Be sure to keep your Gas Grill around for backup

Silverado

Reaction score
Grill
Pto 34
I liked my Traeger for the first year and half, but later noticed it did not heat up or as fast as said. It was bad enough not having a sear source at this price point, but not able to heat up in a several minutes is a big let down. So I repurchased a gas grill for back up and time savings. Even with fresh pellets and a clean system, it takes a long while (25-30minutes) to reach over 300 degrees and maintain there, it vacillates more down temperature than the upper temperature and it never sees 400.

Hard to argue. High heat is a pellet grills Achilles heel. Some do better than others but hey a good gas grill is a wonderful appliance.

I don’t think I have the problem you seem to…..at least not around 300-350 which I think is as high as I’ve had it. It gets there relatively quick and stays in that ballpark……but for high temps I do just use the Weber gas grill

I don’t think I have the problem you seem to…..at least not around 300-350 which I think is as high as I’ve had it. It gets there relatively quick and stays in that ballpark……but for high temps I do just use the Weber gas grill
They should get to 500 (newer models anyway). I’ve heard reports of some people having trouble with reaching high temps. Hard to say if it’s the pellets or the controller or even possibly a software issue. The larger models can take a minute to get there for sure. Especially in cooler or downright cold weather.

They should get to 500 (newer models anyway). I’ve heard reports of some people having trouble with reaching high temps. Hard to say if it’s the pellets or the controller or even possibly a software issue. The larger models can take a minute to get there for sure. Especially in cooler or downright cold weather.
I have a pro575. The last time I went north of 400 was during the initial break in phase but it reached that no problem.

I have a pro575. The last time I went north of 400 was during the initial break in phase but it reached that no problem.
I have no doubt.👍🏻

Just saying I’ve heard of others with the issue he described. I think it’s rare, but I’ve heard it. Specifically people not being able to reach over 300 or 350. I think it’s a controller issue but IDK. 🤷🏼‍♂️

When I was first looking at buying a pellet grill, I was going to sell my Weber Genisis to off-set the cost. Luckily for me my daughter got me a Pro 780 for Christmas, so I kept the Weber and glad I did. I still use the gas grill for when I want a quick heat up, high heat, don't feel like messing with charcoal for hot dogs, etc.

Having more than one grill is a good thing!

I don't do high heat in my Traegers anymore since I picked up a small stainless gasser. The gasser gets up to 800 pretty quick and with GrillGrates, it makes searing a snap after a protein has been sitting in a smoke bath for an hour or so. The combo makes for great steaks or chops cooked perfectly with awesome grill marks. When I eat out, I'm only disappointed if I order a steak.

400-500 degrees just helps Traeger sell more grills. And then people are disappointed in the product after paying so much for it. Especially if they've never used a smoker or pellet grill before.

I have a new 885. It will consistently make it to 500 degrees and slightly higher on an independent oven thermometer. As for the time it takes, around 20 minutes, I come from charcoal grilling so 20 minutes is fast for me. I have a propane stove, I don’t need a propane grill.

Hard to beat a gasser for quick & easy searing after a smoke bath in the Traeger. No delay and especially no fire.

1656115849704.png

The answer is GrillGrates! Even tho I’ve not had heating issues with mt Ranger, I got a set. They work fine. I got a set for my Weber genesis 2 too. don’t leave home without them.

I only use my Traeger for slow smoking. For grilling steaks or just regular barbecuing, I have a Weber Genesis propane grill and a Weber Performer Deluxe charcoal grill with the touch and go propane lighting system. They both work great.

I liked my Traeger for the first year and half, but later noticed it did not heat up or as fast as said. It was bad enough not having a sear source at this price point, but not able to heat up in a several minutes is a big let down. So I repurchased a gas grill for back up and time savings. Even with fresh pellets and a clean system, it takes a long while (25-30minutes) to reach over 300 degrees and maintain there, it vacillates more down temperature than the upper temperature and it never sees 400.
The heat generated (that's BTU's as opposed to Temperature) is a function of how fast the auger can push the pellets into the burn pot and how much air the blower can push into the burn. So if the auger is damaged, or if the feed to the auger is blocked, or if the fan inlet is blocked, or if the fan motor is on its last legs - all of these things can rob you of BTU's, which shows up in terms of your top-end temperature.

Some of the remedies here would be to inspect your fan passage for spider webs, check your fan blades. Disassemble the auger and knock all the gunked up wood pellets out of it. Clean out the pot and make sure that nothing is obstructing pellets or air there. Troubleshoot with idea that you want the most auger speed and the clearest fan blast to the pot.

As for sear-station - every Trager got a long one down each side - its the gap between the deflector plate and the outside skin of the Traeger. If you place your meat out there at your 400°, you can sear really well (I'm a reverse sear kind of guy myself). The only caution here is to be careful about a grease fire if you miss the blast plate and fill up the bottom of your Traeger. You can get meat complete over the deflector plate, and still have it close enough to the edge to crust it up real nice.

I'll do 1-1/4" steaks at 175°F for about 1-1/2 hours...then I pull them (internal is about 110°F), then I turn the grill up to 450°F and put the steaks back on near the sides of the deflector plate. Flip em' at 120° internal, and let them go to 130°. Pull them and let them sit for 20 minutes minimum up to 35 minutes.

Latest Discussions

Back