Beans

Timmy

BBQ FEAST MASTER #traegergameday Wins 2022/2024
Staff member
Reaction score
Grill
Pro 780, Bronson 20 , Char grill gasser, Char griller modified offset, Blackstone 3 burner griddle
I usually just buy canned beans and smokem for a bit, i wanna change it up to homemade. Im looking for some beans recipies.

Here is the first one, sound really good.
Screenshot_20210202-214204_Chrome.jpg

I usually just buy canned beans and smokem for a bit, i wanna change it up to homemade. Im looking for some beans recipies.
I have had pretty good luck with a combination of canned Bush’s Southern Pit + regular Pork&Beans, sweated red onions and jalapeños, pineapple tidbits and other sweeteners, thick sliced pepper bacon, cubed brisket from a smoked flat, a batch of BBQ sauce, various spices and seasonings to taste, Traeger’d in a large disposable aluminum pot, at 180*F for 4-5 hours, stirred hourly to a temp that seems right.

Used this one several times

sauté 1 lb ground beef with diced yellow onion
Add 2 cans kings Ford beans
1 can butter beans
1/2 cup bbq and 1/2 cup ketchup
Tablespoon white vinegar

use wife approved pan for the smoker - smoke about 2 hours

GrillMeister's Pinto Beans

1 lb. Dry Pinto Beans
1 Smithfield Ham Steak, trimmed, deboned, and cubed.
4 Tbs. Fiesta Bean Seasoning
1 Tbs. Bad Byron's Butt Rub
2 medium onions chopped up
2 jalapeno peppers
1/2 bunch cilantro

Sort beans, look for pebbles.
Soak overnight and rinse before cooking.
Cover beans with water up to 1 inch. Bring to a boil.
Roiling boil for 1 hour.

Then add bean seasoning, butt rub, onions, ham and float the jalapenos and simmer for another hour.

Add cilantro last 15 minutes of cook.

1 lb. Dry Pinto Beans
2 jalapeno peppers
1/2 bunch cilantro

Roiling boil for 1 hour.

Then add bean seasoning, butt rub, onions, ham and float the jalapenos and simmer for another hour.

Dang, that sounds awesome! Bring on the cornbread.... :ROFLMAO:

With cornbread it’s a meal.
Bet that same recipe would be good for navy beans also. ( maybe minus the cilantro). We smoked a whole ham (25 pounder) for Christmas, and I cut the bone into three manageable pieces, just to add to beans..

Bet that same recipe would be good for navy beans also. ( maybe minus the cilantro). We smoked a whole ham (25 pounder) for Christmas, and I cut the bone into three manageable pieces, just to add to beans..

Probably so. Key is ham and not adding any seasoning till after the beans have cooked for an hour. Ham hocks will work too. I'd toss the bone in just for flavor too. Cilantro is a Texas thing. ;)

Problem so. Key is ham and not adding any seasoning till after the beans have cooked for an hour. Ham hocks will work too. I'd toss the bone in just for flavor too. Cilantro is a Texas thing. ;)
I like to wait even longer than an hour...
Yeah, I use lots of cilantro... just didn’t seem like a fit for navy beans...

I have had pretty good luck with a combination of canned Bush’s Southern Pit + regular Pork&Beans, sweated red onions and jalapeños, pineapple tidbits and other sweeteners, thick sliced pepper bacon, cubed brisket from a smoked flat, a batch of BBQ sauce, various spices and seasonings to taste, Traeger’d in a large disposable aluminum pot, at 180*F for 4-5 hours, stirred hourly to a temp that seems right.
I used Bush's grilling beans, pork and beans, a sweet red onion, pineapple chunks chopped up, 6 strips regular bacon, bbq sauce and sprinkled in some Rib Tickler. Everyone thought they were great! Thanks @ExUnifliter!
Next time tryin a different recipe!

1 lb. Dry Pinto Beans
2 jalapeno peppers
1/2 bunch cilantro

Roiling boil for 1 hour.

What would be your recommendation for cooking this on the Traeger, say for 4,5,6 hours at about 200f to 220f degrees?

IMO, 4-6 hours is not enough for pinto beans. We like to cook em overnight at least. The longer you cook them, the more the juices thicken, and the more flavorful they become.

IMO, 4-6 hours is not enough for pinto beans. We like to cook em overnight at least. The longer you cook them, the more the juices thicken, and the more flavorful they become.
So if boiled for a hour then put on Traeger for 4 to 6 hr be enough?

Back