Analog vs Digital

RayClem

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Char-Griller Flat Iron Premium griddle, InkBird Sous Vide
I like the precision of digital thermometers. There are many applications where I find them useful. However, sometimes an analog thermometer has it place as well. Gas grills, charcoal grills, offset smokers and even some pellet grills come with an analog thermometer; Traeger grills do not. However, that is a shortcoming that can be easily remedied. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the lid of my grill and installed a 3 3/16" diameter analog thermometer which can be viewed from several feet away. Most digital thermometers require close proximity. The one I got had a probe reaching 2 7/8" into the grill. I placed it such that the tip of the probe is right above the top grate of my Ironwood 885. Most of my cooking is done on the top grate so the position is ideal.

When my analog and digital thermometers agree, I can be confident that my cook is on track. The grill is currently at 215 F slowly raising the internal temperature of a couple of 2" thick CAB NY strips. I plan on reverse searing the stakes on my gas grill once the meat nears final temp. I seasoned the meat a few days ago and have been allowing them to age in a small fridge.
20220530_145535.jpg

20220530_141954.jpg

You can probably get away with this on your Ironwood, but not my 575.
I own about 4 of these from my Smoker building days, if I put one where you have yours, I'd have a completely false reading cuz I have huge amounts of heat coming up across the front and back couple of inches... that dial therm would probably read +75° over real middle pit temp.

If you have the digital, why do you need the analog? As far as I know, you can't calibrate analog thermometers, so can you really trust them? I know that my Fireboard is accurate and more convenient as I can see it on my phone from anywhere. What would an analog give me that I don't get from FB?

As you can see from my photo inside the grill, I do have digital probes both in the meat and in the firebox to measure the temperature. I do not NEED the analog thermometer, but I like being able to glance at the grill from a distance and know that the temperature is where I want it to be. The readings from my firebox digital probe and the analog thermometer are within a couple of degrees of each other. That gives me confidence that both probes are reading correctly.

I know many folks keep their phones with them at all times. My granddaughter sure does. However, I grew up without cell phones and consider them to be a tool rather than a body part. I do carry my smartphone with me when I leave the house, but when I am at home, my phone resides on a wireless charger or countertop. I never touched my phone yesterday as there was no need to do so.

The digital thermometer I have has its own remote display. It does not connect to my phone and I am fine with that. I do not see any advantage of graphing the temperature during the cook unless you are troubleshooting a controller problem. If you see things differently, that is fine. There are many ways of accomplishing the same result.

A much more expense solution but...

I use my Fireboard 2 as a meat and ambient probe and I keep a Spark sitting on my bar and use it as a "monitor" so I can see the temp as I walk around w/o looking at my phone or watch.

Latest Discussions

Back