Another connectivity issue

My new Ironwood 885 wifire issues were resolved within 30 minutes when I called customer service ( on my first call). I called 6/18/20.

the tech, asked me to move my router closer, power off the grill and it worked. Maybe he recommended more but that is all I recall.

My new Ironwood 885 wifire issues were resolved within 30 minutes when I called customer service ( on my first call). I called 6/18/20.

the tech, asked me to move my router closer, power off the grill and it worked. Maybe he recommended more but that is all I recall.

The main issue I have been seeing assisting people the past couple weeks is Firmware version related ... if the grill has a Gen1-based controller (AC-powered), Traeger has ceased supporting anything prior to version 3, thus you have to get a controller replacement sent out ... If the grill has a Gen2-based controller (D2 WiFIRE Controller) running Firmware version 2.00.00 or earlier, a replacement controller is needed to be able to complete the setup process ... I have seen people complaining about how their WiFIRE Controller was connected and working and now it isn't ... if their grill is still running version 2.00.00 or earlier of the Firmware, recent changes have been made to the App & Traeger Cloud back-end essentially making old Firmware versions non-functional/obsolete relative to Wi-Fi Setup/Connectivity ...

If the Gen2-based controller has Firmware version 2.00.01 or later, it "should" work, assuming that the Router / Wireless Access Point & App Device are tweaked to accommodate the specific requirements to get through the setup process ... There is a bit of nuance in getting everything "lined up" initially to allow the setup process to successfully complete (especially if you had to get a controller replacement and have numerous failed attempts trying to get the old non-functioning controller connected) ... is it possible someone has a controller with corrupted Firmware, and due to that corruption the setup process is failing? Yes ... but that would be extremely rare ... but I have been involved in a couple of those so far ...

Traeger Support is not prepared to deal with all the possible variations of what an end user may have installed ... the if-then-this diagram can get convoluted fairly quickly depending on the Make/Model of Router, whether there are Wi-Fi Extenders in the mix (+ are they Single or Dual-band Extenders), if the Router is Dual-band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) versus Mesh-based, if the Router is Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), the age of the App Device, etc.

To date, I have assisted over 50 people in the past few months - the end result was either a working solution (i.e. WiFIRE Controller connected and manageable via the App), that also provides them the ability to re-run setup "as needed" for troubleshooting purposes, or definitive confirmation that the WiFIRE Controller needs to be replaced ... Willing to assist anyone who wants to go down the rabbit hole to end up with one of the two outcomes ...

Dunawayfamily ….thanks for your help. I am away from home on business, so will not get back to troubleshooting my grill for a while. Just an FYI (I was trying to keep it simple in the beginning), I had already read most of your posts and tried them before I wrote my own post. I am using a wifi extender ,after not getting a connection to my router originally. It is split (2G, 5G), I am not connecting at all to the 5G. Nothing is defaulting to the 5 G. I can connect my phone and my Kindle to the 2G connection without issues. And, they are named differently like you had suggested.

Thanks for your help. I will get back to you after I return home and continue the battle with the Wifi !!

Dunawayfamily ….thanks for your help. I am away from home on business, so will not get back to troubleshooting my grill for a while. Just an FYI (I was trying to keep it simple in the beginning), I had already read most of your posts and tried them before I wrote my own post. I am using a wifi extender ,after not getting a connection to my router originally. It is split (2G, 5G), I am not connecting at all to the 5G. Nothing is defaulting to the 5 G. I can connect my phone and my Kindle to the 2G connection without issues. And, they are named differently like you had suggested.

Thanks for your help. I will get back to you after I return home and continue the battle with the Wifi !!

There is a possibility you have old Firmware on the WiFIRE Controller even if it is a fairly new grill ... I have chatted with a 3+ people in June who have purchased grills that had a Manufacturing Date of Oct 2019 and earlier, thus were running unsupported/vintage/obsolete Firmware right out-of-the-box ...

EDIT: Nevermind - you posted your version up near the top ... what you have should work, unless the installed Firmware is corrupted ...

Hello,

New here and new to the Traeger grill. Have a new Ironwood 885. Cooks great, but have not been able to connect to the Wifi. I will spare you all of the issues / things I have done (for almost a week now) and get right to todays issue. I got further along with the registration and connection to the wifi today than I have before. What does "Device to use with Traeger" refer to? During my initial connection, after scanning the QR code, a pop-up appears that asks: Device to use with Traeger. The first try, it automatically loads with my router.....then tells me I am connected to my router. Before the background screen of "checking wifi connection" will complete the connection, the "Device to use with Traeger" pop-up comes up again, but this time is auto filled with the name of my Traeger......then says wrong password. This cycle just continues and I cannot get past the window with it connected to use the app. I also have no way of choosing the device or entering a password.

What device is the "Device to use with Traeger" looking/ asking me for? I am very confused on how this works. The grill connects to the home wifi, yet I connect my phone to the grill? Please help. Love the grill....hate the wifi….which unfortunately was one of the big selling points !!
I was unable to connect my pro 575 to the internet because the grill would not be allowed to talk to the wiring router. I was able after numerous tries to get the connection to work. I ended up having my phone search for wifi devices and it found the traeger grill. I clicked on that device and they chose the forget option. Then I opened the traeger app and re ran the pair program and everything was happy.

Latest Discussions

Back