Are Pro 575 temp issues resolved?

TeppidEndeavor

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm trying to settle on which line of Traeger to purchase. I would maybe consider the Costco option, but their delivery window is too late.. I'm wanting to smoke Turkeys for Christmas. That leaves the local suppliers.

I think of the local stock, the Pro 575 is the best option for me, but I'm uncertain if the temp issues were resolved with the firmware updates. From what I can tell, most of the complaints are from April-June, and in July, some folks say they're resolved... yet I've seen others from Nov/Dec have issues. So.. is the Pro 575 a safe purchase, or is it still crap? :)

Also - if anyone has any recommendations on if I should be considering other options in that range (like the store specific ones.. Eastwood from HD, etc), I'm all ears. I've considered bumping up to the Ironwood, but not sure if that's right for me. (Small family, don't need too much room)

Buy as much smoker (grate size) as you can afford. I have an Ironwood 650 and I run out of room all the time. Also keep in mind the more food on the grate the longer it can take to cook as it impedes the air flow around the food and the less efficient in my opinion. I'm in negotiations to purchase another smoker to have more grate room as well as the flexibility of smoking/cooking at 2 different temps at the same time. Just my $0.02.

Hey folks, I'm trying to settle on which line of Traeger to purchase. I would maybe consider the Costco option, but their delivery window is too late.. I'm wanting to smoke Turkeys for Christmas. That leaves the local suppliers.

I think of the local stock, the Pro 575 is the best option for me, but I'm uncertain if the temp issues were resolved with the firmware updates. From what I can tell, most of the complaints are from April-June, and in July, some folks say they're resolved... yet I've seen others from Nov/Dec have issues. So.. is the Pro 575 a safe purchase, or is it still crap? :)

Also - if anyone has any recommendations on if I should be considering other options in that range (like the store specific ones.. Eastwood from HD, etc), I'm all ears. I've considered bumping up to the Ironwood, but not sure if that's right for me. (Small family, don't need too much room)
I have the 575 that had temp issues that "seem" to be resolved. I do not know if I have had a firmware update or not, but my last few cooks the ambient temp seems pretty close to the others that I use to check it. I have not tested the meat probe though recently.

Mine still has a huge difference between what it's set at and what it is inside the grill. I monitor it with a Foreboard probe and adjust according to what it reads.

I ended up sending my 575 back [100 degrees off on temperature] to HD and purchased a Yoder....from what I've read, if you have a PRO series with electronics issues, the firmware updates may or may not fix it....replacing the electronics may or may not fix it....but if you get one that works, its fine....I will say that the food I did cook on there was delicious....also, it was very efficient with pellet usage......

Regarding the size, I have a small family and the 575 was not really big enough if you want to smoke veggies or side dishes.....the top shelf doesn't hold a lot....I would HIGHLY recommend you spend the extra 200$ and get the bigger one [that applies to almost any brand it seems 200$ difference]

Traeger does have decent CS but beware....I found more than once i was "#40 something" in cue.... yikes

that tells me there are some issues....

good luck in your search!

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I appreciate y’all taking the time to share experience. Today is decision day and I feel I need to steer clear of the Pro 575. Will update with direction I choose, just for posterity.

I was going back and forth between the Pro 575 and the Ironwood 650. I've been extremely happy with the 650. It's certainly more money but I figured it will be something I keep a long time. I believe most of the Ace Hardwares keep 'em in stock.

If you aren't in a hurry, the new Weber Smokefire Grill looks interesting and comes out mid January 2020. Not many reviews out, so hard to tell what issues it could have.

While mine is not the 650 I, too, am extremely happy thus far with my Ironwood. I purchased it in September and it's my first experience with a pellet smoker but there's absolutely nothing I dislike about it. Having said that, it is a different experience than charcoal smokers that I'm used to.

Well, after speaking with a local Traeger rep (who was selling at Costco), doing further reading, and reading additional places with tons of happy owners, I went with a Pro 575 from the Ace, here. They offered me a hell of a discount because of a small scratch on the back of the barrel, and took care of my logistical issue of delivery. I'll share my experiences here, pros and minuses. On a side note.. dang. I haven't been into an Ace in ages.. and I doubt I'll be returning to HD or Lowes anytime soon. Great staff, they were all knowledgeable, most of the store's employees owned Traegers and invited me back to share recipes and experiences, or tips and advice. Just found my new hardware store, too!

Hello, the temperature issue was short lived, the firmware update cured that. I own the Pro575 and it’s awesome! You should have bought it two weeks ago when it was $100.00 cheaper. Don’t wait till next year bc there is a price increase coming.

Did you ever purchase a pellet grill?

I did. I purchased the Pro 575. I did a pre-Christmas turkey trial run and it turned out fantastic. Temperatures were great. Time was spot on. Used Traeger pellets, everything exceeded expectations.
Amen! Glad it worked out well for you! Merry Christmas to all!

Latest Discussions

Back