Baking potatoes

JVO

Reaction score
Grill
Pro 575
HI guys, newbie here. I’m cooking my first prime rib roast today (250) and also want to do baked potatoes (bakers and sweet). I’ve oiled and salted the potatoes, but here is my question. Do you wrap in foil or just put them on? Does it matter if you put them on the main grill or up top? I may be way over thinking this but that’s what I do.

Your questions are all valid! I have tried the salted potato on the bottom grill, on the top grill, and Skewered with the stainless steel potato spikes. The only way I could get the potatoes completely cooked was to quarter them (but not all the way through). So if anyone has had success any other way, I am interested as well.

I punch a bunch of holes in the potato, then oil it up with EVOO and some kosher salt and wrap in foil and put direct on the grid till done. It does not matter where you put em.

I use potato spikes. It helps. I use olive oil and either salt or some Holy Cow rub. I do not use foil as I like smoke in my potatoes. Depending on size, it will most likely require at least 3 hours at 250 degrees to get them done. You can check for done using a thermapen or like thermometer.

I use potato spikes. It helps. I use olive oil and either salt or some Holy Cow rub. I do not use foil as I like smoke in my potatoes. Depending on size, it will most likely require at least 3 hours at 250 degrees to get them done. You can check for done using a thermapen or like thermometer.
What internal temp is done?

HI guys, newbie here. I’m cooking my first prime rib roast today (250) and also want to do baked potatoes (bakers and sweet). I’ve oiled and salted the potatoes, but here is my question. Do you wrap in foil or just put them on? Does it matter if you put them on the main grill or up top? I may be way over thinking this but that’s what I do.
I’ve had good luck piercing them with a knife and coat with olive oil salt pepper. Usually on grates for 2 hours then wrap in foil till done

I think I'll try a hybrid method based on the ideas expressed here. Next time I put potatoes on the grill, I will use the spikes, oil and salt them and place directly on the grill until 190 degrees or until soft. Then I'll pull them from the grill and inject them with melted garlic herb butter, wrap them and put them back on the grill until 205.

I microwave for 5 min then spike and wrap . This cuts 30 min off the cook...

Kinda like Potato Caltrops?!🤔😆😂🤣

I use bigger potatoes. I poke holes with a fork, I try to get my punctures to the center of the tater, oil and salt heavily. Grill at 250 for 2.5 to 3 hours. I've only cooked them twice so far but both times they came off in under 3 hours. I like the smoke in my potatoes and I like the super crispy skin it creates cooking them unwrapped.

I microwave for 5 min then spike and wrap . This cuts 30 min off the cook...

This is what I do, as well. Although I don't really use a timer...just push "potato" on the microwave, add oil and salt then wrap in foil when done, and on the grill for about 30 mins to an hour. I don't have any issue with the skin doing them this way.

I never wrap in foil, and I don’t nuke em either. I make twice baked potatoes quite often, and they are almost impossible to make if cooked in foil, or nuked. IMO, the skin is waaay to soft to work with.

Olive oil, lots of kosher salt, and on Traeger until internal temp of 205.
Large baking potatoes will take at least 3 hours at 250 to reach correct IT. Crank to 400, and they will be done in an hour or less. In fact, most recipes that I’ve seen for baked potatoes call for cooking at 400.

I like to smoke them at 225, while I’m doing a long cook. They have crispy skins and a great smoke flavor. I figure if I’m gonna wrap em in foil, may as well just cook them in the oven.

This is what I do, as well. Although I don't really use a timer...just push "potato" on the microwave, add oil and salt then wrap in foil when done, and on the grill for about 30 mins to an hour. I don't have any issue with the skin doing them this way.
I do not have a potato button, but my microwave is still running after 40 years....

Back