Advice on sous vide.

RayClem

Reaction score
Grill
Ironwood 885, Char-Griller Flat Iron Premium griddle, InkBird Sous Vide
I have been using my Ironwood for a month now. I am sold on the low and slow cooking.

Sous vide is another low and slow cooking method that seems to complement a pellet smoker.

I would appreciate any advice those of you who have tried sous vide could give me in getting started. That might include both things to look for as well as things to avoid. I have looked at several threads that mention sous vide.

Thanks in advance.

Everything depends on what your are cooking.
Times vary, but mostly if you can Vac Pac what you are cooking, then you have a safer and more contained environment, meaning certain 'danger' temps don't really apply.

If you don't own a Sous Vide then Amazon it.
Get a good tub made for Sous Vide and with a cage or weight system built in.

The search window (top right ) will get ya heading in the right direction...
I have looked at several threads that mention sous vide.
look at more, we have tons of stuff in here on this

Everything depends on what your are cooking.
Times vary, but mostly if you can Vac Pac what you are cooking, then you have a safer and more contained environment, meaning certain 'danger' temps don't really apply.

If you don't own a Sous Vide then Amazon it.
Get a good tub made for Sous Vide and with a cage or weight system built in.

The search window (top right ) will get ya heading in the right direction...

look at more, we have tons of stuff in here on this

I have had a Foodsaver vacuum sealer for years. It should work fine for sous vide packaging.

I looked at Amazon for various sous vide cookers and entire kits. The problem is that Amazon reviews range from 5 to 1. I do not know which reviews I can trust. For example, Anova cookers are rated highly at a number of review sites, but there are quite a few Amazon reviews that say they are so noisy they will drive you crazy, especially on an overnight cook. Also, with wattages ranging from 750 to 1200, how do I know which size is best.

I am far more likely to believe the folks on this forum than the random folks on Amazon.

I have an inkbird as well. I wound up getting my mom an inkbird too. They are a great value for an entry level product. The app works well also

smiley-signs011.gif
smiley-signs064.gif
smiley-signs115.gif
beef.gif
beef.gif
beef.gif
beef.gif

I saw the Inkbird. I know Inkbird thermometers have a good reputation, but it never showed up on any of the sous vide cooker comparison reviews. But like I said earlier, I put more faith in what you guys say than in some of the reviews. If I get an Amazon gift card from my daughter for Father's Day, I know how to put it to good use.

I have seen the threads about drilling a hole in the top of a Coleman cooler for an insulated sous vide container. But I need to find one that is not too big. I doubt I will be using it for a entire brisket, but a pork shoulder or chuck roast is definitely a possibility.

What do you use to keep the bags from floating or getting sucked up against the cooker? I have seen everything from rib racks to weighted stainless mesh to binder clips. As a retired engineer, I love finding ways of repurposing stuff I already own.

Ink Bird is good stuff, and another brand to look for is Anova. I have a Nano (I think it's called) and it works well. They have a model up that is wifi which is nice if you want to control/monitor while having a beer at your favorite pub!

If you belong to Costco they usually have a good kit that includes the sous vide and a container.

Ink Bird is good stuff, and another brand to look for is Anova. I have a Nano (I think it's called) and it works well. They have a model up that is wifi which is nice if you want to control/monitor while having a beer at your favorite pub!

If you belong to Costco they usually have a good kit that includes the sous vide and a container.
I am a Costco member and I was considering the Anova kit, but I have seen too many complaints about a whining noise on newer models.

I have an older Anova model. I think it’s just called “Precision Cooker”. Not sure if they still make it. No complaints. I mainly use it to cook steaks or chicken before searing on my gasser. And for reheating frozen leftovers.

I am a Costco member and I was considering the Anova kit, but I have seen too many complaints about a whining noise on newer models.
Mine did have a little whine but they replaced with no questions asked and it’s fine.

My son in law has one and it works well, too.

Mine did have a little whine but they replaced with no questions asked and it’s fine.

My son in law has one and it works well, too.
I know that the Costco return policy is unparalleled, but I still hate returning things.

I know that the Costco return policy is unparalleled, but I still hate returning things.
I hear yeah. I got mine on Amazon and went straight to Anova for the RMA.

I’ve had good luck with the new one. But like others have said, Ink Bird makes good stuff that is very inexpensive. I use a lot of their stuff in my beer hobby and have never had a problem.

I have been using my Ironwood for a month now. I am sold on the low and slow cooking.

Sous vide is another low and slow cooking method that seems to complement a pellet smoker.

I would appreciate any advice those of you who have tried sous vide could give me in getting started. That might include both things to look for as well as things to avoid. I have looked at several threads that mention sous vide.

Thanks in advance.
I have the Anova and have used it often for the past three years or so. Noise has never been an issue. Costco recently had it on sale with the cooking bin for around $160. I use a Foodsaver vacuum sealer and double seal the bags. It's a miracle tool.

Back