Aluminum Pan when cooking

bgilmer76

Reaction score
Grill
Traeger Timberline XL
When cooking a brisket or pulled pork does anyone use the bottom shelf for an aluminum pan to catch drippings? I bought a new Traeger Timberline XL a week ago and figured this would make clean up easier and also use the aluminum pan later in the cook to put the brisket or pulled pork in with the drippings. Thoughts?

simple answer is yes.

Ok, do you put water in it at the beginning of the cook or Leave it empty?

I put about a gallon of water in it. I get great results with this for my briskets and pork butts.

1651875828754.png

If you are a member of Costco, you can get a 30 pack of the half-size aluminum pans for less than $0.50 each. They also have full size pans available.

I cooked a pork tenderloin a couple of days ago and filled the pan half-way with a combination of apple cider vinegar, apple juice, and water to keep the meat from drying out. I also used the same mixture to spritz the top of the meat. It turned out great.

If the meat drippings end up in the pan, it makes cleanup a lot easier. If the main thing you need to remove from the grill is pellet dust and ash, that can even be done with a leaf blower. Just make sure you protect your eyes, nose and mouth from the dust.

My is no, never use a drip pan. Usually I use all the real estate for cooking so no room for one.

I hardly ever use one but it’s just a matter of space why I don’t. I have a 575. I see some others have chimed in since you original asked. Sorry about the delay

When cooking a brisket or pulled pork does anyone use the bottom shelf for an aluminum pan to catch drippings? I bought a new Traeger Timberline XL a week ago and figured this would make clean up easier and also use the aluminum pan later in the cook to put the brisket or pulled pork in with the drippings. Thoughts?
Yes, I usually put something underneath. In fact, my go to setup is an to line an old cookie sheet with foil, put a (cooking grid) wire rack on top of that, then put my meat it. Much easier clean up

Brisket, yes. Pork butt not initially. I do place it in an aluminum pan at about 160 and cover with foil until 203.

I always put a cookie sheet covered in tin foil down when cooking brisket or pork butts, I put it under the bottom Rack so I loose no cooking room, I do not put water in the pan makes cleanup a breeze

I usually do with water unless I don't have room for smoke tubes.

Yes, especially if I want the juices for gravy or au jus, e.g., Thanksgiving turkey, rib roast, etc. I place mine below the grate on that slanted (foil covered) grease-dripper surface so it has to be on the left side where it is low enough to fit. So far no problem with temperature control or air circulation/ventilation.

Pans yes for me but no water. If you wish to get more smoke adherence and bark development (presence of moisture), I feel spritzing is far more effective than a water pan personally. I then take the meat and place in the pan and cover with foil in lieu of wrapping in foil or butchers paper separately. This accelerates the stall period and captures nearly all the seasoned juices. If you wish to further firm up the bark, simply remove from the pan and return to the grill naked. I don't do that but it's an option. Once the protein has rested an appropriate time them pull or slice. Take all the renderings you have collected in the pan and run through a fat separator and return the juices to the final product. Game changer. You now have a cleaner grill and a juicier and more flavorful end product.

Latest Discussions

Back