Beef Black and blue filet?

BunBun

Reaction score
Grill
Tailgater 20
I’ve only used my Traeger one time, to make a chicken, which as you can imagine turned out perfectly, the best chicken ever. I would like to make filet mignon for my mother and myself, since we can’t go out and order it these days (she’s in a high-risk category). We prefer ours black and blue, otherwise known as Pittsburgh style. Remembering that I am a novice, does anyone have a great recipe for this? I’ve never grilled a steak before on anything. I just want to do something nice for my mom. Thanks!❤️

I’ve only used my Traeger one time, to make a chicken, which as you can imagine turned out perfectly, the best chicken ever. I would like to make filet mignon for my mother and myself, since we can’t go out and order it these days (she’s in a high-risk category). We prefer ours black and blue, otherwise known as Pittsburgh style. Remembering that I am a novice, does anyone have a great recipe for this? I’ve never grilled a steak before on anything. I just want to do something nice for my mom. Thanks!❤️

Best Small Toaster Oven 2021- Reviews & Buyer’s Guide

I think blue filet, it would be good.

Yes, it is. I just don’t know how to make it. I’m looking for advice. Can you help?

Start with a really thick filet 2 to 3 inches. Get grill at its hottest and grill on each side till it is done enough for you on the inside and hopefully the outside will be browned enough for you,
You could also slow smoke until its 120 inside and crank the grill up to high with a cast iron pan inside and sear until its brown enough, I bought Grill Grates and at 500 with a thick steak get nice sear marks and medium rare inside,

I lifted this from an article;

How to Make Black and Blue Steak

The hardest part about making it is ensuring there are plenty of flames rising high above the grates on your grill. Let me be the first to say that a Pittsburgh style steak must be done on an open flame grill, it cannot be done on a pan on your cooktop because it will take way too long to char on the outside without it being rare in the middle. So, the first thing you can do is crank your grill up to the hottest setting it can go and let it hold that temperature for about 7 to 10 minutes before cooking.

When using cuts of meat like a New York strip or a ribeye, it’s actually easier to achieve a Pittsburgh style steak because you can simply fabricate your cuts of beef when you are breaking it down to keep some more of the fat on. When it comes time to cook the steak you trim a bit more of the fat off and then you place that fat around the outside of the steak. Or when fabricating simply trim all the fat and set it to the side in a freezer or on a ready to order basis. Meat fat breaks down pretty slow but drips profusely causing lots of flame and fire which will help you achieve that char to your meat. THIS is the best way to make a Pittsburgh style steak.

Start with a really thick filet 2 to 3 inches. Get grill at its hottest and grill on each side till it is done enough for you on the inside and hopefully the outside will be browned enough for you,
You could also slow smoke until its 120 inside and crank the grill up to high with a cast iron pan inside and sear until its brown enough, I bought Grill Grates and at 500 with a thick steak get nice sear marks and medium rare inside,
Yeah, the thing about Pittsburgh is that it’s mooing on the inside. Still actually kind of cool inside. I’m not sure it can be easily done, especially for a newbie like myself. But it’s worth a shot!

I lifted this from an article;

How to Make Black and Blue Steak

The hardest part about making it is ensuring there are plenty of flames rising high above the grates on your grill. Let me be the first to say that a Pittsburgh style steak must be done on an open flame grill, it cannot be done on a pan on your cooktop because it will take way too long to char on the outside without it being rare in the middle. So, the first thing you can do is crank your grill up to the hottest setting it can go and let it hold that temperature for about 7 to 10 minutes before cooking.

When using cuts of meat like a New York strip or a ribeye, it’s actually easier to achieve a Pittsburgh style steak because you can simply fabricate your cuts of beef when you are breaking it down to keep some more of the fat on. When it comes time to cook the steak you trim a bit more of the fat off and then you place that fat around the outside of the steak. Or when fabricating simply trim all the fat and set it to the side in a freezer or on a ready to order basis. Meat fat breaks down pretty slow but drips profusely causing lots of flame and fire which will help you achieve that char to your meat. THIS is the best way to make a Pittsburgh style steak.
This may be faaaar beyond my level of experience. Hmmm...

Just try for medium rare or rare and don't over cook it and even the mistakes will taste good.
You learn best from experience.

Just try for medium rare or rare and don't over cook it and even the mistakes will taste good.
You learn best from experience.
Thank you so much for all of this. And for the reassurance!

I don't think 500 degrees is going to get you the type of crust you'd be expecting on a Pittsburgh style steak. Do you have a cast iron pan and/or another grill that you can get to a higher temp than your Traeger? If so, you can try a reverse sear. Start the steaks on your Traeger at a low temp (180-225 - lower temp will get you a little more smoke flavor if that's what you want). Pull them off when they get to around 15 degrees lower than you want them to be when you eat them. Brush them with EVOO and throw them on a scorching cast iron pan or grill for maybe 45 seconds per side so they can nice and charred.

Depending on how rare you want the inside to be and how thick the steaks are, you might be able to skip the Traeger step all together and just sear them a little longer per side.

Personally, I don't see it happening on a Traeger without Grill Grates or a cast iron pan/griddle. You'll have to pre-heat those things for good time before attempting the sear & flip too.

Thanks, guys. The good news is that the trial and error will still be delicious! I’ll do my best!

You could always start them on your Traeger and then give them a nice torching at the end.

(yes, there are cheaper options out there but these look like way more fun)

Taking out your DRIP PAN also helps if you MUST stay on the Traeger the whole time...
This is also in a VID somewhere... this way you get the hottest direct heat you can from your Traeger

Back