looking for, so I went for it. Pictures below.

Now I just have to figure out cooking time... I want it done for dinner (7:00 PM) on Friday, so I'm thinking about putting on the Traeger at 11:00PM Thursday night. I hate playing beat-the-clock when smoking and not having the cook done when everyone is ready to eat. I've been getting good results cooking at 225°F, so if I trim it down to 11#, ball-parking 1:15/lb, It should be done and ready to rest sometime after 1:00 PM. Question: I've been itching to try burnt ends, so could I rest the entire thing, and then pull the point out around 4:00 or 5:00 for the burnt-end process (cube, sauce & return to smoker). If so, what temp? Back at 225° or 250°? I guess if I'm covering the burnt ends, I could also just pop them into the oven.

Thanks for any input or feedback on my shopping trip!
-PH

Attachments

• IMG_1487.jpeg
    IMG_1487.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1488.jpeg
    IMG_1488.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1489.jpeg
    IMG_1489.jpeg
    264.5 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1490.jpeg
    IMG_1490.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 27
looks like you did good finding one, yes it will be about the size you want once you trim it.
Overnight hours are usually low temp, 200ish, then when you get up take it to where ever you want. Once wrap then go to 250ish.
I personally don't make "ends" out of point meat, I make them out of the skinniest part of the flat that is usually over cooked once the point/flat area is up to temp. But that's just me.
I like serving my brisket with a whole slice of point/flat together and that fat layer in every bite!!
again, just my way.
Sounds like your timing is about right but even if you only rest for 1 hour it's not a "smoker sin".

So if I trim this down between 10.5 - 11.0 pounds, do you think I could get 'er done in 12-13 hours? I'm thinking overnight maybe too long a cook for this. Although as I said, I hate playing beat-the-clock, do don't want this to dry out if it gets done too early. My plan is to start at 225, raise it to 250 once wrapped, pull it off in the 195-203 range. And let the flat rest while I do my burnt ends. If I started at 6:00AM, could I serve it at 7:00 PM? Any advice welcome.
Thanks,
-PH

don't want this to dry out if it gets done too early.
I "overnighted" a 5lb brisket before, and I had to have it ready for 5pm supper at the hunting cabin 90 minutes from me.... it was resting for 4 hours and still made the cutting board soaking wet with juices when I cut it up.

HOWEVER, the only way to learn is to go with YOUR gut on this one.

If I started at 6:00AM, could I serve it at 7:00 PM? Any advice welcome.
The answer is SURE. There are a whole group of guys I know who do "hot n fast" briskets and swear they will never go back.

Here's my "hot-n-fast" brisket I did in 6.5 hours and I didn't regret it.

The pics can show you I still got a ton of juice from this monster

My last brisket was 106 bucks for not quite 14 lbs. Not sure what grade it was but it was delicious.

Last brisket I did I started in the morning. Nine hours overall cook with an hour rest. Was easily ready in time for dinner.

So if I trim this down between 10.5 - 11.0 pounds, do you think I could get 'er done in 12-13 hours? I'm thinking overnight maybe too long a cook for this. Although as I said, I hate playing beat-the-clock, do don't want this to dry out if it gets done too early. My plan is to start at 225, raise it to 250 once wrapped, pull it off in the 195-203 range. And let the flat rest while I do my burnt ends. If I started at 6:00AM, could I serve it at 7:00 PM? Any advice welcome.
Thanks,
-PH
Keep in mind that if you wrap it in a towel (I use an old blanket) and throw it in a cooler, it will stay hot for several hours. Last time I had one finish earlier than expected and it sat in the cooler for 4.5 hours. Still hot when I sliced it up.

Personally, I'd rather it sit longer than NOT have it done in time for dinner.

Keep in mind that if you wrap it in a towel (I use an old blanket) and throw it in a cooler, it will stay hot for several hours. Last time I had one finish earlier than expected and it sat in the cooler for 4.5 hours. Still hot when I sliced it up.

Personally, I'd rather it sit longer than NOT have it done in time for dinner.
Agreed. So now I'm thinking about starting it at 200°F at 11:00PM. I was going to start it at 225°, so this will be a slower & longer cook. I'll bump the temp to 250° when I wrap it when the IT hits about 165°.
-PH

I've done most of mine overnight. I start them around 11 PM at around 190. By the time I get up in the morning they are close to 150. I wrap them and crank up the tempt to around 250. They usually finish up around 3:00 and go into the cooler until it's time to eat. This way I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn and I've never had one go long causing dinner to be late.

I made the brisket last weekend and it turned out good. I gave it a slather of 'Cue Glue (https://www.savoryspiceshop.com/products/cue-glue) along with a healthy dose of Holy Cow and Holy Gospel. I thought it was a bit too peppery but the family liked it. Although it wasn't dry, it wasn't dripping with juice like the various YouTubes. Not sure if I over trimmed it, or it was just the meat. It did have a great smoke ring. Anyway, my Basic cook strategy was:
  • 5:00 PM Thursday - trimmed brisket per Matt so I could remove the point from the flat later on - Slather & Rubbed
  • 11:00 PM Thursday: On the Traeger @ 180° for an over night cook
  • 8:00 AM Friday: Traeger reads IT @ 157°; Thermapen closer to the 140s. Sprayed with beef broth & bumped Traeger temp to 200°
  • 9:35 Traeger reads IT 165°; Thermapen reads 150°. Sprayed it with beef broth and left alone
  • 10:54 Thermapen reads 153°; Sprayed & bumping Traeger to 225°. I abandoned the Traeger probe at this point.
  • Noon: IT hit 160. Wrapped in paper w/beef broth. Bumped temp up to 250°
  • 3:15 PM IT reads between 195-203 depending on probe point. Plenty of juice. Wrapped and place in cooler.
  • 5:00 PM took it from the cooler (still very hot) and cut off the point (very easy since I trimmed it with this in mind). Cubed the point, gave them a hit of sauce and put the burnt ends in the smoker at 250°. The flat went back into the cooler.
  • 6:30 sliced the flat, pulled the burnt ends & served !
Pictures below of rubbed, one of the mid day checks, coming off, sliced flat & burnt ends.

Thanks to the community for all your help !!
-PH

Attachments

• IMG_1501.jpeg
    IMG_1501.jpeg
    417.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1503.jpeg
    IMG_1503.jpeg
    412.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1505.jpeg
    IMG_1505.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1508.jpeg