Beef Prices

I haven’t checked the difference lately, but down here the difference in the price of choice or prime used to be only 30 or 40 cents a lb. prolly a dollar now

Good friend of mine owns a local family owned butcher shop/processing plant. He told me last week their beef prices went down by approximately 30% from his suppliers. Hopefully we will see things trickling down in the next week or so....

you can lay blame for fuel prices squarely on the fuel industry itself. I deliver gas for a living, and all the old guys decided to use covid as a convenient time to retire when trucking companies needed to let drivers go with the reduced demand.

P.S. you can lay blame for fuel prices squarely on the fuel industry itself. I deliver gas for a living, and all the old guys decided to use covid as a convenient time to retire when trucking companies needed to let drivers go with the reduced demand. Now that demand has resumed, the industry is desperate for drivers and gas stations are literally running out as a result. This drives prices up. If you live on the east coast, there is an additional level of stuff going on as people are/were hoarding with the pipeline hack issues.
This is something ongoing. It's coming primarily from refineries. One in Texas that closed down in the freeze in the winter and one in Louisiana after the hurricane. Then Covid fueling the problem you described. Pretty quick refineries will be shutting down to switch over to winter mix. Yes, it's having an effect on prices, but for meat other factors are at work as well. I noticed that this spring, less calves feeding in the Flint Hills. A huge chunk of it is fueled by Covid though. Lots of money chasing less product.. EON 101. This too shall pass eventually.

I've noticed a big uptick in beef prices at Costco recently. Stupid CHOICE NY strips selling for $13/lb. Anyone else seeing the spike?

Fortunately HEB in Texas has it own local beef suppliers and processing. I figured I tuck away a few of these Wagyu London Broils at $7.99/lb for later. I tell ya, reverse seared, they are more tender and flavorful than any Choice NY Strip, especially at almost twice the price. This kind of marbling is unheard of on regular London Broil cuts.

View attachment 5836
So much for the 16 cents savings on a picnic .....

I just picked up a full packer brisket at Restaurant Depot - it was $5.60/lb. - Angus Choice. The 81/19 Ground Chuck was $3.40/lb. Chicken breasts (boneless) were $2.61/lb.

Last week on Thursday I was in Walmart scanning meat prices, they had a prime rib for $72.00 around 5 lbs it was 11.** a pound. Last Tuesday I was there again, same prime rib was marked up to $16.** a lb. Price was $102.**. Just unreal.

P.S. you could still see the old sticker price under the new one.

Last Monday at my local Sam’s they have the Dino rib in stock. First time ever I seen it there. I know Costco carries it once in awhile. Price wasn’t too crazy. I think they were around $70-80 ea.

Last week on Thursday I was in Walmart scanning meat prices, they had a prime rib for $72.00 around 5 lbs it was 11.** a pound. Last Tuesday I was there again, same prime rib was marked up to $16.** a lb. Price was $102.**. Just unreal.

P.S. you could still see the old sticker price under the new one.
Those top stickers tend to fall off easily…. Sometimes before you reach the register even.

20210924_123845.jpg

Picked up some Ground Chuck burgers at HEB last weekend. The price was up 10% over the same price all last couple years.

Yeah, I took a Pic of the one above just to track the pricing.

Decided to document some beef prices at my local H-E-B today - September 28, 2021. We may look back at these with fond memories. I do like the selection from which to choose. The bottom right are Prime Beef Dino Ribs.

1632869401431.png

Back