Beef Prices

And the two are separate muscles (the point and the flat) so they could be bought as a packer and separated?

@Murphy's Law answered you,
I would only add that it is easily separated because there is a layer of fat between them that clearly distinguishes both cuts

@Murphy's Law answered you,
I would only add that it is easily separated because there is a layer of fat between them that clearly distinguishes both cuts
I was examining one closely at my local grocery store where I found that they have them...@$6.99/lb and that is what it looked like, thanks. I also helped my neighbor cut up a deer a few years ago and learned a lot about the muscle groups and separating them. Before that it was all new to me. One thing that I have started doing is trimming most of the fat and rendering tallow in a crock pot. I render the lard on pork as well and use that for making pie crusts.

Neighbor stopped by Costco and they got some more prime.

Attachments

• IMG_20210618_205154.jpg
    IMG_20210618_205154.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 27
Just came bag from the store, got 3 choice packers on sale for $2.98 lb. I bought 3.😁
3ED711BD-25C2-4932-85EB-96DBD9BCF186.jpeg

They are on sale till 6/30/21. I probably will get a few more , if I have room in the freezer.

Dang, that’s already trimmed too…
Great price. Trimmed is always a buck or two more here..

Dang, that’s already trimmed too…
Great price. Trimmed is always a buck or two more here..
They still looked a little fatty , but hey better than $4 or $5 a pound.

Was visiting in North Dallas TX during Memorial Day. Was pleased to see Thom Thumb had coupon for Packer Briskets at 1.69 per pound. Kroger had them for 2.49 per pound sale. Nephew smoked his first brisket in his Ironwood 650 with my learnings from this forum. It was a from Krogers - 19 pound packer at 2.49 per pound). It was very good.

Sadly when I returned to Michigan the Packers are all 4.59 to 6.00 per pound. I usually shop Costco and Sams and was used to seeing Packers for 3.48 to 4.28 per pound depending if they were choice or prime. Looks like the prices are up in Michigan. When /if they reduce in price will have to fill my son's freezer with brisket. It is still filled well with frozen turkeys discounted after Thanksgiving and Hams after Christmas.

Anyone know any good packet brisket pricing in SE Michigan now. If not the 20 pound smoked turkey was great. Brined it for 48 hours. Neighbor who buys Honey Baked Smoked Turkey tried it and said it was better then his last Honey Baked Smoked Turkey. He might be smart like a fox and setting me up to cook his next Christmas Turkey :cool:

Was at Costco in So Cal yesterday prime brisket $4.69/lb.
I didn’t see any choice.

Attachments

• 7BB112DB-F709-4A03-8E7B-668007B95B6D.jpeg
    7BB112DB-F709-4A03-8E7B-668007B95B6D.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 28
Perfect size too.. Did you bring it home 🤪

No, by myself this weekend and new to smoking so I probably would have ruined a great piece of meat..

No, by myself this weekend and new to smoking so I probably would have ruined a great piece of meat..
Could have just stuck it in the freezer. Once you learn the quirks of your pit and get ready to try one, try it like this video.
Almost foolproof method.

Could have just stuck it in the freezer. Once you learn the quirks of your pit and get ready to try one, try it like this video.
Almost foolproof method.
Freezer for sure, I got 2 15 pounders in there now.

Tonight is only my second cook but I did see that video. It makes it look sooooooo easy.. 😵‍💫
When I do get a brisket, that will be the method I try.

Wife just showed me a receipt for a prime brisket I bought last year at H-E-B. $2.89 a pound. 😭

Wife just showed me a receipt for a prime brisket I bought last year at H-E-B. $2.89 a pound. 😭
Ya no kidding! That’s what I paid for my choice brisket last month. Lucky I found the month long ad at my local grocery store.

Back