Boneless Skinless Turkey Breast, pointers needed

RemE

⚒️ Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Timberline 850
My neighbor asked if I would cook them a turkey breast. They dropped off a butterball boneless skinless breast. Hmmm, I'm used to chicken parts, hot and fast, but this thing was a small roast.

I looked up what I could and ended up cooking at 275F to an IT of 164F then covered and rested for a while. About 3 hours to cook, used hickory.

I rubbed it with Holy Hog, and drizzled it with butter a few times, lastly I added a Honey, Dijon, Holy Cow glaze for the last 10min.

It looked good, super juicy, BUT, the "Bark" was tough, and not much smoke flavor.

Frankly I'd rather cook a turkey I think. Do any of you have some pointers on doing this better?
B0601D91-2BE6-4FB6-87EF-9368CB88C7B0.jpeg
4E435B30-B492-47FF-967C-02377CDB12BE.jpeg

I probably would have done what you did... Skinless, well these Traegers have a way of making a hard shell over almost everything they cook, I think that's what we count on to keep the moisture IN on most occasions.
MAYBE the tough outside would get juicier if wrapped tight in foil towards the end, but I'm speculating

You cannot get much leaner than Turkey Breast, so I would have cooked it at 325-350 degree still 160 internal and let it rest to reach 165 internal.

I never really smoke lean, fatless meats for very long. Maybe 30 minutes, then up to roasting temps.

Lean Meats = Hot & Fast
Fatty Meats = Low & Slow

That's how I roll. :)

You cannot get much leaner than Turkey Breast, so I would have cooked it at 325-350 degree

But a WHOLE turkey?? Meatchurch did theirs at 275° the whole cook... that's with skin on and that's fat. also basting with butter. That was gonna be my plan this year (don't know if I'll brine or not)

What you say about a skinless breast makes total sense, haven't done one in a Traeger yet... I've always done mine in sidebox smokers or drum, and probably NEVER held as low as 275°.

Traegers being like ovens is a learning process, regular smokers I would always let them float around... up to 350, down to 250, add wood, back up again... etc.

But a WHOLE turkey??

Well, that a whole different bird. :) Like you said, different approach.

SWMBO does the Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey each year in our oven and I stay out of the way. I do handle the brining though. 48 hours in an 8 gallon bucket. Man are they good!

At $5.99, you can't beat the price. Been using it for years. Good stuff.

1604415842795.png

We usually do a 23-25 lb. Turkey each time since we love the leftovers. This goes into the garage fridge for 48 hours before rinsing, spicing, stuffing, and roasting.

Turkey in Brine 23 lbs.jpeg

looked too good to pass up, bought mine!!!!

Smoked turkey is good, but deep fried turkey is still the best.

My neighbor asked if I would cook them a turkey breast. They dropped off a butterball boneless skinless breast. Hmmm, I'm used to chicken parts, hot and fast, but this thing was a small roast.

I looked up what I could and ended up cooking at 275F to an IT of 164F then covered and rested for a while. About 3 hours to cook, used hickory.

I rubbed it with Holy Hog, and drizzled it with butter a few times, lastly I added a Honey, Dijon, Holy Cow glaze for the last 10min.

It looked good, super juicy, BUT, the "Bark" was tough, and not much smoke flavor.

Frankly I'd rather cook a turkey I think. Do any of you have some pointers on doing this better?View attachment 3080View attachment 3081
I’ve always brined turkeys before smoking. The Traeger brine is great. Rub it down with a bit of the chicken rub. No skin seems to be the challenge

At $5.99, you can't beat the price. Been using it for years. Good stuff.

View attachment 3084

We usually do a 23-25 lb. Turkey each time since we love the leftovers. This goes into the garage fridge for 48 hours before rinsing, spicing, stuffing, and roasting.

View attachment 3085

Just got it for 4.99 curb side pick up... I will give it a try.

Last edited:
You cannot get much leaner than Turkey Breast, so I would have cooked it at 325-350 degree still 160 internal and let it rest to reach 165 internal.

I never really smoke lean, fatless meats for very long. Maybe 30 minutes, then up to roasting temps.

Lean Meats = Hot & Fast
Fatty Meats = Low & Slow

That's how I roll. :)
That’s what I’m doing. I hate turkey. Family loves it. With that said I injected with butter, Cajun seasoning and chicken broth. Coated with Mayo and hit with rub. 225 super smoke 3 hours. Foiled and finished at 350 till it hit 167. Hard to see from pic, but pretty good smoke ring.

Attachments

• F93EC4AF-F409-4897-831F-58DD9ED8D840.jpeg
    F93EC4AF-F409-4897-831F-58DD9ED8D840.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 790FA17B-72C5-42DF-B787-1CA7D8317907.jpeg
    790FA17B-72C5-42DF-B787-1CA7D8317907.jpeg
    302.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Latest Discussions

Back