Brand New Timberline 850 issues - need some feedback thank you

Well that would be great let's hope my new TL850 has a good powder coating on it -- I am going to use the "magoo40" (thanks a lot 'magoo40') recommended method for seasoning my new TL850 see below ---- thanks a lot RemE

Before cooking the first batch of food in your new Traeger, you will need to season the grill. This simple, one-time initial firing process will ensure that you get the most out of your Traeger Wood Pellet Grill. We’re so excited that you’ve chosen to join Traeger Nation.
Step 1 Plug in grill to an electrical outlet and turn on
Step 2 -Prime your auger tube with pellets
Step 3 -Add hardwood pellets to hopper
Step 4 -Turn the main power switch on
Step 5 -Turn dial to "Select Auger" then choose "Prime Auger"
Step 6 -Once pellets begin to fall into firepot, select "Done" to turn off auger
Step 7Turn selection dial clockwise to 225°F (107°C) and press the dial
Step 8Press ignite, close the lid, and when the temperature reaches 225°F, run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.
Start Gill again
Step 9 Turn selection dial clockwise to 340°F (170°C) and press the dial run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.
Start Gill again
Step 10 Turn selection dial clockwise to 450°F (230°C) and press the dial run for 20 minutes then Shutdown grill and let cool.

How did you go did the revised seasoning process work?

From these recent issues, I would avoid taking any new grill above 400F until after several cycles. Really let the paint cure and settle for a while.

From these recent issues, I would avoid taking any new grill above 400F until after several cycles. Really let the paint cure and settle for a while.

... agreed ... and most definitely wipe out the excess oils prior to doing the initial burn-in/seasoning ... but that would require reading this beforehand ... Another "topic" that Traeger really needs to address with regards to QA/QC ...

How did you go did the revised seasoning process work?
Hi magoo40 - sorry I am not on line often playing catch up - I had no issues magoo40 no external paint issues whatsoever that I could see and have used this TL850 several times -- the knock is the degrease system is lousy - another hurdle to overcome any ideas - the drip pan itself seems to be less sturdy than the IW650 drip pan - I am using the aluminum liners but just laying them flat and contouring them as best I can to the main drip pan to try to get some grease flow out of them to the drip drain in the front of the barrel... ouch this is a hot mess as it can cause grease flare ups and fires ... i spent a pretty penny for this thing .. ugh my brother has gone to a Masterbuilt charcoal gravity fed smoker... hell he was the one who kept after me to buy Traeger... damn the luck - Shawn near KC

Frankly, I think that the paint issue is more about a quality control issue, like poor prep on the painting than a design flaw. Once you have a good one you are probably all set moving forward.
I had issues putting the front stainless steel shelf unit onto the barrel and hopper - - the screws would not tighten all the way into the barrel or the hopper, they would go about half way at best... I could not believe this - they went in about half way and bottomed out.. I had to go the the Ace Hardware store and get shorter screws and they did not bottom out either.. so i used washers over the threaded part of the screws to space the screws out far enough to be able to tighten them down --- oh wth its made in China and they are made in China --- very poor craftsmanship for the price Traeger has to know about it there can be little doubt

I had issues putting the front stainless steel shelf unit onto the barrel and hopper - - the screws would not tighten all the way into the barrel or the hopper, they would go about half way at best... I could not believe this - they went in about half way and bottomed out.. I had to go the the Ace Hardware store and get shorter screws and they did not bottom out either.. so i used washers over the threaded part of the screws to space the screws out far enough to be able to tighten them down --- oh wth its made in China and they are made in China --- very poor craftsmanship for the price Traeger has to know about it there can be little doubt
Those are threaded inserts and yours sound perhaps clogged with paint etc. They are 1/4-20 thread so I would just get a 1/4-20 tap and "chase" the threads to clean them up, just happens sometimes.

Hi magoo40 - sorry I am not on line often playing catch up - I had no issues magoo40 no external paint issues whatsoever that I could see and have used this TL850 several times

Well I'm glad to hear your paint issue has gone, there is lots of comments about the drip tray on the forum, doesn't sound like there is any easy fix.

Well I'm glad to hear your paint issue has gone, there is lots of comments about the drip tray on the forum, doesn't sound like there is any easy fix.
I have a piece of rebar about 4 feet long and I am going to measure and cut to length for underneath distance of the brackets that hold the drip pan - this would raise the drip pan by what 3/8" in the back maybe a tilt forward will enhance the grease run off to the front drip trough - what do you think

The two "ears" at the back of the drip pan deflect some of the exhaust out the two rear ports. The center area is where the rest of the heat blows up inside the rear of the dome for the smoke convection swirl. So I think those ears need to touch the rear wall, tipping the pan may change the dynamics a bit. But probably not anything terrible. 3/8" would help speed up the draining.

I'm in the middle of adding insulation to my 850. I'm going to put it between the inner and outer shells. I've already cured the rear heat issue and the front grease trough issue. I'll be writing it all up soon.

Edit, to close the loop, here's my post on curing this issue plus insulating the entire Timberline;

Last edited:
I just got the Costco Silverton 810. The Traeger rep told me that the smoker skin was made in China. I was reluctant to buy it but hey, it came from Costco. I know what to do with it if it doesn’t perform to my expectations.

I just got the Costco Silverton 810. The Traeger rep told me that the smoker skin was made in China. I was reluctant to buy it but hey, it came from Costco. I know what to do with it if it doesn’t perform to my expectations.
Apparently all of the models are made in China currently.

So far my TL-1300 has not bubbled, however just a thought from someone that will probably have to deal with this issue.... What if when it has bubbled up, you take the affected area (as shown previously) take it down to bare metal and use a High Temp oven paint, something like
Rust-Oleum 241169 High Heat Ultra Enamel Spray, Black oven paint, this is rated to 1200F or
Rust-Oleum, Flat Black 248903 Automotive 12-Ounce High Heat 2000 Degree Spray Paint
(Amazon $6.98)
If the problem is only cosmetic then that has to be easier then all the other suggestions that I have seen...

So far my TL-1300 has not bubbled, however just a thought from someone that will probably have to deal with this issue.... What if when it has bubbled up, you take the affected area (as shown previously) take it down to bare metal and use a High Temp oven paint, something like
Rust-Oleum 241169 High Heat Ultra Enamel Spray, Black oven paint, this is rated to 1200F or
Rust-Oleum, Flat Black 248903 Automotive 12-Ounce High Heat 2000 Degree Spray Paint
(Amazon $6.98)
If the problem is only cosmetic then that has to be easier then all the other suggestions that I have seen...
Yes, that would work, others have done it. There is a nice semi-gloss high temp out there.

I bought mine in July 2020, I have none of the body and paint problems but my seal is coming apart at the same spot as TraegerTL850 but I stuck needle nose pliers in that clip and spread it apart further then snapped it back in and so far its holding.

I bought mine in July 2020, I have none of the body and paint problems but my seal is coming apart at the same spot as TraegerTL850 but I stuck needle nose pliers in that clip and spread it apart further then snapped it back in and so far its holding.
The key to insuring that the gasket clips lock is to insure that they are inserted deeply enough for the free end to expand and lock on the other side of the sheet metal hood.

7E1B997C-3991-4611-8197-3E9F01170CDD.jpeg

Latest Discussions

Back