Ambient Temp

So I have changed my design just a bit.

One the top lid I am coating the underneath with ITC 213. ITC-213 is an outstanding coating specially formulated to protect graphite, metals, and heating elements from exposure to molten metals. The coating aids in preventing erosion, oxidation, and fatigue from prolonged use at elevated temperatures. This coating can be used alone, or as a base coat for other ITC coating products.
It is a heat-reflective coating.
Then I am putting a layer of stainless steel, probably 18 gauge.
On top of the lid, I am putting a layer of insulating fiber, and then forming another piece of stainless steel in the same shape to use as the outer layer.

Thus the top will leak very little heat and keep it inside the box.

As for the interior box, I have put the insulating brick. On top of this I have put ITC 100 HT. So the complete inside is insulated, bottom and sides, with brick with the coating, which is a ceramic reflecting coating. Any exposed metal (except the grates) is getting the ITC-213 coating. I will place stainless steel 304 metal on top of the brick where I can.

The burn chamber itself is getting the ITC-213 coating, so the burn chamber reflects all heat back into the burn chamber for the heating of the pellets.

Above the burn chamber is a new heat distribution system that I have designed for the flow of the heat. It will be made of 304 stainless steel.

I have placed all the brick and I am now doing the coating, and will try that out. The top lid will get the ceramic coating. Next I will design and build the heat flow distribution system (HFDS) . I am doing this so I can do it in phases yet still use the grill. After that comes the new drip plan design which is also integral to the HFDS.

I am planning this grill for use for the next 50 or so years, or more.

Well, not me, as I am 71. but who knows, I invented a new water that is extending lives, so maybe it will be good if I make 121 years old? I probably can gum my meat by then. LOL

Happy Grilling everyone! May the seasoning be with you! Enjoy Life, enjoy your families, and enjoy your time that you have to do this wonderful activity, as it brings you back in touch with reality and life.

God Bless

Untitled-1.jpg

Okay, success. I tried out my grill today, and it got to over 732 degrees without the shield, and around 682 with the shield. This is only the bare bones right now with the bricks and the ceramic. Hot enough to turn my stainless steel griddle purely black with olive oil. I finally can sear on it, and use a griddle. Did fajitas and the onions and the sweet bell peppers actually carmelized...Yeah.

It will be better with new heat distribution system than the Traeger shield they use. It gains around 1 degree per second right now in heat. I am shooting for two degrees per second.

So I can now go from a low temp smoker to a very high temp sear function all in one.

WOW, do you have any pictures of these mods? I'd love to adopt some for my smoker.
Did you ever get more accuracy from the Traeger ambient after installing the replacement they sent? I posted regarding my Silverton and am having the same problem. Other reliable proven probes register significantly lower than I'm actually seeing on the Traeger.

I know it's an old thread but this is what popped up on Google when I searched this problem. I'm noticing the SAME problem, took me about 24hrs to cook a 15lb brisket because I didn't realize 225 degrees on the traeger is really about 180 degrees inside, the problem is the temp probe on the traeger, they place it on the left side where the heat comes up from so it's always going to read way hotter than the actual temp. I just bought a Meater, it was driving me crazy, I thought it was defective so then I put in a Bluetooth probe, an old analog one, and I also used my digital instant probe.... The problem is the traeger, it leaks smoke all around the lid and the chimney, so it just doesn't heat up good, I have to set it at 275 degrees if I want ambient temp around the brisket to be 225... I actually noticed way more than 30 degrees off more like 50 degrees... So I'm thinking of buying a gasket seal for the lid and closing the chimney more to try to retain more heat... So frustrating as a new owner to learn this way... 24hrs for a damn brisket because it was being cooked at like 180 degrees all the way till the last few hours when i noticed the problem and raised it to 250 then 275.... Looks like they're still designing them with this problem.

I know it's an old thread but this is what popped up on Google when I searched this problem. I'm noticing the SAME problem, took me about 24hrs to cook a 15lb brisket because I didn't realize 225 degrees on the traeger is really about 180 degrees inside, the problem is the temp probe on the traeger, they place it on the left side where the heat comes up from so it's always going to read way hotter than the actual temp. I just bought a Meater, it was driving me crazy, I thought it was defective so then I put in a Bluetooth probe, an old analog one, and I also used my digital instant probe.... The problem is the traeger, it leaks smoke all around the lid and the chimney, so it just doesn't heat up good, I have to set it at 275 degrees if I want ambient temp around the brisket to be 225... I actually noticed way more than 30 degrees off more like 50 degrees... So I'm thinking of buying a gasket seal for the lid and closing the chimney more to try to retain more heat... So frustrating as a new owner to learn this way... 24hrs for a damn brisket because it was being cooked at like 180 degrees all the way till the last few hours when i noticed the problem and raised it to 250 then 275.... Looks like they're still designing them with this problem.

Good 3rd party probe systems are all over Amazon for cheap.
You NEED to know what your 'pit' temp is so you can adjust your grill temp ... but you already know that. MEATER is not a good ambient probe, I know I own 2 of them.
You will find you are probably like the rest of us and only about 25-30° off at all times so I don't even check anymore, I just set it and forget it. 25°+

I have a gasket seal post in here somewhere.... simple to do, search is your friend

Back