auger jammed

rainierfriesians

Reaction score
The auger jammed on my Traeger and I only use Traeger pellets. The pellets I removed were not swollen from moisture. This grill is a little over a year old. I live in Washington so it rains a lot here. I haven't had any issues until recently.

I recently had Traeger Hickory pellets jam the auger on my PTG+. I tried others, Traeger Pecan, Weber Hickory and had no problems. I think the Traeger Hickory pellets are a little more difficult to snap in half.

Could they have been old stock, perhaps dried out ( thus a bit harder).....

I recently had Traeger Hickory pellets jam the auger on my PTG+. I tried others, Traeger Pecan, Weber Hickory and had no problems. I think the Traeger Hickory pellets are a little more difficult to snap in half.
the pellets I have been using is their blend you get at Costco

Maybe it's just me, but it sure seems that a lot of people have problems with the Traeger grills and pellets that are exclusive to Costco.

I haven't bought anything Traeger related at Costco. I think their Hickory pellets are my problem. They may
have problems with other flavors as well. I may just start using other brands and see how they perform.

I do wonder if an annual "deep clean" where you clear the auger of pellets and really vacuum everything out might prevent something like this. I'm sure there is some dust build up in the auger tube area.

As for buying a Traeger from Costco I am not going to recommend it. I bought Traeger replacement motor and I had to swap out the connector. Good thing I had the tools to do this. When I pulled out the auger it was packed so hard in the tube I had to use a hammer and very long screw driver to break up the pellets. Like RemE says I will start doing a deep clean including pulling out the auger to clean out the tube. Too bad Traeger doesn't make it possible to hook a ratchet on the end of the auger so you can easily clean out the tube routinely without pulling it all apart.

I periodically remove the pallets from the hopper and purge/prime the auger of all pallets, then I use a leaf blower to blow the dust out of the auger tube, works well.

Back