Brand New Timberline 850 issues - need some feedback thank you

okay there is a known issue(s) with the IW's and the TL's paint issues are just a start. The problem is when you get a replacement grill/smoker how can we/you/me be confident that it won't have some of the same issues... what is it that will actually fix the issues we are all having... continually replacing the damned Traeger is not going to automatically fix any of the manufacturing flaws.. just my humble opinion

okay there is a known issue(s) with the IW's and the TL's paint issues are just a start. The problem is when you get a replacement grill/smoker how can we/you/me be confident that it won't have some of the same issues... what is it that will actually fix the issues we are all having... continually replacing the damned Traeger is not going to automatically fix any of the manufacturing flaws.. just my humble opinion
Frankly, I think that the paint issue is more about a quality control issue, like poor prep on the painting than a design flaw. Once you have a good one you are probably all set moving forward.

Frankly, I think that the paint issue is more about a quality control issue, like poor prep on the painting than a design flaw. Once you have a good one you are probably all set moving forward.
Well that would be great let's hope my new TL850 has a good powder coating on it -- I am going to use the "magoo40" (thanks a lot 'magoo40') recommended method for seasoning my new TL850 see below ---- thanks a lot RemE

Before cooking the first batch of food in your new Traeger, you will need to season the grill. This simple, one-time initial firing process will ensure that you get the most out of your Traeger Wood Pellet Grill. We’re so excited that you’ve chosen to join Traeger Nation.
Step 1 Plug in grill to an electrical outlet and turn on
Step 2 -Prime your auger tube with pellets
Step 3 -Add hardwood pellets to hopper
Step 4 -Turn the main power switch on
Step 5 -Turn dial to "Select Auger" then choose "Prime Auger"
Step 6 -Once pellets begin to fall into firepot, select "Done" to turn off auger
Step 7Turn selection dial clockwise to 225°F (107°C) and press the dial
Step 8Press ignite, close the lid, and when the temperature reaches 225°F, run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.
Start Gill again
Step 9 Turn selection dial clockwise to 340°F (170°C) and press the dial run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.
Start Gill again
Step 10 Turn selection dial clockwise to 450°F (230°C) and press the dial run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.

Well that would be great let's hope my new TL850 has a good powder coating on it -- I am going to use the "magoo40" (thanks a lot 'magoo40') recommended method for seasoning my new TL850 see below ---- thanks a lot RemE

Before cooking the first batch of food in your new Traeger, you will need to season the grill. This simple, one-time initial firing process will ensure that you get the most out of your Traeger Wood Pellet Grill. We’re so excited that you’ve chosen to join Traeger Nation.
Step 1 Plug in grill to an electrical outlet and turn on
Step 2 -Prime your auger tube with pellets
Step 3 -Add hardwood pellets to hopper
Step 4 -Turn the main power switch on
Step 5 -Turn dial to "Select Auger" then choose "Prime Auger"
Step 6 -Once pellets begin to fall into firepot, select "Done" to turn off auger
Step 7Turn selection dial clockwise to 225°F (107°C) and press the dial
Step 8Press ignite, close the lid, and when the temperature reaches 225°F, run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.
Start Gill again
Step 9 Turn selection dial clockwise to 340°F (170°C) and press the dial run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.
Start Gill again
Step 10 Turn selection dial clockwise to 450°F (230°C) and press the dial run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.
Okay magoo40 -- I was finally was able to get my buddy over last evening and now have the 2nd brand new TL850 assembled and now have the 1st cycle burn in or seasoning completed. The temp you recommend af 225 degrees for 20 minutes I used the 1st cycle - I noticed the temperature wanted to climb higher than the 225 I had it set at - see photos - I am now letting this new 850 cool down and will advance to step 2 in your recommended initial seasoning using 340 degrees at 20 minutes thanks for the burn in steps you have provided me I appreciate it - I'm hopeful that the 2nd new TL850 actually functions as it should but I am not holding my breath

Attachments

• Initial Burn In @ 225 per magoo40 IMG-9733.jpg
    Initial Burn In @ 225 per magoo40 IMG-9733.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 18
Okay magoo40 -- I was finally was able to get my buddy over last evening and now have the 2nd brand new TL850 assembled and now have the 1st cycle burn in or seasoning completed. The temp you recommend af 225 degrees for 20 minutes I used the 1st cycle - I noticed the temperature wanted to climb higher than the 225 I had it set at - see photos - I am now letting this new 850 cool down and will advance to step 2 in your recommended initial seasoning using 340 degrees at 20 minutes thanks for the burn in steps you have provided me I appreciate it - I'm hopeful that the 2nd new TL850 actually functions as it should but I am not holding my breath

Attachments

• Initial Burn In @ 225 per magoo40 IMG-9733.jpg
    Initial Burn In @ 225 per magoo40 IMG-9733.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 15
burning mine in as well! I’m having issues getting this 850 #2 to connect via the app. So I have to babysit it until I can call Traeger and have them help me trouble shoot it.

burning mine in as well! I’m having issues getting this 850 #2 to connect via the app. So I have to babysit it until I can call Traeger and have them help me trouble shoot it.

What Firmware version is running on WiFIRE Controller ... verifying that it has the necessary minimum version installed up front can save a lot of hassles in case it is running 2.00.00 or lower/older ...

running 2.00.01

That version of firmware should be connectable to your Home Wi-Fi, assuming the controller does not have corrupted firmware ... good luck in getting it connected - feel free to reach out if you run into anything that causes it not to work as expected ...

I'm doing the burn in now...going to power cycle it and reconnect

That version of firmware should be connectable to your Home Wi-Fi, assuming the controller does not have corrupted firmware ... good luck in getting it connected - feel free to reach out if you run into anything that causes it not to work as expected ...

I hope it works out for you, good luck(y)

Seasoned #2 no issues! #1 is starting to rust where the paint bubbled

Glad this one is better!
Just some thoughts on temperatures. Since these grills rely on computer controlled feeding of pellets into a fire while monitoring temperature, there are some common issues.

When igniting, the temps will usually overshoot your set temp and then settle back to the set temp as the computer gets the pellet feed rate dialed in to hold that set temp. This response lag is normal.

If you set the initial temp to a high value like 400+, it is very possible that the grill could overshoot to over 500 and shut down, ask me how I know :(

It's a good practice to set a lower temp, under 200F, let it stabilize, then go higher to avoid these temp spiking events.

Just my 2 cents

The blistering has happened to a few of us Ironwood owners too. Depending on how much time and effort you want to invest you may be able to get them to replace it. Some have managed to, others such as myself no. I don't have the time to extend to the process. My email reply was that the temperature exceeded 600 F. My grill has only been on 500 during the burn in.
I just accepted their admitting that the grill can exceed their high temperature and they were aware of the issue. If I have an issue with a fire I will supply their letter admitting the grill exceeded their maximum as accepting fault with any liability
DON’T GIVE UP!!!
Hmmm...I think my replacement grill shows up this week based on the FEDEX and UPS emails I received. I ordered some stuff from Traeger. I'm not sure if I should season it how Traeger recommends or how @magoo40 suggests.
A no brained. Follow Magoo’s instructions.

Latest Discussions

Back