Brisket Flat Help!

Brandenja

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Pro 575
Family!

I need some guidance. My dad’s bday is this weekend and I have a new Traeger pro 575 and I need to pull this off for the big day tomorrow. He wants Brisket. This will be my 2nd brisket. The first was not quite right.

Today, I grabbed a 4.8 lb USDA Choice Brisket flat from Costco.
I trimmed it to the best of my ability and I seasoned it with salt and paper and wrapped in plastic and stuck it in the fridge.
My first brisket was tough and I don’t want to run into that issue again. I’m thinking I should:
1. Put this brisket on at 3AM at 180 for 4 hours.
Should I do Fat side up or down?

2. Last time, I double wrapped it with foil and set to 225 with internal temp goal of 204. It took 10 additional hours with me spraying it with mop sauce every hour (total cook time: 14 hours).

I put it in a styrofoam cooler overnight. Flavor was great but meat was tough.

What should I be mindful of or change this time?

Thanks!

Branden

My opinion, I just did 3 small briskets recently, none took that long and none were foil wrapped or put in a cooler.
Do whatever temp you want (I do 220ish) till you get a good dark bark (165-175 IT) wrap in Peach paper, not foil, bump temp up to 240 till 203 IT. Let it rest in your grill during the "shutdown" and maybe 20 minutes after that, slice and serve.

Yours is only 1lb bigger then mine was... only took 7 hrs

Thanks for the advice. I followed your instructions. I let it rest in the grill and it worked like a charm. It was tender and delicious. My bark was not as crunchy so next time I might have to make some additional adjustments. But my father had an awesome birthday and the brisket was a winner.
D47208E6-4279-4A69-8E0B-A582C6AF9E04_1_105_c.jpeg

Latest Discussions

Back