Alternative Temp Probes?

DVSCYCLES

Reaction score
Grill
TIMBERLINE 850
Are there other probes that will work with the Timberline and the wifire?
I would like one without the curved part, more just straight and insert.

Not seen any, but because I had such poor alarm performance in the app I had to shed it as I couldn't trust getting reliable alerts. And that is its primary function.

That's what drove me to the Fireboard unit. Local alerts, texts, and even email alerts. PLUS, they have needle probes, called competition probes. These are perfect!

So, this doesn't help for the WiFire temp, but if you spring for one, you will never look back.
8417AE85-6514-48B5-98F2-86DB85FD7F9C.jpeg

Not seen any, but because I had such poor alarm performance in the app I had to shed it as I couldn't trust getting reliable alerts. And that is its primary function.

That's what drove me to the Fireboard unit. Local alerts, texts, and even email alerts. PLUS, they have needle probes, called competition probes. These are perfect!

So, this doesn't help for the WiFire temp, but if you spring for one, you will never look back.View attachment 3334
Have you ever tried plugging one of those probes directly to the Traeger?

Have you ever tried plugging one of those probes directly to the Traeger?
The FireBoard temp probes use a two conductor Ultra Mini Phone Jack, and the stock Traeger probe is a Stereo Mini Phone Jack so no, I haven't bothered to make an adapter to see if they are compatible.

Besides, there are so many variations in the types of thermocouples and RTD sensors that even if it was physically plug compatible there's a very slim chance they are electrically/logically compatible.

I agree, Fireboard and don't look back. It just works!

I have used an iGrill 2 for several years. Been great and I like the graph capability.

I agree with Rick W’s post go with the FB with competition probes... I just us the Traeger probe for a relative reference.
‘The FB app even sends to my Apple Watch.....

Yep, John forgot to mention the comp probes, those tiny things are perfect without the big bulb on the end. Also got some of the probe organizer things.
Never let your wife wash the probes!!!
I used the included Traeger probe once... It was all over the place... maybe it got washed...
With the small comp probes, you can monitor temps of spaghetti squash that your wife grew in her garden and made you cook or a 1/4" thick slice of jerky. It does just work.

Are there other probes that will work with the Timberline and the wifire?
I would like one without the curved part, more just straight and insert.
For the price we paid for a Traeger we should have probes that read accurately.just got my pro 22 and it's way off. Will try offset procedure, but if it doesn't work, I expect traeger to correct or replace.

For the price we paid for a Traeger we should have probes that read accurately. just got my pro 22 and it's way off. Will try offset procedure, but if it doesn't work, I expect Traeger to correct or replace.
I don't disagree, but good luck with that.

That said, for those who really want to use the stock probe, I would get an excellent Instant read thermometer (something everyone should have as a base tool when cooking), like a Thermapen MK4.

Since the Traeger only has a single point calibration, I would NOT calibrate it with the ice bath, but instead with boiling water. Check the temp with the ThermaPen, and the Traeger, note the difference and then adjust the Traeger calibration offset to match the two thermometers.

Hopefully this will give a closer temp in the cooking ranges we use.

Sadly this won't help with the poor WiFire alert system, but hopefully Traeger will improve this over time in the app.

I don't disagree, but good luck with that.

That said, for those who really want to use the stock probe, I would get an excellent Instant read thermometer (something everyone should have as a base tool when cooking), like a Thermapen MK4.

Since the Traeger only has a single point calibration, I would NOT calibrate it with the ice bath, but instead with boiling water. Check the temp with the ThermaPen, and the Traeger, note the difference and then adjust the Traeger calibration offset to match the two thermometers.

Hopefully this will give a closer temp in the cooking ranges we use.

Sadly this won't help with the poor WiFire alert system, but hopefully Traeger will improve this over time in the app.
I can return the entire grill for refund!

I can return the entire grill for refund!

Now get a 575... I did... went from the 22 to 575 with a whole lot more features and a much more stable unit.

I've done Jerky on my 575, couldn't get my 22 to stay below 220° so i took it back!!!

Latest Discussions

Back