Add a "Smokin-It" Cold Smoke Generator to Timberline 850

RemE < you are indeed a Mad Scientist with your top of the line Traeger LOL. Another ridiculously cool mod! Love it!!!

RemE, had real bad lid condensation inside, made all the pellets on top all wet and fell apart like soggy cereal

My last use did it too, dripped a bunch of black creosote type junk down the side...

What can we put on top of the pellets that would insulate of soak up the condensation...???

Pellets also start sticking to the sides and not dropping down automatically

^^^^^^ I'll be waiting to see this ^^^^^^
That extension tube really helped
I will try the extension but I have little faith that this will cure the issue.

I installed the Bella to cold smoke with the grill off. The Bella design is a simple venturi that draws air from the side holes and the end caps. It's not designed to handle any back pressure.

My turkey came out great but the Bella was a fail. After shutdown, I had to empty the unit into a pan of water. There was lots of condensation and mushy pellets in the top half because the grill back pressure stalled the air flow out of my unit.

I think I will plug the Bella and use a smoke tube when a boost is needed during a cook.

I believe that the Smoke Daddy doesn't vent the same way and may be better suited for use with the grill running.

There has to be a tweak to keep that condensation down or add something to soak it up... it drips off the lid

I LOVE using this thing during smokes... not everyone but long ones for sure

Last edited:
There has to be a tweak to keep that condensation down or add something to soak it up... it drips off the lid

I LOVE using this thing during smokes... not everyone but long ones for sure
A possible fix would be to seal the unit and pump air into it so all flow would be out of the smoke tube. Right now the grill back pressure is reducing air flow out of the Bella, causing condensation.

Maybe silicone gasket seal in the lid, remove handle and put nipple there. Put slide covers on the ignition ports. Now dry air would pump from the top and from the stock venturi nipple. This should make it immune from grill back pressure.

I'm going to call the Bella folks and discuss.

Maybe silicone gasket seal in the lid, remove handle and put nipple there. Put slide covers on the ignition ports. Now dry air would pump from the top and from the stock venturi nipple. This should make it immune from grill back pressure.

Then just buy this for DUO air pumping...

Well, now I'm really kicking myself, cuz I must have just thrown away one of my old 4 port pond air pumps (they go bad every 2 years) and we could have used those nipples!!!!!!!!!!!!!
banghead.gif

You could use a fish pond pump ( find a quite one) and hang it on the bottom of the hopper then put a line / nipple on to the hopper to generate air flow. that should get rid of the condensation. possibly a rubber gasket between the top of the hopper and the lid.
The Hopper is not air tight so should not be a pressure issue, just moving the air. You might want to dry the air before pumping it into the hopper, depending on local humidity...

You could use a fish pond pump ( find a quite one) and hang it on the bottom of the hopper then put a line / nipple on to the hopper to generate air flow. that should get rid of the condensation. possibly a rubber gasket between the top of the hopper and the lid.
The Hopper is not air tight so should not be a pressure issue, just moving the air. You might want to dry the air before pumping it into the hopper, depending on local humidity...
The issue is that the grill is lightly pressurized, so it's pushing grill air into the Bella which defeats it normal operation.

So if we semi seal it and presurize it, it should work with the grill running.

OK, challenge accepted, threaded hose barbs, taps and bits, hoses, and 4 port pump all on the way. Thinking thru sealing the top cover with ceramic fiber gasket and 700F hi temp silicone.

Next up "Bella Turbo Quatro"...

Sorry I was looking at the hopper not the grill, I wanted to keep the hopper dryer so the pellets would remain useable...

Ok. I ran my Bella for the first time today smoking cheese and I was very happy at first but that turned very quickly. I had a mushy mess and it eventually stopped smoking. Lid was dripping water and I was just running the grill. I ran the grill at first to warm up the cold smoker attachment but shut the grill down after about 30 minutes. It works great at first but goes south real quick. I was going to call Smokn-it also to see what they say but maybe I’ll wait to see what you find out RemE.
I’m really, really glad to read you both are seeing the same issue I’m. I agree, we need to figure out something because I think this could be great for cold smoke as well as adding extra smoke when needed.
The only thing that makes me nervous is it happened to me without the grill running....it was cold here today 17 to a high of 33....hot inside, cold steel walls....this would also cause condensation. So what can I do to help RemE or Slimpicker..... anyone?

The video comparison of the Bella and Smoke Daddy showed hourly checks and no mush after 9 hours. This was tested with them blowing smoke into a cold grill. The air pump should push air out of the smoke tube. Fresh air should flow in thru the two side holes and from the leaky lid, thru the pellets, to the smoke tube and out.

Cold air should be dry, all I can think is that the air flow isn't high enough to allow the venturi smoke tube to do its magic.

I'll be a Bella expert next week!

Back