Beef Jerky

I just made a batch yesterday, using top round steak with a teriyaki marinade (from Traeger recipes), and it came out great.

Rack arrived, double boxed from Amazon. Sad to find that it still took a significant hit :(

I'll call Bull Rack systems tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_4695.jpg
    IMG_4695.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 251
Bummer. Did amazon deliver it?
Ya, Amazon delivered it and as I mentioned, it was double boxed, no visible damage on either box so I wonder just where it took the hit. The bottom two pans were damaged so some kind of bar hit or squeezed the box somehow.
In any case, Amazon is great, a replacement is coming tomorrow.

Just to check back in on this thread. When Covid was just coming on, end of Feb-March, I was at the market before the mayhem struck. Asked the butcher if they had any full eye of rounds, they did, and on special! I picked up two, about 12lbs. Sliced them up and teriyaki marinated them for a day.

Slapped them into the Bull Racks and pretty much filled them up. Smoked for 7 hours, bagged them until cool, then used a cheap ZipLoc vacuum sealer to portion them out. Froze them and these many months later have finally run out. Back on the quest for more meat!

Thanks for the tip on these racks, they are perfect for this!

Attachments

• IMG_7135.jpg
    IMG_7135.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_7136.jpg
    IMG_7136.jpg
    359.8 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7137.jpg
    IMG_7137.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_7138.jpg
    IMG_7138.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_7141.jpg
    IMG_7141.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_7142.jpg
    IMG_7142.jpg
    339.6 KB · Views: 177
Just to check back in on this thread. When Covid was just coming on, end of Feb-March, I was at the market before the mayhem struck. Asked the butcher if they had any full eye of rounds, they did, and on special! I picked up two, about 12lbs. Sliced them up and teriyaki marinated them for a day.

Slapped them into the Bull Racks and pretty much filled them up. Smoked for 7 hours, bagged them until cool, then used a cheap ZipLoc vacuum sealer to portion them out. Froze them and these many months later have finally run out. Back on the quest for more meat!

Thanks for the tip on these racks, they are perfect for this!
Good ideas all over this site. Pre shelf mod eh?

What's it been? 4 months? My Jerky stash has been empty for weeks now. My local meat counters have not had eye-of-round in stock in any quantity.

This morning I asked the butcher if I could special order some. To my shock and surprise, he had two cryo paks in the back. He offered to trim them up and slice them for me, and be ready in the morning.

I'm excited to be cranking out a new batch!

Hat tip to GrillMeister for setting me down this path, in style!

You're one lucky guy
Ya, it's my local Smart&Final market, the meat guys are super helpful, and they saved me to lot of work!

So, the two whole eye-of-round's yielded a bit over 10lbs of medallions. I trimmed all fat etc. and sliced them into smaller pieces. I coated all pieces in a large bowl of the marinade, then transferred into gallon ziploc bags. Per GrillMeisters lead I will rotate and also open the bags and mix periodically overnight to evenly coat.
775525DB-37A8-48D1-9523-B520E664CACC.jpeg

EC15AA0F-4009-419B-8360-B7CE6C33B100.jpeg

I can't get over the fact you got a guy to slice them for you... That makes me wonder if my Deer processor would do the same for some of my loin and roast?? That would make my year!!!

(or buy myself a slicer and hide it from the wife)

RemE;
What is your opinion on running at average 175-180 as a temp ( see my calibration runs on you “ Covid project thread”) for Jerky. I can not get down to 165 for 5 hrs....

RemE;
What is your opinion on running at average 175-180 as a temp ( see my calibration runs on you “ Covid project thread”) for Jerky. I can not get down to 165 for 5 hrs....
Probably just fine, my grill is indicating 163-168F. Fireboard is around +7F (averaging 173F)

Just check periodically and pull when it's to your liking.
0934F660-2A00-43E5-B8C6-D3DEA1A21143.png

I'm about to pull mine now, I shuffled the shelves a couple of hours ago.

Note to self, remember to shuffle shelves AND to check hourly after 4 hours!

Jerky was almost over done at 7hrs, boy, that would have been devastating! But, it came out great, rewarding project.
FA35E4E4-E4B3-4134-A214-5F1FE305DA31.jpeg

Now chilling in big ziploc overnight, vacuum bag into portions tomorrow.

Back